• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Cook Books

G

I hope this thread isn't considered redundant, given that cook books have been mentioned elsewhere throughout this forum. I thought it might be helpful if there were a cook book library here on canoetripping. So, do you have any favourites you rely on for your outdoor sojourns?
The few I've been gifted and given are more suited to picnic hamper campers than canoe tripping. Instead we rely on internet ideas and making it up from old reliable campfire meals from years past. We eat well, but I'd appreciate suggestions from the vast and varied culinary experienced here on this forum. Both fresh and dehydrated recipe books would be welcome. Thanks everyone.
hungry for ideas,
Brad

To be perfectly honest I have yet to find a cookbook suited for canoeing that didn't involve either carrying extensive fresh products or fancy kitchen gear. Now there is nothing wrong with that but it's not my style.

I look for basic, easy and healthy and therefore have been focusing on trying to create my own. But would love to hear others experiences about cook books. Already have a few I want to look into further.

For recipes based on dehydrating or bringing non perishable foods I use Backcountry Cooking and More Backcountry Cooking both by Dorcas Miller. and the Back-Country Kitchen by Teresa Marrone.

I haven't used the latter book much yet but the Hunan Style Lamb Stir fry sounds interesting. I have not tried dehydrating lamb yet.

I don't carry much fresh food at all. Not in the Everglades and certainly not in Woodland Caribou

No cook book, but I can recommend triple cold smoked bacon from European Meats in Thunder bay. I buy eight large slabs of it each spring for our school. We eat one slab every morning. The cooks cut the slab up the night before and cook it over the fire each morning. Pieces are often the size of small pork chops. It is the best food in the world, ambrosia. However, it must be cooked over fire in order to be at it's best.

I looked up More Backcountry Cooking, must be a great book, Amazon has it list for $1,771.44.

YC you might want to put your copy on the market.

Attachments

• BCC.jpg
    BCC.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Camp Cooking by Black Feather Guides. Believe they are a major outfitter and wrote this book specifically with canoe tripping in mind. Loads of beautiful pics and visuals of the dishes (if that matters). I found the recipes oriented towards feeding larger group sizes but of course everything can be proportioned down for the solo canoeist.

CampCooking-Cover.jpg

Sweeper I can't find that selling price.. I do think some of the sellers on Amazon are on crack..Its not even out of print! Wow I cant get that for my first edition, signed, of the Conquest of Everest!

Ermegerd! I just got hungry and gained 5 pounds looking at memequay's bacon selfie.
Thanks YC, I think I've come across D. Miller mentioned in dehydrating recipe posts on the web. I'll check her books out. My wife adores lamb. If I could master a lamb recipe (for night 7 ?) I'd be a hero (and a magician).
Black Feather is a guide service (with an office in Ottawa?). I didn't know about their cookbook, thanks Murat.
My brother gave me a cookbook with recipes trail tested for hiking, backcountry skiing, rafting, and pack muling; each with a mini trip report. The trip descriptions were as wonderful as the recipes, but the menus still seemed too large and heavy for canoeing. Unless I bought a mule. That could swim. Never mind.

Last edited:
Looks like when I finish my course in Geography I'll have to take a course in Cooking. There's still plenty of winter left.

Hawkvittles.com has a bunch of great recipes... :D

ok. not really. but it's exactly how I cook... lazy as a Chicago politician, simple as a turnip... I'm afraid all I cook from scratch is S'Mores.

Hawkvittles.com has a bunch of great recipes... :D
Hawk got his start in Hawkvittles with recipes from Linda Yaffe's book. Using that and a bit of practice, it is easy to develop your own recipes depending on what you like and how creative you want to be. Hawk has progressed way beyond those recipes, but they are an excellent start for anyone wanting to get into dehydrating excellent meals. I've seen the book available for free from time to time on Kindle.

See:
Backpack Gourmet: Good Hot Grub You Can Make at Home, Dehydrate, and Pack for Quick, Easy and Healthy Eating on the Trail - Linda Yaffe

Linda's book is a great way to start. She has another book which was published before "Gourmet", IIRC it was called High Trail Cookery. It is also on my shelf somewhere. Another one with great dehydrated meal recipes is by Laurie Ann March. Like Linda, she recommends cooking the entire meal and then dehydrating it. One place she differs is her method of removing the bigger (meat) chunks to dry separately. She also uses a neat technique to know how much water to add. I use Linda's method of eyeballing it, but for those who are detail oriented may like Laurie Anns method better.

Back