• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Cooking Oil

Reaction score
What do you do about cooking oil for a long trip? Fried fish is the main use, but when using bulk foods, there are several applications. Are solid oils like coconut oil more efficient than liquids? Thanks.

I bring olive oil and ghee in small Nalgene bottle/containers. Coconut oil has a lower smoking point so it needs a bit more attention, but totally doable (healthier too).

Bob

Olive oil only for me. I use it to cook bannock and it goes in my rehydrated meals for added fat. If I was frying fish regularly I'd probably take something like peanut oil with a higher smoke temp.

I have no experience with coconut oil, or other solid oils, but I like to keep everything as clean as I can (myself included) when cooking because the less cleanup the better. So personally I'd never use anything I couldn't simply pour out and easily seal up.

Alan

Grape seed oil would be a good choice for when it’s tough to keep cook temps down, at least with my outdoor cooking experience level. Olive oil smokes too quickly.

😳 never thought of bringing that… I love boiled red potatoes smashed and fried crisp in duck fat. It does have a pungent aroma though.

That’s next level camp cooking there. Love it!

Bob
It really has a mild aroma. Its processed I think
Makes marvelous french fries at home

What a great question Black Fly. I traditionally bring lard on my longer trips, awesome for corn bread or bannock. I also boil my fish, almost never fry when in the bush. Now, duck fat … I never thought of that. That has got me thinking now, I may have to do some experimenting with this.

Bob.

I prepare bannock mix cutting in the lard and adding chosen dried fruit then pre-portion it into ziplock bags at home. At camp I only need to add water. It is baked on a dry skillet.
Other oils we have taken are usually extra virgin olive oil and coconut oil. Both are for lightly sautéing or stir fry, I like to give the fry pan a swipe of EVOO before doing the morning eggs.
We very rarely "deep fry" at home and never on trips. "Deep fry" to me is an inch of veg oil.

spritz bottle and air fryer called a convection oven
I have a deep fat fryer too
I need to sell it before it just crumbles from
lack of use

Source for "free" duck fat.......

1. Go to Costco
  2. visit the frozen section
  3. pick up a 3 pack of duck breasts
  4. prepare the duck breasts as per the instructions (on the package or via Google)
  5. enjoy the duck breasts
  6. pour off the fat which has collected in the pan (it will be a lot) into a nalgene
  7. put the container in the fridge
  8. remember to take the container with you when you leave for your next trip.
  9. when you return home book a visit with your cardiologist!
1645390723374.png

I just take ghee from Trader Joe's. Don't fish but the few occasions I have a little ghee and lemon juice with filets wrapped in foil. Suspect it would work in a pan. Mostly used for eggs and as butter on biscuits and quick breads, potatoes, so on. Right size plastic jar. I put a half tongue depressor in it. (Other half lives in peanut butter jar.)

I will just leave this here for your reading https://www.webmd.com/diet/duck-fat-is-it-good-for-you

Source for "free" duck fat.......

1. Go to Costco
  2. visit the frozen section
  3. pick up a 3 pack of duck breasts
  4. prepare the duck breasts as per the instructions (on the package or via Google)
  5. enjoy the duck breasts
  6. pour off the fat which has collected in the pan (it will be a lot) into a nalgene
  7. put the container in the fridge
  8. remember to take the container with you when you leave for your next trip.
  9. when you return home book a visit with your cardiologist!
View attachment 129734

OK I read the link.........I like this part, they call it a "risk" but I call it a bonus.

On long trips I usually lose 10 - 15% of my bodyweight (highest ever was 18% on a 50 day trip) and I have very little extra available to give up on day one. Sounds like I should be taking LOTS of duck fat and eating at least 3 tablespoons every day because multiple chocolate bars are just not doing the trick.

Weight Gain

It’s important to consider duck fat’s high calorie count when you’re deciding whether to cook with it. A single serving of duck fat consists of just one tablespoon, which contains 113 calories.

Many recipes that use duck fat call for far more than that and, as a result, can be surprisingly high in calories.

If you’re trying to lose weight for health reasons, swapping out high-calorie foods for lower-calorie options is a great approach. Limiting recipes that include duck fat in the ingredients may help.

Olive oil for drizzling for taste purposes, but for actual frying I use canola oil (higher smoke point). Carry it in a repurposed water bottle, then in a large ziplic bag (jyst in case)

All fats have approximately the same number of calories. Whether you choose duck fat or olive oil. Butter or lard. The health benefits or deficits come from whether or not the fat is saturated or not.

Fats and oils have the highest concentration of calories per weight. So they are the most efficient method of hauling around calories. On a long, active trip, fats are a good thing to have along.

I usually take a small amount of olive oil. I can't remember why at the moment. What I remember is often wishing I had it when I didn't take it.

Coconut oil, while solid at room temperature, melts quickly as the temperature goes up. So on a sunny day, that coconut oil will likely turn liquid, unless you have it packed deeply. Just something to keep in mind.

What about good ol' vegetable oil or corn oil? Are they heavier than say Canola? I always take too much or too little oil. Interesting to know what you take for a 7 day trip. I know it will vary by cooking habits, but still an interesting comparison.

I took an 8oz bottle of olive oil on my 10 day BWCA trip. Lightly greased the skillet for fish suppers and added about a teaspoon to almost anything dehydrated. I had bacon along to lube the skillet for the eggs and I brought back about 1/2 a bottle of oil.

I wouldn't think there's a bit of weight difference with any of the oils although the smoke points & imparted flavors will vary widely. There is probably a big difference in saturated vs unsaturated fats also but, thankfully, I've never had to watch such things (at least, not YET...)

Olive oil for drizzling for taste purposes, but for actual frying I use canola oil (higher smoke point). Carry it in a repurposed water bottle, then in a large ziplic bag (jyst in case)
same here but I use various small poly nalgine containers- they're tougher than tough- I once ran over a 1/2c one by accident one day, and while the lid did go about 100 feet, the container itself was still intact and somewhat useable. I reinflated it completely at home by capping it and putting it in boiling water for a few minutes- the resulting pressure pushed the sides back out.
As for lard, butter or any fats (including ghee), they're not on my menu with my bad ticker....

I use collapsible plastic bags for my oil. Before using them for the first time I tested them by throwing them on the ground and standing on them and they held up fine. No problems on my trips yet. It's nice that they take up less space as they empty. And they're reusable. I can't remember the exact amount but on my long trips of 30+ days oil took up a considerable volume since I used a lot of it for the fat/calories.

I use olive oil because of the taste. Adding half an ounce of corn or "vegetable" oil to my meals doesn't sound very appealing and I love bannock cooked in olive oil. If you get the amount right the bannock will soak it all up and get a golden, crusty, flaky crust that's hard to beat.

Alan

Back