• Happy National No Socks Day! 🧦🚫👣

Chilli con Canoetripping

Alan, everyone, have you ever dehydrated edamame? It looks to be an excellent protein replacement but I've never tried it. I was thinking of including it into a dehydrated bean salad for one of those quick non-fire meals. Your opinion?

Odyssey, I use the same method as you.. Parchment paper over the trays and just dehydrate a complete one-pot meal instead of drying separate ingredients and making "hamburger rocks". In the winter I tend to use fatty ingredients like bacon so I haven't tried dehydrating a bunch of stuff I've made this winter. Just made a huge batch of chili but we ate it all week and now there's nothing left to dehydrate. I should start soon, though. Always leave it to the last minute and then I'm scrambling to dry everything in time.
Pulled pork is a favourite. I cook it in the slow cooker, let it cool and remove the rendered fat, then blot out the extra grease as it dries.

Alan, everyone, have you ever dehydrated edamame? It looks to be an excellent protein replacement but I've never tried it. I was thinking of including it into a dehydrated bean salad for one of those quick non-fire meals. Your opinion?

I've never done edamame but don't see why it wouldn't work. I have done lots of other legumes though and I'm not so sure about the "non-fire" part of your plan. With the exception of chick pees, which can kind of be chewed after dehydration, the other beans I've tried have been as hard as they were before cooking and dehydrating. If you wanted a cold bean salad I think your best option would be to rehydrate the night before or in the morning and eat them later, after they'd cooled off.

Alan

Tear_knee, my other half is a real meat & potatoes kinda gal, this half however will tuck into just about anything. I've had great luck with dehydrating chicken (separately) for Thai or Indian curry concoctions. We used to freeze the chicken strips and use them on day 1, but I no longer want to flirt with raw or partially cooked chicken. Dehydrating is the way to go. I wish, oh how I wish there was a way to dehydrate an entire prime rib steak! Oh baby! But as it is we're stuck with hamburger (blend) for our red meat protein. I need to get off the chili con spaghetti meat sauce chuck wagon, and try different recipes.
We still have some left overs form last year, they'll keep till this summer's menus. Shepherd's pie is a real fireside gut buster.

Thanks Alan. If beans take so much rehydrating I might as well just cook a meal with them and not bother with a salad idea.
Do you keep them separate or include them in a meal for dehydrating?

Last edited:
Odyssey: Try the pulled pork! We eat it with biscuits or in burritos.
Get yourself a nice pork shoulder. Trim some fat off the top and brown it. Throw it in the slow cooker with some diced onion, garlic, a can of tomato paste, chopped chipotles, a cup or so of ketchup, several tablespoons of worcestershire sauce, a bay leaf, splash of bourbon, and whatever other seasonings you want (maybe a spoonful of dijon, a swig of maple syrup)... Make the flavour pretty powerful, because you'll probably end up dabbing up some sauce in the dehydrating step. Cook on low for about 10 hours, then "pull" with two forks until shredded. Let cool overnight, remove layer of fat, and spread on the trays. Use paper towel to mop up extra grease and voila!

Last edited:
I don't think anyone has mentioned making jerky in the dehydrator. It works great for "whole-meat" or ground meat. I am sure many on here have much more experience than myself. Our last batch was marinated beef started in the smoker and dried in the dehydrator. It didn't last very long!

LOL.....oh yeaaah I make jerky in the dehydrator. I have the same problem you do...it doesnt last very long. When I do manage to make enough to take tripping I end up walking through the bush with my shirt pocket full of jerky. Not exactly bear smart.

Our slow cooker seldom sees the light of day, and that's a darn shame. Good recipe Tear-knee, thanks for that, it's something I'll try.
You can make jerky from ground meat?! Thanks Mnoutdoorfunguy!
Iskweo. Hear that? Listen. Didya hear that!? That's the sound of me falling off the "non-cook cold bean salad wagon".

You can make jerky from ground meat?!

Before I attained enlightenment (;)) that's how I used to make mine. You can buy a jerky gun to shoot them out in the traditional strips but I never bothered getting one. First time I rolled the ground beef out between layers of plastic wrap and then tried to cut narrow strips out of that but that proved to be, at least for me, quite difficult. So for simplicity sake I started making all my beef jerky into thin, roundish, patties. Pull of a chunk, smash it flat, and drop it on the tray.

I'd also use my jerky for cooking soup, pasta, or rice dishes. Just tear it up into smaller pieces and drop in the pot to rehydrate while the rice is cooking.

Everyone seems to recommend using lean ground beef.

Alan

With the exception of chick pees, which can kind of be chewed after dehydration, the other beans I've tried have been as hard as they were before cooking and dehydrating. If you wanted a cold bean salad I think your best option would be to rehydrate the night before or in the morning and eat them later, after they'd cooled off.

Alan

Yes some of the commercially available dried beans/peas are difficult to rehydrate. They are either still hard or turn to mush. What I have been able to do is dry the frozen peas with great success. I have some frozen beans from my garden, maybe that will work too. The home dried stuff always has super good flavour compared to the store bought as well. Onions, peppers, celery( yes it is tiny...lol) all work well and have big flavour.

