• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Canvas summer tent

At rendezvous, camping in a canvas tent with no netting, I burn bug coils in the tent a few hrs before going in and going to bed then put them out when we go in. this keeps the mosquetoes out without being in a smoke screen.

Just an update to my canvas summer tent.

I ordered a custom front screen door for my wall tent from Beckel Canvas, perfect fit,

1E6754B2-CF78-4092-A9BC-0F89C0747C6F.jpeg

I sewed a panel over the previous front wall stove jack site,

D6E62693-CE6E-4C84-83E1-0F9DC3CD45C6.jpeg
Next I need to sew a new stove jack into the back corner. Even though this will be my summer tent, I plan to carry my small wood stove with me on northern trips.

D6DD444E-14DB-460A-BF0B-ADA6FB62085B.jpeg
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

Attachments

• D6DD444E-14DB-460A-BF0B-ADA6FB62085B.jpeg
    204.4 KB · Views: 3
  • D6DD444E-14DB-460A-BF0B-ADA6FB62085B.jpeg
    204.4 KB · Views: 3
That looks real good Robin. I can't tell from the pictures, is there a sod cloth on the bottom of the screen?

Thanks Al, no sod cloth but it does have a folded and sewn hem that I could sew a piece of canvas to if the little critters find their way in. It has 4 loops for tent pegs which should help.
After I sew in the stove jack my next project will be a tarp for the floor and a tarp for the roof, both of canvas. I bought some canvas for the roof tarp but I might just use it for my Chestnut Pal canoe and order some 10.10 oz Sunforger for the roof tarp.

Nice work on the tent Robin. There's a good trip in the making with the screening added and stove ready changes.

With a tent like that, lay over days become a real pleasure, especially in crummy weather. The worse the weather the happier you get when you have a place to get out of the rain, snow and sleet and stay warm and stand up and move around. It is worth the extra weight if portaging is not an issue.

Great idea relocating the stove to the back wall and in-between the two cots. Means I don't have as far to walk for my morning coffee. (ha)
It really does make so much sense. And the warm weather view from that window will also be a good thing.
Here's an idea, I bet you'd get a lot of views and likes if you filmed the newly arranged tent interior when it gets field tested; gear items, warm weather vs cold weather layout, luxury choices etc. Just a friendly suggestion buddy, not meaning to get needy. The new roof tarp will be interesting to see. Do you have any sewing hacks to share?

I give you a lot of credit Robin, whenever I drop my baker tent off for repairs I am amazed at how the sewing machine operator can make heads or tails out of that pile of canvas.

I have spent a lot of time in wall tents, especially working on forestry operations and hunting trips. With a string of mules carrying one is not that difficult. Same with a solo canoe. The extra weight is not much of a problem. Hunting trips in the West are almost always late in the fall in the cold often with snow. Sometimes it is below zero at night. A canvas tent with a stove is magic.

One memorable trip was hunting elk in Colorado at 11,800 feet. My brother was the cook and I got hired as a wrangler. One of our hunters got an elk down and I packed him up and led 2 black mules back to camp through fallen steep fallen timber. I handed my brother a fresh elk liver that had just come out of the warm elk, and into the warm saddle bags of my horse. It was snowing hard by that time. We were drinking Kentucky bourbon in the big wall tent with the stove going. Cookie decided to cook the liver right on top of the stove, with some bacon and onions. The aroma was like perfume. Half the people in the tent said they did not like liver. In 20 minutes it was all gone. People that did "not like liver" had two helpings. Old ways are the best ways.

Great idea relocating the stove to the back wall and in-between the two cots. Means I don't have as far to walk for my morning coffee. (ha)

The new roof tarp will be interesting to see. Do you have any sewing hacks to share?

Brad, it would be great to camp in this tent with you, hopefully we'll get across the border someday, it would be fun to base camp on some big lake up there.

The canvas I bought for the roof tarp is more suited for a canoe so I'll use it on the Chestnut Pal I have waiting for me to finish. I'm still looking for the right option, make my own or buy a finished canvas tarp, not sure yet.

Sewing Hacks? I still make a ton of mistks, (pun intended), keep a sharp pair of scissors, a sharp single edge razor handy and know when to quit for the day.

Here's my wood stove and a bag I made to keep the Woods Pack clean when transporting,

IMG_2088.jpg

IMG_2090.jpg IMG_2089.jpg

Attachments

• photo18205.jpg
    photo18205.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 0
I ordered a lighter weight canvas for the tarp, #12. I have used both #'s 10 and 12 on canoes, 10 is tougher but is too heavy, as a tarp #12 will be fine. I wanted Sunforger canvas with it's tighter weave but could only find it in 60" width, I needed 72" to get a decent overhang on the wall tent, and only one seam at the ridge. The canvas I ordered is white, which should let more light into the tent during those dark overcast fall days.

Not sure if I'll go with a beeswax concoction or a chemical waterproofing like Canvak.

yep Robin, Sunforger is great stuff. I have primitive camped in several sunforger panther primitives tents dozens and dozens of times over the years in all seasons. never a leak. great stuff. My oldest one has roof panels so thin you can practically see through.

Back