• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Gear review after 42 day trip

Reaction score
Mike has been patiently nudging me to get this done for months now. First I thought I'd wait until winter set in. Then I had an Arizona trip to get ready for. Now it's almost spring and I still haven't done anything. I did type it up one evening but wasn't at all happy with how it came out, way too long and wordy and wandering. Part of the problem is that while Mike seems to be a gear perfectionist and gets enjoyment from getting a solid system put together and organized I'm usually content to just make do with whatever I'm used to and don't change until forced to by necessity. I can be a bit indifferent to many parts of my gear so it makes it hard to give a real review.

Then the other day I remembered towards the end of the trip, while tent bound for multiple days, out of boredom I started making "trip notes" about how gear and food had worked out. It was interesting to look back over them and they're copied below, sometimes with extra notes or clarification.

For anyone who missed it this is the trip in question: http://www.canoetripping.net/forums...on-lake-to-goose-lake-nunavut-border-and-back

1: Bring rain pants. Would make it nicer to walk around camp on rainy days. Especially when main pants are wet and just wearing thermal bottoms. I only brought one pair of pants, which for the most part worked out fine. If they were still wet when it was time for bed I'd change into my thermal bottoms.

2: No more single wall shelters. Condensation not really that big of a deal but very annoying at times, especially when stuck inside by the rain. I was using a CCS Lean 1 for my only shelter. For the most part it worked out fine and came in very handy on occasion. Not so handy on others. I still use the shelter but probably won't do so again on another long trip like this. There's more discussion of the Lean in the trip report, mostly towards the beginning.

3: Could probably get by well with a hammock in the areas I traveled. Trees are larger and better rooted than farther south on the shield. Woods are more open as well. Quite a few sites that wouldn't work with the tent because of slope but would be fine for hammock.

4: No more wood paddles! Blade started to split/crack after two weeks of light use. Was ascending a rapid and heard it crack but thought it impossible as it shouldn't have been that stressed. My lightweight carbon paddles have taken much worse. I was so disgusted with that paddle I could have spit nails. What a piece of crap! Nostalgia talked me into buying a wood paddle for shallow moving water instead of a carbon whitewater paddle. I went with a Bending Branches Expedition Plus. I believe that's the sturdiest paddle they build at 24 ounces. The thing felt like a club compared to my 10oz. carbon paddle. I hadn't been running much whitewater and it had hardly been used it all. Then, ascending a rapid, it wedged between two rocks and must have twisted and cracked the face of the blade. I thought I heard crunching wood fibers but thought I was hearing things since there's no way it should have been damaged by that. It wasn't until a couple days later I noticed the split running up the blade. Thankfully the blade was fiberglassed on both faces and that seemed to keep it from getting worse. The paddle was on light duty for the rest of the trip and I cursed every time I had to carry the worthless thing over a portage. Many times I've had worse things happen to my 10-12oz carbon paddles and expected to pull back half a blade but they've always come through unscathed. The only place I'd give the wood blade credit was when using it as a pole. My carbon blades contact rocks all the time and I use them to push off rocks but with the wood blade you can do so much more forcefully without excessive tip damage.

5: Camp shoes should be Goretex or otherwise semi-waterproof. Need something to keep feet dry when walking in the rain/wet undergrowth around camp.

6: 8" skillet is the perfect size. Whole cook set is about perfect. 1.4L pot that's deeper than it is wide and 16oz. stainless mug. Might be nice to have bail hanger on pot. Last year I used a 10" skillet. It was too big. Bulkier to pack and took longer to heat.

7: Alcohol stove (Trangia) worked well with the twig stove (Littlbug Jr). Started with 16oz. of fuel and finished with 3oz. left. I didn't use any fuel until day 29 of the trip when I got lazy and tired of the constant wet weather and started cooking some meals inside the tent.

8: Top quilt as opposed to sleeping bag worked nicely. Glad I bought a "wide" version for sleeping on the ground. I already had a standard width (from Hammock Gear) for sleeping in the hammock but this proved too narrow for good coverage on the ground. Their "wide" version was better but it was still easy to get drafty spots. On nights when it got into the 30's or lower, especially when the wind was blowing, an actual sleeping bag, or maybe just a bivy bag, would have been nice to cut down on drafts.

9: Some field guides would be nice, especially for wind/rain days. Books ad a lot of weight. During good weather I'm busy and don't read a lot but when wind and rain became common towards the end I quickly read and re-read the books I'd brought. I know my birds enough that a bird field guide isn't really necessary but one for plants would have been welcome. Oh, and one for mushrooms. Lots and lots of mushrooms up there.