Buying bags of red kidney beans has worked out but they take quite a longish time to recover. I prefer to use canned for that, simply for the convenience. The sites always have an archeological treasure trove of old cans once you get away from the parks where the LNT nazis rule.

Brad ....we dry hamburger all the time to use in chili and spaghetti and such...just cumble it up and turn on the drier. The hard part is NOT snacking on it as it cooks...lol. I suppose you could precook it and drain/rinse the grease off then finish dry it...much quicker.

Christy

Yup, I dry hamburger also. Never knew about ground meat jerky.
I use only canned beans for salads and stuff. Rinse well, and away ya go. I still might try drying them.
I'm looking at drying roasted red peppers this year.
I'm curious about drying coleslaw too. Sounds good to have a salad on day 6+.

Brad ....we dry hamburger all the time to use in chili and spaghetti and such...just cumble it up and turn on the drier. The hard part is NOT snacking on it as it cooks...lol. I suppose you could precook it and drain/rinse the grease off then finish dry it...much quicker.

Christy

I learned to dry ground beef from Harlan at solotripping. Cook in pan till done. Boil water in another pan while cooking. Drain off the majority of grease and dump in a big bowl. Pour the hot water in the bowl and stir. Wait a few and then stir again. All the grease will float to the top. Refrig over night and then remove the congealed fat with a spatula in the morning then dry the meat. I like to season with garlic and onion powders and black pepper while cooking it. Dave

Last edited:
I often see the hot water bath method recommended to remove fat. I skip the hot water bath for ground beef. I sauté the leanest ground beef I can find, along with finely chopped onion, garlic, and a few herbs, salt, and pepper. Usually there is little if any fat in the pan after cooking. What little there might be I drain off. If I want to degrease as much as possible, I press it with paper towels in a thin layer between two sheet pans. Sometimes I don't even do that. The small amount of remaining fat is where the flavor lives.

I will often mix in a couple of tablespoons of flour at the end of cooking, a tip I picked up a long time ago. This, along with the onion and herbs, make it very tasty and easily adaptable to a number of dishes that you can add it to. I bag it and store it in the freezer until time to travel. Never had any problem with it at ambient temperature in the field for two weeks or more, no rancidity at all from the small amount of remaining fat. Limitless applications.

Thanks yknpdlr. I've wondered about the rinsing I do to the cooked lean hamburger. Yes, there's a lot of flavour in the fat, well marbled steaks being the best example. Adding flour is a handy tip.

Want a tasty dehydrated salad?

Coleslaw.... there are wonderful crispy coleslaw (shredded cabbage) recipes available.... just look for those that do not include oil. Dehydrated cabbage is unique because it returns 100% to its original crispness after soaking in cold water for 30 minutes.

The recipe from Backpacker magazine is a favorite of mine. Easy to make and it goes a long way with a group. I replace half the cider vinegar with balsamic vinegar for extra kick. Simply pour cold water in a bag of the dehydrated stuff, enough to cover, then pour out the excess after 20-30 minutes. Tender and crunchy.

http://www.backpacker.com/skills/beginner/packable-salads/2/

Meh, I leave a ton of fat in my dehydrated meals. I store them in the freezer until a trip anyway, and they're unlikely to spoil in a month. Think about room-temp butter.. Have you ever had it turn rancid? I prefer to go the flavour and calories route and keep some of that tasty fat in there. I'd never rinse my hamburger meat.
About coleslaw.. Does it lose some of its flavour after dehydrating? Because acetic acid evaporates at like 105 degrees or so, and I usually run my dehydrator in the 140-180 range. I suppose I could dehydrate the cabbage separately and add oil and the juice from that lonely lemon sitting at the bottom of the barrel on day ten..

About coleslaw.. Does it lose some of its flavour after dehydrating? Because acetic acid evaporates at like 105 degrees or so, and I usually run my dehydrator in the 140-180 range. I suppose I could dehydrate the cabbage separately and add oil and the juice from that lonely lemon sitting at the bottom of the barrel on day ten..
The recipe I reference has plenty of tart flavor. Using partial balsamic vinegar helps with keeping the flavor level high.

Last edited:
Want a tasty dehydrated salad?

Coleslaw.... there are wonderful crispy coleslaw (shredded cabbage) recipes available.... just look for those that do not include oil. Dehydrated cabbage is unique because it returns 100% to its original crispness after soaking in cold water for 30 minutes.

The recipe from Backpacker magazine is a favorite of mine. Easy to make and it goes a long way with a group. I replace half the cider vinegar with balsamic vinegar for extra kick. Simply pour cold water in a bag of the dehydrated stuff, enough to cover, then pour out the excess after 20-30 minutes. Tender and crunchy.

http://www.backpacker.com/skills/beg...able-salads/2/

Now that sounds good ! Thanks for the post !

OK I found a can of Haggis in the local general store ( its kind of a boutique store in a barn). I found a recipe for egg, potato, and sliced and sauteed Haggis. Do I dare?

The can keeps mentioning that whisky needs to be used as a topping or accompaniment.

YC, perhaps the instructions on the can are hinting that a mug of whiskey is needed in advance in order to brave the contents of the can; if weight is an issue, maybe leave the can behind and double up on the whiskey.

Back