• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

catalytic heaters

Reaction score
Anyone ever use a coleman liquid fuel catalytic heater in a canvas tent. I've read about the dangers but what purpose were they for then?

I've not used one personally in any of my tents but was down on the coast of GA one February when an older couple I was with used one in their set up. We had multiple days of hard frost & cold temperatures outside of Savannah (I only needed one bag of ice in the cooler for the entire week!) and it was tough paddling; I was down there on a winter break field checking possible trips for future use. Anyway, they set up the heater in an enclosed shelter that served as our dining room and it made our mealtimes most enjoyable. Each night they would move the heater into their tent for the night as I stole back to my unheated nylon cave; as you can guess...I was envious (LOL)!

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

For what it's worth, we have burned coleman lanterns and propane lanterns in canvas tents for years. Usually lots of ventilation in a tie-up door prospector tent.

I think you'll be fine, my uncle used to run one in his Volkswagen Beetle back in the day, tho' there may have been more ventilation in the Bug than in a tent given the condition of the floor boards in that thing. :eek:

Our family often used a Coleman catalytic heater in our canvas tent when I was a kid.

I also used one in this small canvas tent on Sheehan Lake, Ontario in 1984. There were 2 us of staying in the tent while prospecting and the only problem I recall was trying to keep clothes and bedding from ending up on top of it. We didn't burn the heater all night. Just evenings and mornings. I haven't used one since.

I was going to bid on one at a recent auction sale but got distracted and missed it.

I've only used mine in a nylon tent. Years ago in a Timberline to get the chill out before bed it worked wonders. Lately with a tent with a mesh top, doesn't do much good. Only to get the chill out, never all night long. Mine has a nice char mark from when it caught on fire.

I think I would be a little nervous of sleeping whilst they are in use. OK in a drafty tent but not one sealed up on purpose or by falling snow. Carbon Monoxide rises so you would need to have a tent with vents high up and a gap at the base to let fresh air in.

A few folk die each year during power outages using similar things inside the house; different from a tent I know!

Sometimes looking for information on the internet can scare the bejeezus out of you. Most websites would have you believe using a catalytic heater in a tent is sudden death, half truths and misinformation is rampant. Most quote case studies that once followed up talk about lanterns or stoves left running all night in sealed up cabins or tents, not catalytic heaters. With proper ventilation I think it would work fine, anything used without common sense is dangerous. But I guess that today without warning labels plastered all over a product who knows how people will use it.

Yes I have. These things were designed to be used in a canvas tent.. You have to ventilate though for sure....small opening at door and vents up high. This is no different than using a lantern or coleman stove inside to warm up and I have lived that way for weeks at a time in January/February. A small wood stove like Robins is probably better to be honest as the exhaust is carried outside and the radiant heat is what warms you.

The last time I used one was a few years ago in a nylon tent.

They just make camping civilised.

Christine

I think the best proviso is to use your common sense...adequate ventilation, some thing flame proof to set it on and shut it off when you go to sleep.

And have some good leather gloves around to chuck it through the door in case of flare or flame up!

forest runes; Of course any website will try to discourage use- It's a liability issue. If they said it was ok and someone did die because of that advise, they could be sued.
But having said that, I grew up with heaters being used in canvas tents and I'm still here.

Grandparents took me camping in a tent trailer and they had one. Still smell them just thinking about them.

I think I would be a little nervous of sleeping whilst they are in use. OK in a drafty tent but not one sealed up on purpose or by falling snow. Carbon Monoxide rises so you would need to have a tent with vents high up and a gap at the base to let fresh air in.

From S-Tech:

The density of Carbon Monoxide at 20 °C (68 °C) is 0.96716 which is slightly lighter than the density of air (1.00). However, at 0 °C or 32 °F the density is increased to 1.250 which is much heavier than air.

From S-Tech:

The density of Carbon Monoxide at 20 °C (68 °C) is 0.96716 which is slightly lighter than the density of air (1.00). However, at 0 °C or 32 °F the density is increased to 1.250 which is much heavier than air.

That's interesting and probably even more worrying for folk sleeping on mats as opposed to a cot or bed up off the floor.
But doesn't the density of air increase as the temperature falls as well? I presuming that the std. Is 20 Celsius but maybe someone wants to use their Google Fu to explain it!

Either way I would want to take a CO alarm along.

Posting from bed in a van Heat on. In sleeping bag for the night. Motor running for heat.
Night night. Yes the windows are cracked and there is a CO detector

From S-Tech:

This statement from S-Tech isn't quite accurate. They seem to have switched units from one sentence to the next so that comparing the quoted numbers is meaningless. The numbers in the first sentence appear to be giving relative density (to air), not an actual density value. The density value stated in the second sentence matches the value for density of carbon monoxide in units of grams per liter at 1 atmosphere pressure, though no units are stated. The ratio of density of carbon monoxide to air when both are at the same temperature is essentially the same at 0°C as at 20°C. Slight density differences probably don't matter much. Any air movement will spread carbon monoxide throughout an enclosure. The bottom line is to make sure there is ventilation.

Last edited:
Back