• Happy May Ray Day! 🌞😎🌻🩳🇩

DIY Bug Chaps

Reaction score
I've never been one to be terribly concerned about looking ridiculous, so this seemed right up my alley.

I recently made a new bug net for my hammock and with one of the off cuts I made a pair of these bug chaps. Almost no real effort went into them. I just sewed the off cut into one long tube then cut that in half, voilá, two pant legs. Then I just sewed a little tab on one end for the suspension and that was it. I didn't hem the edges or anything. The suspension is some paracord with a mitten hook prusiked on that can slide up and down as required and clips on a belt loop Around the ankles I just tied a piece of paracord like a shoelace and that was it.

I'll get a chance to try them out for reel next week in Algonquin. I aslo dipped them in permethrin when I did my hammock bug net.

I hate wearing actual long pants when its warm out and I also hate bug spray so I'll give this a go and see how they treat me.

View attachment FMyUQVmx5YkrfvN96xESnA7I3Yie0CezntnJb5VI0ty-a_3lqLLiZnO2KUwmK98VU0yXP7RYSsBtmyDSLan5u8m2GzWsHio-3K5h View attachment WuUKraM68x7oYMzeB7TMC8OeTW0Vp4HPhkRFh5FKDa8xspvlooSjtAzYHq0wpZKjGMY8BX2bTlMWmgnWM7OKrQwqp4qjJDkWSDAG

Two weeks ago I only used bug dope once in Algonquin, but then I wear a long sleeve shirt, long pants and a hat to cover my grape.

You'll be style'n in those chaps. Would they work better if the paracord went up thorough your pants and the top of the net was covered by your shorts? It seems they wouldn't catch on things as much.

I see these in LLBean next season.

I see these in LLBean next season.

LOL! They are pretty high fashion.
I'll see if they cause any problems being on the outside, only because I like the ease in which they don and doff. However, if they prove to be problematic I'll try them tucked in. Thanks for the suggestion, as obvious as it may seem, it hadn't really occurred to to me to run them on the inside. :D

Anxious to read the trip report on the nets !
Now to cover your feet ! :rolleyes:
Jim ​

Can't wait to hear how you liked wearing them. I get hot so easily that I typically wear shorts all year round and I live in central NYS. I know I should wear long sleeves, pants, etc. for both bug & sun protection but to do so would be to court heat issues. I anxiously await what you have to say about your creation. BTW...they look like rain chaps; and I already wear those (LOL).

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

Anxious to read the trip report on the nets !
Now to cover your feet ! :rolleyes:
Jim ​
I'm anxious to try them out, but my preference is that there will not be enough bugs to give them a proper test. :)

Can't wait to hear how you liked wearing them. I get hot so easily that I typically wear shorts all year round and I live in central NYS. I know I should wear long sleeves, pants, etc. for both bug & sun protection but to do so would be to court heat issues. I anxiously await what you have to say about your creation. BTW...they look like rain chaps; and I already wear those (LOL).

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper
I"m somewhat similar, if its warm out I want shorts on and if the bugs are out I still want shorts on, I'm hoping this works out to be a decent compromise.

I love it, especially repurposing old materials. I dislike long pants in hot humid weather and I’m not a big fan of zip-off legs. I have better luck taking the pants off in order to zip the leggings back in place, and sitting around commando while squinting at a zipper in Bugville sucks (blood).

I expect the bug chaps are lightweight, pack small. . . . and you could put them on while seated in the boat. I have not seen anything like bug chaps and think it is a great concept

Let us know how they field test, improvements etc.

BTW...they look like rain chaps; and I already wear those (LOL).

I think I still have a pair of rain chaps around from my poncho wearing days. Probably rolled up tightly and smelling of urethane vomit. I know I still have a couple pair or gaiters; those still get used.

Last edited:
Id wreck those in five minutes. I am a kneeler and already in my chair in the kitchen I am thinking ouch.

I'd bet you dollars to donuts right now that the Plaid Prancer is eyeing those net stockings thinking "Hey now, those would go great with my outfit!!" The fact they deter bugs is just a bonus.

Red, that's what I call thinking on your feet. Let us know how they work out. (And expect an order of 1- size large, from Geraldton)

I love it, especially repurposing old materials. I dislike long pants in hot humid weather and I’m not a big fan of zip-off legs. I have better luck taking the pants off in order to zip the leggings back in place, and sitting around commando while squinting at a zipper in Bugville sucks (blood).

I expect the bug chaps are lightweight, pack small. . . . and you could put them on while seated in the boat. I have not seen anything like bug chaps and think it is a great concept

Let us know how they field test, improvements etc.

I think I still have a pair of rain chaps around from my poncho wearing days. Probably rolled up tightly and smelling of urethane vomit. I know I still have a couple pair or gaiters; those still get used.
I too dislike zip off pants, of course I have several pair but I still dislike them. I may even make some pant legs that work along these lines so great is my dislike for the zip offs.
I'll report back on the efficacy of the bug chaps

Id wreck those in five minutes. I am a kneeler and already in my chair in the kitchen I am thinking ouch.
They will certainly have their limitations, but I won't know if I don't try. :)

I'd bet you dollars to donuts right now that the Plaid Prancer is eyeing those net stockings thinking "Hey now, those would go great with my outfit!!" The fact they deter bugs is just a bonus.

Red, that's what I call thinking on your feet. Let us know how they work out. (And expect an order of 1- size large, from Geraldton)

I was describing them to a coworker today and he's like "you're wearing fishnet stockings?" :)

Red, the real fashion crime you were committing is that you were modelling those wearing sandals. What? No heels?

Back