• Happy National Audubon Day! 🐣🐦🦅🕊️

Canoe Packs for the solo tripper

Waterdog wrote: "I . . . have been mulling over the merits of a custom canvas version of this Bell pack."

Bell sold those packs, but they were made by Ostrum as the "Solo Pack." Brilliant. I've been on the lookout but have never seen a used one for sale.

Some nice outfits. It seems that the best way to get organized is by going on the longer trips, say a week or more. Then there is a lot of repetition, and things start to go in the same place everyday and are easier to find. I use a #3 Duluth Pack and a DP Foodpack, along with a cooler, and a hunting day pack made by Kelty. I will not show any photos because of the chairs and other stuff that shows up on trips without any portages.

I've been very happy with my CCS Pioneer pack. It just fits behind the seat in my Magic and I have a small hiking day pack that goes in front of my feet with the dog.

20120828_007 by Alan Gage, on Flickr

Alan

No Title

CCS Guide pack and a CCS Rucksack which holds my 5-gallon food bucket.

Attachments

• photo764.jpg
    photo764.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 2
My pack system is not optimum, its just what I have. For down in the trees where I can rely on wood fires for most cooking other than the rainy days (where I always carry some stove fuel), I use a 3-pack system: food barrel with harness, gear pack, and day pack. For the arctic Barrenlands 30 plus day expeditions where I have no wood and need stove fuel for all cooking, and where I have a heavy royalex boat with spray deck and extra expedition type gear, I have another overflow pack that holds the stove fuel, extra stove, bigger boat repair kit (since I am running and lining many rapids), stronger bigger painter lines, and rolled up spray deck, extra TP supply, and the just more stuff one has for expedition level tripping in cold climates. But the following is my forest zone tripping pack system using a composite boat:

Barrels: For a week or under, I am using a 30L barrel and harness for food and cook kit, and a few odds and sods. I can T this up on top of my gear pack for a portage. For whatever reason I tend not to do 2-week trips, which is funny. Most of my solo trips are 3 weeks or more, and then I am using my 60L barrel and harness, and this is definitely its own carry.

Gear pack: I use an Ostrom Wabakimi pack. I love this pack. I took out the aluminum stays to save weight, so I pay a small price in pack fit and weight transfer to the hip belt, so I am taking more weight on the shoulder straps, but it still works for me.

Day Pack: It has my rain gear, wind breaker, fleece top in a drybag (which provides excellent flotation for the entire day pack), bug dope, cordage supply, several repair kit items, extra fire kit stuff, fillet knife, roll of TP, Rx sunglasses - 2 pairs, hand sanitizer, and all the little things you always want instant access to. When I am on land my bear spray is clipped onto my belt or pack straps for portaging. When I am paddling the bear spray is unclipped and packed in the daypack. This summer I also started carrying a second can of bear spray in the day pack, after a friend of mine last summer emptied a can with multiple blasts on a predatory bear that kept on coming.

My fishing rod, bow saw, and foam fillet board are tied into the boat for portaging.

When I am on a week or under trip using the 30L barrel, I do 2 trips on the portage:
  • boat, I wear my PFD, plus day pack and paddles tied into the boat.
  • gear pack with 30L barrel T’d up, and hand carry of camera pelican case.

If the portage is difficult, I will do a 3 trip style to reduce pain, and risk of injury. As I get older, I do this more often.

When I am 3 weeks or more I am using the 60L barrel and quite heavy with food starting out. I find for me, I cannot comfortably T up the 60L barrel even when it lightens later in the trip, and my gear pack never lightens, except for a little stove fuel consumption. I always do 3 trips on the portage:
  • boat plus PFD plus day pack.
  • Gear pack plus paddles
  • 60L barrel plus hand carry of pelican case.

Boat trim: I paddle a prospector type boat in bow seat facing the other way. My day pack is on my side of center. The barrel and gear pack are on the other side of the center thwart, and I find this always works for good trim.

Edit: Beyond 30 days I am usually up in the subarctic or arctic with my heavy royalex boat, and also have my shotgun and ammo, plus the extra expedition gear I mentioned above, so I am doing 4 carries on the portage. My longest portage has been 6 km's. On that one, 4 portages means 7 trips, which is 42 km's of walking! I have done several 4 and 5 k portages as well. These portages take 2-3 days!

Last edited:
No Title

I use the same setup regardless of trip length, although I have never done one longer than ten days.