10: Thermometer would be interesting to check air and water temps

11: Don't rely on 1:250,000 maps. Too many small islands omitted. Not always enough shoreline detail. Wide contour bands make it harder to orientate and find prospective camps and portage routes. To cut down on the number of maps I needed to buy/pack I used 1:250,000 scale for some of the larger lakes like Wollaston and Kasmere. They got me by but weren't ideal.

12: What do do about shoes? Water and air up here way too danged cold to be wet-footing it. Need something that keeps feet dry but can handle having water go over the tops. Waterproof to ankle high would cover 90% of the portages and getting in and out of the canoe. It's the other 10% that end up calf/knee/thigh/waist deep that will be tougher. With highs sometimes in the 40's and 50's my feet would be numb nearly all day. They'd warm up on portages but also get a fresh soaking and soon go numb again when paddling. Even after changing into dry shoes and socks at camp my big toes would sometimes still be numb when I went to bed.

13: Mount compass on underside of front thwart so I can read direction when portaging. Many of the portages didn't have a trail. Or else there were multiple caribou trails that would lead me off course. I knew which heading I needed to keep and being able to see a compass with the canoe on my head would have come in handy multiple times.

14: 'Buff' is a real winner. This is a thin sleeve or gaitor that goes over your neck. It provides a little warmth when it's cool and blocks the sun without overheating when it's hot and sunny. It can also be pulled up over the back of your head to block more sun (or provide warmth) or can be used like a balaclava. Wetting it with water on hot days felt great as did the extra warmth and wind blocking on cold days and when sleeping. I think I only took it off once or twice during the whole trip.

15: Spray decks are great. Definitely do full robust covers when Sadie isn't along.

16: The heavy fleece is great. Would be ok without it using the other two long sleeved shirts and jacket but it's so nice to slip it on after making camp. I like that it has pockets. I sleep in it many nights and it would be chilly without. I'd planned to leave this in the car but packed it at the put-in because of the chilly weather. A few days after making this entry in my notebook the daily high was 41 degrees with cloudy skies and 30mph winds and rain. I would have been quite a bit chiller without that fleece.

17: The two foam sit pads are very handy for multiple purposes. Keep bringing. These were just small pieces of cut up foam sleeping pad, about butt sized. Warm and dry to sit on and also a dry place to stand when changing clothes. Or a warm and dry place to put feet when sitting. Or just a dry place to put things when the ground is wet.

18: Bow and stern ropes should be different colors to help quickly ID which is which when lining/tracking and holding both ropes in same hand.

19: Bow and stern lines should be longer. I think these are 27'. A few more feet would have been nice on occasion.

20: Combination of vented ball cap and waterproof wide-brimmed hat was a winner

21: Was good to bring hatchet. Not used often but handy on the odd occasion I needed to split larger wood. Used most often to limb and de-bark the spruce poles I'd make for my shelter.

22: Look for better spatula. Wider for better bannock flipping but still with straight sides for scraping pot. Something a little sturdier would be nice. Serrations on the side of the one I have are worthless. I never cut anything with it. All they do is make it hard to scrap pancake batter from the sides of the pot and hurt my tongue and lips when I like it clean. I've been using the MSR Alpline spatula. Packs up nice and small and has gotten my by for 75 days of canoe tripping but I might get something a little more functional.

Food notes:

I packed what I hoped was enough food for 45 days. The trip lasted 42.

Sadie nearly ran out of food. I started giving her some of mine to supplement for the last week or so. She ended with about 1 1/2 quarts left. Probably would have made it without me giving her some of mine.

Sadie and I didn't work as hard as our Bloodvein trip but she still seemed to eat a lot and certainly didn't put on any weight. I felt like I was eating a lot but , at least for the first 30 days, the barrel never seemed to empty. Sadie's food was higher calorie, protein, and fat than her normal food I brought on the Bloodvein.

No more eggs and potatoes. Don't care for it that much. Longer and messier to cook. And doesn't seem to fill me up no matter how much I eat. Would rather eat oatmeal. Keep bringing some eggs for making pancakes.

Not necessary to bring so much powdered milk (I'd take about 3/4 quart). Just a little for pancakes would be fine. Only used once in oatmeal.

Just a little shy on oatmeal. Only had 1 full serving left. Portion size was usually two of the biggest handfuls I could do.

Little short on sugar. Was actually perfect for the amount of oatmeal I'd brought. Would have liked to do pancakes more than once but couldn't spare the sugar to make syrup. Usually used 1 1/2 to 2 spoonfuls.

Raisins were good

Lemon drops were good

M&Ms were good

Almonds were good. Probably would have been too many but with the wet/cold weather the last 2 weeks a lot of meals were replaced with almonds. The 2 pounds of chocolate powder coated almonds was just right. I took too many of the chocolate coated ones on the Bloodvein trip. They're a nice snack in small quantities but on that trip should have had more plain and less chocolate.

