• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Cove and bead bit(s)

Reaction score
If I decide to mill my own strips and use cove and bead, I'll need the appropriate bit(s). Any recommendations on which one(s) to buy? My setup can use 1/4" or 1/2" shank, so I figure 1/2" is always better. I see that there are single bits that have both the cove and the bead cutters on one shank and others that have separate bits. I also see a huge range of prices.

My experience has been that some of the inexpensive bits have been pretty good, especially if you are going with 1/2" shank ones to eliminate bending issues. I have some cheap $8-12 round over bits that have years of use on them and are going strong. OTOH, I guess this is an operation where a lot of linear feet of material will be run through the bit. Does that equate to the necessity of $50+ bits?

I have a nice soft start speed controlled router that allows for running at correct speeds and avoids burning up large diameter bits by running them at excessive speed.

Thoughts on which bits to buy, how much to spend?

I think you have the right of it in that "not the most expensive" "not the cheapest", something midway is likely a good strategy, 1/2" shank is my preference, but for this small of a cutter, it really shouldn't be an issue.

Carbide cutting surfaces is also a good idea, since strips are invariably soft wood, they will literally be a one time purchase, mine have done strips for 5 canoes so far and are like new.

Brian

Sorry for the deleted reply, but my Ebay info was included in the post.

I bought a set of bits , 1/2" shank shipped for less than $20.

Back