The picture here is of a 9 day trip with my dog, Ferris, to Algonquin. I use a North Face Base Camp duffel whose volume is 90 liters (5,500 cubic inches), and Ferris carries a dog pack by Wolfpack. I believe his pack's volume is about 20 liters. Since I put all the food in his pack, it is quite heavy and allows me to trim the canoe by sliding the pack forward towards the bow, or back closer to where we are in the canoe. As the food diminishes I will move heavier items from my pack into his. I cut an old Ridgerest mat in half for him to sit/stand on while in the canoe and it doubles as his sleeping pad in the tent.

The NF duffel comes with shoulder straps which I admit are not the most comfortable and dig into my shoulders. I am in the market for a canoe specific pack, and am overwhelmed by the all the possibilities on the market. The main problem I find is that all the packs that interest me can only be ordered through the web, as none of the stores around here (Montreal) carry them. I really like the CCS hybrid packs as well as the Frost River ones. There are also some very interesting packs on the Ostrom site that are still available for order.

what to do, what to do....

Cheers,

Shan

Attachments

• photo989.jpg
    photo989.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo990.jpg
    photo990.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 1
I have a Frost River Woodsman pack, which I can pack everything in, with the exception, possibly, of food if more than a few days (I haven't done an extended trip yet, but I have packed the Woodsman up and everything fits fine). I also bought an Italian Alpine ruck, which is also made of canvas, from another forum, and its about the size of a large daypack. The plan, with that, is to keep close at hand things like raingear, snack/lunch, sweater, and water bottle in it, for convenience.

No Title

I use two bags, the smaller has food and cook kit whilst the large has everything else. Not sure what the capasity of them are.

Attachments

• photo1002.jpg
    photo1002.jpg
    313.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo1003.jpg
    photo1003.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo1004.jpg
    photo1004.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 0
Waterdog wrote: "I . . . have been mulling over the merits of a custom canvas version of this Bell pack."

Bell sold those packs, but they were made by Ostrum as the "Solo Pack." Brilliant. I've been on the lookout but have never seen a used one for sale.

Yeah, I missed my chance by the last of these custom packs were being sold by Bell earlier in the year on eBay. Should have Bought It Now!!! I've never seen an Ostrom Solo Pack for sale otherwise. I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

Does anyone make custom Cordura packs? Cooke? Bueller? Bueller?

Joe

On long trips,I start out with a #7 frost river pack (tarp & clothing ) and a bean pack basket (food & expendable goods) by the end of the trip the pack basket fits inside of the #7 as supplies are exhaused.In colder weather my tent is lashed to a pack frame.When not portaging the skys the limit with gear.

As a variation of the take-apart pack, I have been thinking about a different arrangement to allow for a single pack to portage but still allow for two packs to trim the canoe. You would still use your full size canoe pack. An insert to fit inside the top half of the portage pack would have to made or purchased ready-made. At the portage, the auxiliary bag could be inserted into the top half of the portage pack. It seems to me that this would be no more time consuming than rejoining the two-piece pack. At the end of the portage, take the auxiliary pack out and place it in the appropriate end of the canoe. The portage pack could placed on the opposite end, longitudinally, and not stick up above the canoe. For the custom auxiliary bag, I picture a rectangular packloth, or lighter, bag. It could have a zippered, drawstring or roll-down closure. It would be sized to fit inside the main portage pack and half of its height (depending upon individual requirements).
It would have handles on each end and, possibly, a rip stop lining on the bottom for waterproofness when sitting on the bottom of the canoe. Disclaimer: I don't own a solo canoe but this is what I will try when I get one. Hopefully, a Wenonah Voyageur.
Thanks for reading these ramblings!
Happy New Year!

Last edited:
No Title

Here is my Colden Flashfire loaded for a 4 day trip on the Qubec Brook in the ADKs. I use a large main Mtn Eqp. dry backpack with a drybag put
on top inside on carrys. I take the drybag, which has some heavy stuff in it, and put it in the bow and the big pack behind me when on the water.
Turtle

Attachments

• photo1772.jpg
    photo1772.jpg
    461.9 KB · Views: 1
I was tired of using an old Seal line pack for portaging so I bought a Granite Gear Quetico pack and thwart pack last year and I love them. I made a short video of the portage setup (link below), but here's a picture of what it looks like on the water. The other picture shows everything for 7 days beside the Quetico. I find trimming easy by just shifting my weight a little bit forward if necessary, but I do kneel or lean rather than sit most of the time.

Tim River access trip start.JPG Solo-canoe-trip-gear.jpg

I really like the dubble paddles used for a carry yoke idea. double duty use.. I bungee I my double on carrys anyway. Like the way my scout troop used to lash in paddles in grummans to make a yoke.
Turtle

Back