A little long on dried fruit. Had two 1qt. baggies left

Took 30 days to use the first 2oz of salt but almost ran out in the end. Think I got a little too liberal after that and also made more eggs/potatoes and pasta that required more salt.

Way too many beans. Service size was about 1/2 what it was on the Bloodvein. Used one normal handful per meal, sometimes less depending on how the bowels were doing. About 3 1/2 to 4 one quart baggies left.

Was a little long on "grains" but not much. Only a couple servings of farro and quinoa left and about 1 quart of pasta.

No more pasta. Don't care for it in the meals I cook. Farro is ok but takes longer to rehydrate. Quinoa by far the best. Rehydrates well and tastes good. Pasta requires more salt, has less taste of its own.

No need to being dried tomatoes anymore

Veggies about perfect. 1 quart left. Serving size was usually two of the biggest handfuls I could do.

Grains serving size was usually 2 large handfuls.

Little long on hot chocolate. Little under 2 quarts left. Was a chilly trip and I drank it most nights. Rarely in the morning. Serving size was 2 heaping spoonfuls.

About 1 1/2 quarts of bannock left. Felt like I ate a lot of it. Sometimes ate in conjunction with dinner but not often. Usually alone with peanut butter

Long on peanut butter. Brought three 40oz jars and hardly got into the 3rd.

Nearly ran out of oil. Started to ration. Was probably an ok amount but I started using more and more to cook bannock.

With the exception of overshooting beans and undershooting oatmeal a little amounts were very good. Could have comfortable gone the full 45 days and still had a little to spare.

Without Sadie's food I think I could do 45 days out of the 60L barrel. With Sadie's food the 60L barrel is good for about 30 days.

Alan

Wow Alan that is great!! I ave friends that do 2-3 months trips every year or so and I'm always amazed at what they use for gear, they are really not gear freak and John always wear a pair of regular(read cheap) rubber boots and a pair of hiking shoe/boot. Anna is a bit more into fancy gear, but really they use really basic stuff. As for the paddle, it sucks that the paddle you use didn't last especially with eh name it have, Expedition Plus lol you would think that thing would be the bomb... But I've seen and herd of a lot of bending branches paddle that didn't last nearly as long as they were supposed to. I think it is not the fact that it was a wood paddle that was the problem but a poorly made one. Anyhow, now you know what work for you and won't have the same issue on the next trip!
When and where is your next trip planed?

I noticed that you didnt take much rice with you? I like to take some of those sidekicks but a bag of just parboiled rice would be ok too. Oatmeal. Like Wilford Brimley would say, it's the right thing to do...lol. Seriously, you have that one right. I do oatmeal at least 4 mornings a week at home. Mix in some raisins and crans and you have a meal. Almonds go good there too. Pretty universal.
You really do need to look at fishing for meal supplements Alan. There is a lot to be said for fresh protein after a week on dry rations.

I totally hear you about wet feet. The only real answer that I have found is waders. I have a pair of lightweight hip waders that are nylon uppers with foam stocking feet. If you look at the foam ones that are almost like a dry suit you will get the idea. Yes yes I know. Soooooo many stories about people drowning wearing hip waders etc. But that was the old days when no one wore PFD's. I would go with a boot foot instead of stocking though...it's tough to get a boot that they fit into without them being overly large and clumsy feeling. Its nice to be dry on a rainy day with lots of in and out of the boat action.

All in all that was a truly epic run and you are an excellent woodsman.

That was an interesting read, Thanks. I see a lot of folks wearing rubber boots in pictures and videos from trips up north, but who knows what brands or if they have liners etc.
All the boats you build, I would have figured you would have just taken a day off and hacked a super lightweight-ultra strong paddle out of a spruce with that hatchet you had....haha

Alan wrote: said:
Part of the problem is that while Mike seems to be a gear perfectionist and gets enjoyment from getting a solid system put together and organized I'm usually content to just make do with whatever I'm used to and don't change until forced to by necessity.

I hope I didn't make it sound like Mike was a gear fiend while I'm some minimalist using ancient equipment I found at the flea market. When it's time for new gear I agonize about what to get and usually end up buying the good stuff. I always have the best of intentions to tweak the functionality of my gear with some easy DIY adjustments, like Mike does, but from my father I inherited the , "meh, I can live with that" gene. Some sort of elevated cooking arrangement would be easy enough and Mike has a good one with his folding blue barrel table top but instead I always find myself kneeling on the ground and trying to keep the dog from kicking sand in my meals. Meh, it works. I doubt I'll change until my knees force me to.

