• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

Carbon Fiber Nokomis

Yes, I can see that now in your top-down photo, but only because you pointed it out. I’ll watch for the same sort of thing on mine and be ready to deal with it in a similar way it if it comes up. Many thanks

Tony.

Mn Otter
You are welcome sir. There are far better writers on this site. I try and share my experiences. Not caring for English class in High School, has come back to Plague me !

Yes ! Welcome. This is a great site, and gets better all the time !

Jim

Jim ... is there a rear thwart behind the seat, maybe hidden under gear? On most of my solos 2 thwarts for a boat that size are required

Brian

Hi Brian

No rear Thwart.
I rarely build with a rear thwart, especially in my strippers.
The gunnels are usually stiff enough.

Jim

Went with three coats of Varithane's Spar Varnish. I had a couple of cans, so thought I'd try one.
Quite similar to Helmsmans.
Menards sells it at 50 cents a quart higher than Helmsman. That doesn't mean anything.
IMG_1664_zpsth9mgg6x.jpg

pulled the masking tape, and here it is.

IMG_1665_zpsiavcjrt3.jpg

Plenty of flaws ! The S-glass is visible, I can live with it.
I've often tipped my resin cups upside down on the hull, to drain that last little bit. Don't do it on Carbon Fiber ! It may have been caused by the resin being close to kicking over. I don't know for sure. But I won't be draining my cups on the hull any more !!!

IMG_1661_zpsfkecu9ri.jpg

I'm going to name this canoe," Vader ". Like Darth Vader.

IMG_1667_zpshfebs5c6.jpg

Now to wait a few days to let the varnish harden, then flip and varnish the inside.
Lastly Watco the gunnels. It takes SOO long for Watco to dry, but I've been happy with the results!

Jim
How does the varnish hold up on the hull? Do you thin it with MS? And brush, sponge or rag application to get such a smooth finish?
Thank you

Back