• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Carbon Fiber Nokomis

It's hard to get dynel perfect even with peel ply. I've yet to get a perfect finish but I'm getting closer. I think you needed more resin.

The weave is so severe with dynel that I use thickened epoxy to fill the bad spots. Thick like peanut butter. Apply with a squeegee or smear on with your hands. The squeegee makes it possible to feather the edges with thickened resin. Usually takes two applications. Then sand smooth after a few days.

Alan

It's hard to get dynel perfect even with peel ply. I've yet to get a perfect finish but I'm getting closer. I think you needed more resin.

The weave is so severe with dynel that I use thickened epoxy to fill the bad spots. Thick like peanut butter. Apply with a squeegee or smear on with your hands. The squeegee makes it possible to feather the edges with thickened resin. Usually takes two applications. Then sand smooth after a few days.

Alan

That's my plan. That Dynel should hold up to some real abuse. I'll test it for sure !
Thanks !
Jim

Jim, I know from using Dynel for a few boats now that it will never get as even as the other cloths but for where I use it it is rock solid. I usually mix in G-Flex with the resin and then saturate the heck out of it, lay the PP on it and call it good. On my Courier I have taken some very serious rock hits on NE rocky rivers and the only thing that happens is the paint scraps off. It may not be the most beautiful application but for protection is IMO the best way to go. Gotta give up one thing to get another.

dougd

Doug
I can see where it's tough stuff ! It did require two fill coats, of graphite/epoxy to fill the weave.
You are right ! There is Little Beauty to Dynel.
At least on a carbon hull, the graphite will blend it in.

Jim

Took CF out into the Sunlight, while I finished sanding the Gunnels. I will wait a few more days before tackling the Dynel.
A few pics.
IMG_1646_zpsesrk2ynr.jpg

IMG_1644_zpsebvcwbpc.jpg

IMG_1642_zpsx8uo1kf7.jpg

IMG_1640_zpsil6lqjvk.jpg

IMG_1649_zpsqa5ddwlu.jpg

Jim

I just want to say, what a joy it was LIFTING CF Nokomis from the stands !
I can't believe the lightness ! It'll be in the BWCA this Fall for sure, if not sooner.

Getting anxious to get it in the water !

Jim

That looks great Jim. I love wood but I think there might be a carbon fiber boat in my future.
Jim

I never thought I'd go over to the DARK side, but I'm glad I did !

This Old man is ready for something lighter on the portages !

Glad to help anyway I can, as I'm sure others will also !

Thanks !

Jim

Went with three coats of Varithane's Spar Varnish. I had a couple of cans, so thought I'd try one.
Quite similar to Helmsmans.
Menards sells it at 50 cents a quart higher than Helmsman. That doesn't mean anything.
IMG_1664_zpsth9mgg6x.jpg

pulled the masking tape, and here it is.

IMG_1665_zpsiavcjrt3.jpg

Plenty of flaws ! The S-glass is visible, I can live with it.
I've often tipped my resin cups upside down on the hull, to drain that last little bit. Don't do it on Carbon Fiber ! It may have been caused by the resin being close to kicking over. I don't know for sure. But I won't be draining my cups on the hull any more !!!

IMG_1661_zpsfkecu9ri.jpg

I'm going to name this canoe," Vader ". Like Darth Vader.

IMG_1667_zpshfebs5c6.jpg

Now to wait a few days to let the varnish harden, then flip and varnish the inside.
Lastly Watco the gunnels. It takes SOO long for Watco to dry, but I've been happy with the results!

Jim

Looks pretty good to me!
I'm guessing most of the builders on here can pick out flaws on any of their boats.
I say spending lots of time making a boat or anything for that matter is akin to being with a woman for a long time.
You will always find some flaws...
With that being said, no one is perfect. The pursuit of perfection is the road to disappointment in my opinion.
I always strive for perfection, but never seem to achieve it. On that note it is also one of the things that drives us to build the next one, and try to do a "better" job.
Parting words:
Strive for perfection, but be willing to settle for less.

Looks great Jim, you built it to be lightweight and it sounds like you achieved that. That in itself is something to be proud of!
I bet you are praying for warmer weather, so you can "get her wet"!

Looks great, Jim. Can't wait to see it on the water.

Is it possible the cloth was a little starved for resin? That would explain why the rim around the cup is blacker. I starved the cloth are my carbon Bloodvein and it looks similar, especially in the s-glass on the bottom.

Alan

Jim,
Sparkling finish, it looks great.
I hope we never paddle together, lest the full shame of my practice boat (carbon copy Kite) be exposed!!

Thanks Sven !
A guy showed up at my place years ago, with a hull that he had made. It was the ugliest thing I'd ever seen. He had paddled more water with it, than I ever dreamed of !
I never look down on anything that floats !
If I built the perfect canoe, I'd quit ! It wouldn't be fun trying anymore !

Jim. Can't wait to see it on the water.

Is it possible the cloth was a little starved for resin? That would explain why the rim around the cup is blacker. I starved the cloth are my carbon Bloodvein and it looks similar, especially in the s-glass on the bottom.

Alan

Very well could have been the problem. I'll have to give it a closer look .The S-glass went on after the Carbon had set. I don't remember for sure on which later it appeared.

You can get a better look at it soon ! ;)

Jim

Stripperguy

I'd be honored to paddle with you, regardless of what you made. As Builders, and Paddlers, we share a kinship ! That overlooks flaws !

It would be cool to hook up and paddle !

Thanks !

Jim

Ok that is a niiiiiiice boat Jim. I like the hull shape a lot and the CF is tres cool. I think you have built a winner.

Christy

Nokomis, the plug for this, paddles great. The most stable canoe I've owned, or paddled.. At my age stability is important. I haven't been able to speed test it, but when I get together with Alan, I'll be able to tell.

Thanks Christy !

Jim

Back