Case in point at home. I needed to do some work on my new (used) sewing machine in the shop. Drug the table over by the bench and got it up and running after a few days. But instead of moving it to a better location I just left it there. I sewed on that machine for a month before I finally moved it. It wasn't a good location for the sewing machine and it was constantly in the way when I did other work. Why didn't I take 60 seconds to move it? I don't know!

Anyway, that's what I meant about my gear.

Alan

I see a lot of folks wearing rubber boots in pictures and videos from trips up north, but who knows what brands or if they have liners etc.

Me too. Some people swear by rubber over boots for portaging but I just don't know if I can come to terms with it. Probably easy enough to slip on and off at the portages but when you go in over the tops they're going to take on a lot of water. I guess I should see if I can find a cheap pair locally and give them a try before the next trip.

I totally hear you about wet feet. The only real answer that I have found is waders. I have a pair of lightweight hip waders that are nylon uppers with foam stocking feet. If you look at the foam ones that are almost like a dry suit you will get the idea.....I would go with a boot foot instead of stocking though

The hip waders look intriguing. I've wondered how well they'd hold up on tough portages (from sticks and brush). I suppose they're like anything else in that you can buy tough ones that are thick and heavy or lightweight ones that are cooler but less durable. Can you comfortably leave yours on all day or do you need to take them on and off at each portage? I'm leery of the ones with neoprene booties for the reason you mentioned of having to buy such oversized shoes but also because I know how quickly my feet begin to sweat and get clammy in cold weather with my neoprene wading boots and I can't imagine doing a 2 mile portage in warm weather with neoprene over my feet.

High on my list of boots to take a more serious look at are Schnee's pac boots. They're like a Beat Boot but available with lug soles and multiple heights. Rubber up to the ankle would keep me dry at most landings and portages. Leather over the calf would keep out the water for brief periods of wading through deeper water and if water went over the top they won't fill up like a rubber boot. For longer walks in the water I'd just have to deal with wet feet until I could dry the boots off by the fire that evening.

When and where is your next trip planed?

Nothing big planned right now. Friends are getting married mid-August so probably no real big trips this summer. Would like to sneak in a couple week trip after the wedding but unsure where.

Alan

I wear the waders all day Alan, and take them off once I reach camp. You get used to them pretty quick. I only use them during shoulder seasons when I don't want to be wet. During the summer it is running shoes. The rubber boots you see us all wearing are indeed lined and have a drawstring type of cuff at the top instead of being open. Not ideal but pretty good in the wet areas.
High top leather boots could work out like you say. I sometimes use old combat boots....8" leather lace ups like a work boot. Same idea as what you are thinking but shorter.

Of course, I always have a dry pair of camp shoes for when the day is done, and lots of thick socks. I like to be warm.

Rubber boots will get sucked off your feet on muddy ports. Waders will make your feet sweat like ice cold beer on a hot day. Best to stick to dry shoe-wet shoe routine, maybe with some water proof socks. Take a fishing rod, you can at least feed the dog good clean healthy fish.

One thing that have worked for me and for a friend of mine is the NEOS over bots, they are light, 100% water proof, and slip them over any shoes/ boots you wear. http://www.neosovershoescanada.com/non-insulated/river-trekker-khaki that is the waders model, but I have the regular model insulated and non insulated and they are great!! Wile working carpentry in the winter I wear the non insulated over my steel toe boots for added warmth!!

And it is amazing what a good pair of neoprene socks can do to keep your feet warm in cold weather!!

Part of the problem is that while Mike seems to be a gear perfectionist and gets enjoyment from getting a solid system put together and organized I'm usually content to just make do with whatever I'm used to and don't change until forced to by necessity. I can be a bit indifferent to many parts of my gear so it makes it hard to give a real review.

I am far from a gear perfectionist; I’d own a Hilleberg tent and a high end late model composite techytech canoe if perfection was the target and expense no object.

My objective is to be efficient yet comfortable, with the scale tipped towards the comfort side. I usually tweak some gear need after every long trip. To that end I write up “What Worked & What Didn’t” as an addendum to trip reports, if only to remind myself about what needs tweaking or improvement, what is not coming on the next trip and what is.

1: Bring rain pants. Would make it nicer to walk around camp on rainy days.

On shoulder season trips I dang near live in Gore-Tex rain pants and jacket in all conditions except unseasonably warm temps, as part of a layering and wind block system. It is easy enough to shed the rain jacket and additional top layers if working a strenuous sweat. That may explain how I wear out raingear in 3 or 4 years.

2: No more single wall shelters. Condensation not really that big of a deal but very annoying at times, especially when stuck inside by the rain.

