• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Canoe Dog Pics

Reaction score
DSCN0320_zps363e18a0.jpg

Looking through my Photo bucket, I ran across this photo of my youngest son's rat terrier, SUGAR.

She loved to go paddling with me.
Caption for this pic, should read.
" Right now I'm a Lap dog, but I'm dreaming of canoeing"

I'd like to encourage anyone who would like to post a pic of their favorite canoe dog !

Jim

No Title

He is 14 years old, he is a good dog for a chocolate lab, quite intense still to this day. He is not really a canoe dog, we did leave him at home most of the trips cause he was a pain in the but in the canoe and out.... But this fall for the first time he was the best I've seen him in 13 years!!

Attachments

• photo3156.jpg
    photo3156.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 0
  • photo3188.jpg
    photo3188.jpg
    332.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo3194.jpg
    photo3194.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 0
When I went looking for a dog being a good size for canoe travel was a top priority. Was a bit nervous when I picked her up and stopped at a park beside a pond to get acquainted on the way home. She wouldn't get within 2' of the and water and jumped back every time a little wave rolled in. On the 2nd day I put her in the Magic and we've never looked back:

20100711_012 copy_web by Alan, on Flickr

And another when we went paddling with Jim Dodd this fall.

20151025_009_1 by Alan, on Flickr

Alan

Classic Robin !
A Lab, decoys and a shotgun, in a Grumman canoe ! Love it !

Jim

I have shown these before, my pup Jake on his first canoe trip ...

sFQEXjF.jpg

yZx6n3e.jpg

bIBmgix.jpg

Looking forward to more trips with him this summer.

Bob.

Good looking dog, Bob. I have some friends with a Vizsla. She's never been in a canoe but we all agree it's probably not a good idea. She's a bit 'active'. Yours looks nice and well behaved.

Alan

No Title

Lily and Sasha - Grace Lake, Killarney. Both dogs have passed on now after 10+ year canoeing careers. Tripped with both dogs for a 7 year period, necessitating an 18' canoe for that period ;)

Attachments

• photo3457.jpg
    photo3457.jpg
    299.7 KB · Views: 0
No Title

Get in the boat, Daisy.

Attachments

• photo3458.jpg
    photo3458.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo3459.jpg
    photo3459.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 0
I got her at 7 weeks old and we've been paddling together ever since....

6 months old at Ramshead lake BWCA

2 years old on the Lower Yough SE Penna

Boundary Waters Loon Lake

7 years old in the Adirondacks

8 years old Raystown Branch of the Juniata River PA

We used to do an overnight backpack trip for Christmas eve, but this year it will be an overnight paddle as she isn't up to the long hiking anymore....Great dog, a little big for wilderness tripping...but good gawd not as big as Red's Sasquatch!

Cheers,
Barry

Nice sequence of pictures, Waterdog. Looks like you two have had a lot of fun together over the years. I like the white water shot. Does she actually like white water or just tolerate it? Sadie has started to dislike any water that makes noise. That doesn't mean she won't stay put but I can tell she'd much rather be portaging, even if it's just a set of riffles.

Alan

Nice sequence of pictures, Waterdog. Looks like you two have had a lot of fun together over the years. I like the white water shot. Does she actually like white water or just tolerate it? Sadie has started to dislike any water that makes noise. That doesn't mean she won't stay put but I can tell she'd much rather be portaging, even if it's just a set of riffles.

Alan

Thanks Alan. She likes the whitewater. She jumps into the rapids pretty freely. Paddling the rapids in a canoe is problematic because she likes to stand up and scout the lines. She's terrible at it, doesn't communicate well, and I can't see around her very well. On larger, faster runs, I've hit rocks that I couldn't see in front of us and because she's standing she has on occasion been ejected pretty violently. Having said that , I think she likes the freedom to run on the portages better than the confinement of the canoe. (She sleeps pretty hard in the front of the canoe after a few days though).

Milhun,

No doubt Red's dog is a beautiful, big dog. In a previous picture, I thought Red was paddling with a black bear, but now I'm convinced its a sasquatch. A friend of mine has a huge St. Bernard and she is a gentle giant that commands your attention just standing next to you.

Cheers,

Barry

IMG_2628.jpg Thanks Barry and Mihum. I love all the dog pictures. Mine rarely comes on canoe trips with me and that makes me sad. He is just too big. He is great in the canoe, lies there peacefully enjoying the ride, but then he simply shifts his weight and WHOA!!! I took him on a trip this past summer and he had a bit of a panic attack when I left him on shore with the there people while I fished in the bay. Howled like crazy then let out the longest and most haunting howl I have ever heard. A few of the people on shore swear that he got an answer back from the other end of the lake. I would like a dog about half as heavy, but if this one dies it will be hard to get another one.

Last edited:
Back