• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Fry Pan vs Porridge Pot

Reaction score
In Sigurd Olsen's Lonely Land (1961) he says:
"Boiling fish is common in the North. The Indians (sic) boil it with a little flour, or broil oily fish like trout. Only white men resort to the frying pan."
I'd always thought frying was the traditional method, but it seems to be a more modern approach.
Fish fry vs Chowder. Is there a "best" method? Has anyone tried both the fry pan and the pot? Which do you prefer?
Should I leave the cooking oil and fish mix at home?

I once had a First Nations experience with boiled Sturgeon. Having never eaten sturgeon previously I had nothing to compare but my opinion at the time was "what a waste of fish".

On a group trip to Quetico, I was given a pot to carry for the group, can’t remember if it was cast iron or aluminum but it was arkward and had no place on the trail imo. Turns out the new guy to the group had a great recipe for fish in that pot. While it wasn’t the worst meal I ever had on a trip, Quetico walleye fried over the fire in a frying pan was so much better.

The taste of a quintessential fish fry grows old quickly on a long trip. I’ve resorted to baking in the frybake with a drop of oil, little salt and pepper and lemon spice and add it to any meal as a protein. Fills the hole nicely.

Well, as I often mention, I paddle solo … so my cooking only has to satisfy me. I do not carry oil nor breading but eat walleye often on a trip. I boil my fish. I do season it, but it is boiled not fried. Easy to clean, ( the pan ) no lingering odors enticing larger critters, but mostly I just like it that way … most do not. Boiling works For me, I usually use my cold handle fry pan and cut my fillets to fit.

Being from Wisconsin and having spent much time starting in childhood in northeastern Wisconsin I have enjoyed fish boils. The fish, typically Lake Michigan whitefish, is boiled in a large pot over a wood fire along with vegetables. Tasty if the dull grey color of the fish doesn’t bother you.

Another Wisconsin tradition is the Friday fish fry which more recently may also include baked fish as an option.

On all of my canoe trips the fish have always been fried and always will be.

I'll usually boil trout because I hate messing with little bones and picking at a fish carcass for with my fork for nibbles of meat. Anything I can fillet boneless most often gets fried, but I've grown tired of heavily breaded deep fried fish and do minimal oil and light seasoning these days. Big trout or Salmon I'll cut into steaks and put directly on the grill.

Mark

Back