I have not used a single wall shelter since the canvas tent days, other than a Mantis Tarp, which had its own issues. I had not even considered condensation; the lack of a floor, for unwanted bug, snakes, scorpion, skunk, etc companions and the possibility of wind billowing in underneath without serious sod cloth efforts was enough to dissuade me. Having a tarped kitchen/living room and a separate tented (or hammocked) bedroom makes as much sense in the woods as it does at home.

3: Could probably get by well with a hammock in the areas I traveled. Trees are larger and better rooted than farther south on the shield. Woods are more open as well. Quite a few sites that wouldn't work with the tent because of slope but would be fine for hammock.

My younger son’s preferred tripping abode is a UL Hennessy hammock. That is a boon on family trips as it eliminates finding one level, well drained tent spot. I dearly wish I could sleep comfortably in a hammock, but my shoulders are in agony in minutes resting on my side. Hammocks can pack pretty small and light, and with Snakeskins, straps and some Dutchware can be quick to set up.

4: No more wood paddles! Blade started to split/crack after two weeks of light use. I went with a Bending Branches Expedition Plus. I believe that's the sturdiest paddle they build at 24 ounces. The thing felt like a club compared to my 10oz. carbon paddle.
The only place I'd give the wood blade credit was when using it as a pole.

BB was once known as Breaking Branches. I split the blades on a couple of their early doubles. Some of their offerings have become sturdier, but it is still wood. I carry an Expedition Plus as a spare to my composite doubles in open canoes and an absurdly thick and heavy old Sawyer as a spare in the decked canoes (absurdly heavy, just under 2 lbs at 50 inches long).

I will soon be leaving the Expedition Plus at home; I recently recovered a long-term loaner stick, a sturdy paddle handmade by craftsman NT (Norbert Thompson). As soon as I re-profile the grip a bit it will become my go-to spare.

I do like having a thick wood stick for abusive uses, and to that end sometimes augment the spare paddle with a short (5 foot) closet rod pole with serves multiple functions; push pole, hiking staff, spare tarp pole, grabber (it has a wood Duckhead atop, the beak is handy for grabbing things out of reach).

5: Camp shoes should be Gore-Tex or otherwise semi-waterproof. Need something to keep feet dry when walking in the rain/wet undergrowth around camp.

No question. Not just wandering in the dewy grass or undergrowth; the rain drips off Gore-Tex pant legs falls mainly on my feet and I don’t want to have to wear waterproof boots 24/7. I find Gore-Tex lined trail runners a good choice for light-ish weight camp shoes, or something taller if you want more ankle support and protection for hiking.

8: Top quilt as opposed to sleeping bag worked nicely. Glad I bought a "wide" version for sleeping on the ground.
Their "wide" version was better but it was still easy to get drafty spots. On nights when it got into the 30's or lower, especially when the wind was blowing, an actual sleeping bag, or maybe just a bivy bag, would have been nice to cut down on drafts.

I almost never sleep in a zipped-up sleeping bag. I typically bring a bag good for temps 20 degrees colder than expected and if I get a weather surprise resort to zipping it up for the night. Tripping truck traveling I often bring 3 sleeping bags; a 0F, 20F and summer weight bag (and a microfiber sheet).

The last two weeks in the Carolinas I use every one of those, although the giant 0F bag only once. I started off a lot of early-to-bed nights using just the sheet or summer bag, and switched to the 20F bag in the wee hours for second sleep.

While I love the compressibility of our down bags the flyweight is actually a demerit as a top quilt; the bag is so light it doesn’t drape close to my body, leaving a cold air void on either side. The heavier material in synthetic bags drapes and conforms more closely to my body when laid atop and keeps me warmer.

9: Some field guides would be nice, especially for wind/rain days. Books ad a lot of weight. During good weather I'm busy and don't read a lot but when wind and rain became common towards the end I quickly read and re-read the books I'd brought. I know my birds enough that a bird field guide isn't really necessary but one for plants would have been welcome. Oh, and one for mushrooms. Lots and lots of mushrooms up there.

I always have a book. A real book; I can’t do the Kindle thing. I have to have a book; I may reread it multiple time, so it better be good, but I can not go so sleep without first reading in bed for a bit.

I wonder if there are more compact/lightweight field guides than the usual Sibleys or Petersons. Something the size of a cigarette pack would be a boon companion and easier to waterproof encase.

10: Thermometer would be interesting to check air and water temps

I keep a temp gauge (and spare compass) on a short lanyard in my essentials bag. The temp gauge is a tiny (1x2 inch) plastic encased Campmor thing that I have had for at least 20 years; it is still accurate and still going strong (and I don’t see it in their catalog anymore).

12: What do do about shoes? Water and air up here way too danged cold to be wet-footing it. Need something that keeps feet dry but can handle having water go over the tops. Waterproof to ankle high would cover 90% of the portages and getting in and out of the canoe. It's the other 10% that end up calf/knee/thigh/waist deep that will be tougher. With highs sometimes in the 40's and 50's my feet would be numb nearly all day. They'd warm up on portages but also get a fresh soaking and soon go numb again when paddling. Even after changing into dry shoes and socks at camp my big toes would sometimes still be numb when I went to bed.

That is a really tough one. I like Chota Nunavut Mukluks and Chota Marsh Boots (both now discontinued). Coverage up to my knees, warm and dry when layered with thin Smartwool and Sealskinz socks, and decent for hiking because they had an aggressive tread, thick sole and stacked heel. But horrible for paddling kneeling (aggressive tread, thick sole and stacked heel).

The thinner soles muk boots are better for paddling, but kinda suck for earthbound activities.

On Mukluk plus side I have swum with them on several occasions and they are form fitting enough they did not drag me to the bottom like concrete overshoes. I feel off a steep (and deep) marsh bank once while wearing hip waders; it took everything I had to claw my way to the surface and I would not have made it up the steep bank without assistance while wearing waders with 20 lbs of water in each leg. My eventual assistant, whose daughter I had kindly been helping into the canoe, was rather too convulsed with laughter to be of much immediate help when I eventually resurfaced.

13: Mount compass on underside of front thwart so I can read direction when portaging. Many of the portages didn't have a trail. Or else there were multiple caribou trails that would lead me off course. I knew which heading I needed to keep and being able to see a compass with the canoe on my head would have come in handy multiple times.

That is brilliant, and I am eager to see what clever mounting technique you dream up. I have come to favor a dome shaped kayak deck compass bungee mounted on the fore thwart in all of our boats. That style compass is easier for me to read, and is a huge help when sailing.

15: Spray decks are great. Definitely do full robust covers when Sadie isn't along.

Yes they are. Rain, wind, cold, sun protection; for most tripping purposes I am sold on the advantage of spray decks. Partial decks with an open “cockpit” for me, where the vertical rain and splash cowling design on CCS partials is the over-the-gunwales drainage solution with partials. I trust you can come up with a design that incorporates a Sadie spot that can be rolled up or deployed as needed.

The biggest drawback to covers of any sort is loading or unloading at awkward or windswept landings. Having to unfasten even one side of a cover and heave stuff up to a ledge site, or worse scramble to quickly unload the canoe on a windswept shore while the waves beat the hull into the rocks is a boo.

16: The heavy fleece is great. Would be ok without it using the other two long sleeved shirts and jacket but it's so nice to slip it on after making camp. I like that it has pockets. I sleep in it many nights and it would be chilly without. I'd planned to leave this in the car but packed it at the put-in because of the chilly weather. A few days after making this entry in my notebook the daily high was 41 degrees with cloudy skies and 30mph winds and rain. I would have been quite a bit chiller without that fleece.

When you first mentioned that last minute fleece I was immediately reminded of friend Joel, about to set out on a 28 day self supported solo hike in Escalante, and Kathy suggesting at the last minute that he take that heavy fleece from the car as well. It was unseasonable cold for much of the month he was there.

I tend to pack half way to one season colder for every trip, whether that means long underwear or down vest or thicker fleece. That works at least when conditions are colder, not so much when they are warmer. Three weeks on the Green in unseasonably warm weather I had one pair of short pants. They were well worn by the end.

These last 2 February weeks in NC I had full on winter gear packed; my beer had frozen on a couple of winter trips thereabouts, so I had all matter of cold weather gear. It was in the high 70’s/low 80’s most days. I had one pair of shorts and two tee shirts. I had to drive to Wal-mart to buy clothes.

17: The two foam sit pads are very handy for multiple purposes. Keep bringing. These were just small pieces of cut up foam sleeping pad, about butt sized. Warm and dry to sit on and also a dry place to stand when changing clothes. Or a warm and dry place to put feet when sitting. Or just a dry place to put things when the ground is wet.

Yup. I have a piece of Ridgerest that is the insulated seat pad for wind chair that I use for kneeling in camp and standing on when changing shoes. That thing has also saved my arse, or at least my hips, when an inflatable pad went unrepairably flat. I now stick it under the sleeping pad before bedtime for extra cushion and puncture protection.

Great stuff Alan, it was worth bugging you about. That kind of honest gear assessment after a long and challenging trip is valuable information for to all.

I appreciate the gear review Alan. Even if we all put different things into different trips to get different experiences out of them, it's still a valuable learning tool to see through a different pair of eyes.
Fleece, check. I pack them no matter the season. They're a light insulating layer, and quick dry too.
More food variety, more of this and less of that, yes. As much as I love certain foods (pasta), I couldn't eat the same thing too often.
Compass under the portaging canoe, brilliant idea. I'll think about that.
Footwear, well I'm still pondering that puzzle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma. So far for me I'm living the wet foot/dry foot life.
Candy? I never bring candy. I don't have much of a sweet tooth, but do have a weakness for red licorice and JuJubes. If I tried to bring one package I'd succumb and bring a barrel instead, so total self restraint is my only answer.
Wooden vs Carbon paddles. I don't know enough about them to compare. I'm bias towards wood at the moment. Besides, I try to have some duct tape handy.
Sit pads, yes. Our stadium type seat pads are a little bit heavy, but they've morphed from luxury items to standard kit.
Hatchet, yes. Perfectly designed tool for small scale wood prep, and packs efficiently.
Rain pants, very yes muchly. Insulates on cooler evenings, perfect for damp portages, and post-rain camp lounging.
Alky stove, yes. I'm moving to an alcohol and twig combo this year.

Take a fishing rod, you can at least feed the dog good clean healthy fish.

I absolutely agree with that. Even a small rod and inexpensive spinning reel can pay fleshy dividends. Even if you avoid eating things with a face Sadie doesn’t.

I no longer fish as a fisherman, fishing for the sole purpose and pleasure of the activity. I fish for flesh. I know I would starve on a steady diet of trout, but dang fresh fish is a tasty addition to a meal. That isn’t fish with milk cloudy eyes, shipped and packaged frozen or at best a week+ from the water, this is meat was swimming an hour ago.

With fish, fresh makes a remarkable difference. I think a lot of people who “don’t like fish” have never tasted a truly fresh wild caught fish.

Flesh does not get any better unless you are beheading a chicken in the back yard or breasting out a still warm duck. OK, maybe a more time consuming hunk of properly hung and aged venison. I want a photo of Sadie’s expression when you feed her a trout fillet before turning to your beans and quinoa.

Sit pads, yes. Our stadium type seat pads are a little bit heavy, but they've morphed from luxury items to standard kit.

For a seat pad I like the Therma-rest Trail seat pad. They deflate & roll up quite small, and weigh 5 oz.

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/prod...222216065525&gclid=CMyCo7-MsdICFd2IswodC4sA2Q

We have had four of those for at least 10 or 15 years now. We don’t abuse them as earthen kneeling pads, but as a butt cushion on damp rock or stump they are durable and comfortable, especially if partially deflated for a contoured seat.

Re: Rubber boots: I have a pair of Schnee's for the winter (good traction but heavy even without insulation). I've had good luck with Aigle or LeChameau uninsulated knee boots. Comfortable, light weight, good traction, hold up well.

Rain gear.
I've always had CHEAP rain gear. I usually opted for an umbrella, and left the Plastic suit at home. I sweat so bad in those plastic suits, I would have been just as comfortable going naked :eek:
But this last Fall, I took a good set of rain pants and jacket. I'd picked them up cheap at an auction. Boy was I glad I did. I'll probably Always take good rain gear, especially when the temps drop from Summertime. If I got up in the night. I would just pull the pants over my sweats, and I was good to go. Even in the mornings around camp, they added extra warmth.
Old Dogs can learn new tricks, it's remembering them that's hard ;)

Great gear review Alan ! You should really work on a book !!!

Jim

Thanks for the write up! I'm always trying to find a better way to do something. Sharing your experience means a lot.
Jason

Can we please put this one to rest. Boots of whatever material that fill with water will not "drag you to the bottom" The water inside the boot/wader has the same density as the water outside. They do make swimming a pig but provided you are wearing your pfd you will still float fine. I worked in fisheries science for twenty years so had plenty of opportunities to try this out.

One of the biggest problems with chest waders in rivers is quite the opposite. They tend to hold air, lifting the feet and pushing your head down if not wearing a pfd or causing you to double up, butt down if you do have a pfd on.

As mentioned the real problem is getting out of the water. It is a lot of effort but the best thing is to take them off if you don't have the option of crawling up a shallow bank.

Boots of whatever material that fill with water will not "drag you to the bottom" The water inside the boot/wader has the same density as the water outside. They do make swimming a pig but provided you are wearing your pfd you will still float fine. I worked in fisheries science for twenty years so had plenty of opportunities to try this out.

Something similar here... the longest stretch of time spent in rubber boots was about 180 days. Fine with it although my sense of smell was probably damaged permanently.

I noticed that you didnt take much rice with you?

I don't take any. I like brown rice just fine but it takes longer to cook and, if I remember correctly, didn't have as much nutritional goodies as quinoa. Maybe not all that important considering the other foods I bring but I also like that quinoa is a source of complete protein, similar to meat. Most non-meat based proteins don't provide this. With quinoa I can bring the water to a boil, wrap the pot in a cozy, and 15 minutes later it's ready to eat. Plus I like the taste better than most other grains.

As much as I love certain foods (pasta), I couldn't eat the same thing too often.

I'm a big pasta fan to but to save space on my trips I'd bring orzo, which is a little bigger than rice. With the one pot meals I eat I found I just didn't like it. It was too mushy, took a ton of salt, and didn't really provide a lot of taste on its own.

As for eating the same thing too often that doesn't bother me at all, especially on canoe trips. I'm often surprised, towards the end of the trip, how much I still enjoy eating the same old thing. I guess anything's good when you're hungry. So my next trip will likely see a lot of quinoa and nothing else in terms of grains or pasta. I'll eat it every day and expect to still find it tasty even after 6 weeks.

I never bring candy. I don't have much of a sweet tooth, but do have a weakness for red licorice and JuJubes. If I tried to bring one package I'd succumb and bring a barrel instead, so total self restraint is my only answer.

Total self restraint is the only way I can cope with snacks and treats at home. You won't find any in my house. If I bought a pound of chocolate it would be gone in one night. No such thing as moderation. On a canoe trip I'm different. I'll still hit the M&Ms a little harder than normal if stuck in the tent due to rain but knowing there's only a limited supply keeps me honest. I get used to having a handful or two after lunch and the thought of not having any for the last week or two of the trip helps me ration them.

Take a fishing rod, you can at least feed the dog good clean healthy fish.

This is a real internal struggle for me when I go on trips. I didn't turn vegetarian until about 4 years ago and up until then I ate lots of meat. I also took fishing very seriously up until my early 20's. I remember the way I looked at things back then and they're different than how I look at them now. The old me wouldn't understand the motivations of the new me. The new me struggles to understand how the old me justified what I did. I've mentioned before how I've drifted in and out of hobbies and passions my entire life. While it sometimes seems like a shame I was thinking the other day how a big benefit of doing so is the ability to see things from both sides of the fence and understand how we justify things to ourselves to support what we currently enjoy doing.

I used to be a strictly catch and release fisherman. I had many reasons to justify being a catch and release fisherman and to catch and release fishermen they make perfect sense. Even though I'm now a vegetarian those reasons fall short for me. I have a lot less respect for catch and release than I used to. I have a lot more respect for people who catch fish and eat them than I used to.

Anyway, when I'm home and part of society I'm very comfortable with my choices. It's so easy to eat healthy and tasty vegetarian meals and the environmental and ethical costs are so much lower as opposed to buying factory meat from the store or restaurant. But when I'm out on a canoe trip my reasons get a little shakier. Since becoming a vegetarian I've always said the only meat I'll eat is meat that I've killed myself but that so far I haven't found anything I'm willing to kill. I can see that possibly changing in the near future. Sometimes I feel a real disconnect from the land, especially when traveling, and that bothers me.

Alan

Another gear thought: Quite often I wished I'd brought a tarp. Both for a more "open air" place to escape the rain but also for the versatility and ability to deploy quickly. I thought the CCS Lean was enough like a tarp to fill both rolls but it was too big and complex to quickly erect like a simple 4 sided tarp in wind and rain.

Alan

Alan, I've been on both sides of the fence too, in the early 80's I was temporarily part of a bunch of hippies seeking nirvana, or more realistically, probably redemption. In any case, I went over to the meatless wagon, stayed there for about a year. This was after a couple of years working on a pig farm. Eventually, my true nature won out, and I became the Spam gobbling thing of the present.

Having worked in the industry, I have some real ethical problem with eating meat from the industrialized factory farm. However, my appetites trump ethics every time. On the other hand, I never feel guilty about eating fish I have caught. I am a meat fisherman. Walleye is the king of fresh water fish, abundant in most northern lakes, a veritable lunch bucket with fins, easy to fillet and cook, and absolutely delicious, especially when it is out of the water for only a few minutes. Catch only what you intend to eat, it's natural, living like an animal.

In my categorization of the importance of species in terms of pulling a trigger on them, fish rank number one. Pull them in quickly, kill them immediately, and eat them. It's not like agonizing over the trigger when a cute little snow white bunny is in your sites. Don't overthink things too much, we are mostly animal, and killing a few fish won't keep you stuck in the karmic circle for eternity.

Back