• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Canoe/camp gun

I use this gun for bunnies and messing around in the timber at my house ... also this is my primary home defense gun. It patterns 00 buck pretty well but really patterns #6 shot nicely as well as #4 buck. The #4 buck is excellent out to about 30 yards. It has 20 inch barrels, the right barrel has a fixed choke that is Improved Cylinder and the left barrel is fixed choke Modified. It fires right first , then left. It is under 7 pounds, is a 12 gauge double barrel and when handled properly, is not terrible to shoot. It is handy ... has a lively action and gets on target very quickly. I would prefer double triggers, but the single is faster to touch off the second barrel. This is a very handy fire-arm and would be an excellent bush gun should a tripper need one. It can shoot slugs, but I have not put any through it yet.

Bob.

5WQ5UTD.jpg

qLFjLy2.jpg

T04VFdb.jpg

Last edited:
I am not a hunter and I don't normally carry when on trips. I had a 20 year military career that also involved law enforcement so I am certainly comfortable with weapons. The only time I felt it necessary to carry was on a 3 week trip in polar bear territory. No one travels in polar bear country without being armed and it is considered foolish to do so. I carried a Marlin 444 lever gun with iron sights and with 335 grain rounds. This trip was in a kayak so the rifle was carried on deck in a Watershed dry bag designed for long guns so it was accessible while paddling. I slept with it, ate with it, and crapped with it within easy reach. There are times when it pays to be paranoid! My paddling partner had a 12 ga. Mossberg with 3" shells and 1.5 oz. slugs. We never saw a bear but when we ran across tracks that were larger than dinner plates we both wished we had something BIGGER in the arsenal.
Dave

Bob that looks like a Stoeger Coach Gun, pretty wood on that thing.

jbull

It is a Stoeger Coach Gun ... it is a pretty handy - fun little thing ... with some serious firepower. I have not taken it canoeing, but would be fairly handy to bring along. It is a fine rabbit gun when beating the brush without dogs. It could be fine for turkey as well, or set up with a call coyote hunting, so I think it fits the canoe/camp gun criteria of the OP.

Dave04, bear tracks larger than dinner plates ... yikes! I would be extremely uncomfortable no matter what I was armed with!

Bob.

My wife and I are in the early stages of planning canoe/deer hunt trip next winter on Skiatook Lake. Thinking a week or so. Soooo it looks like I need a new light weight canoe deer rifle. I usually hunt with my long range bolt gun but its way to heavy probably 12 pounds. I'm thinking a 6 or 7pound bolt rig in .308. My will be elated to know I NEED a new rifle.

Well....there goes Memaquay, putting on the style! Can that be a drip starting on the end of his nose?? Just kidding Rob, that BLR is a great gun and you deserve it.
If I were actually going to hunt from the canoe I'd be tempted to get a good quality short barreled Mosen-nagant or the Lee-Enfield 4. Both are rock solid and you wouldn't feel bad about the few bumps and scratches. Of course, both in their time were assault rifles, so who knows how many terrorists alerts you might trip!

Best Wishes,

Rob

I'll probably be looking for a serviceable used rifle that I won't be spending a lot on. I have a plenty of good rifles but most are to nice to risk losing to the bottom of the lake and/or are too heavy. I load my own ammo and already have lots of .308 brass etc. I have a year to find one.

Ah Rob, you're a man after my own heart. Mosin carbines, M38's, have just arrived in Canada again. I have a regular Mosin, i love it, and will canoe hunt with it, but it's just too long for portaging. Can't wait to get my hands on the carbine, hope there are still some around after Christmas. I never would have bought that BLR, too expensive, Irene got it for me for Christmas last year, she's a good woman!

Jbull, Savage makes a synthetic stock bolt action called the Axis. It sells as a cheap rifle/scope package usually under 400 brand new. Probably pretty cheap second hand. Gun snobs sneer at them, but they are very accurate, and kill a lot of moose up here. Comes in almost every calibre possible. Good canoeing gun, one you wouldn't have to worry about dropping in the drink.

Oldie Moldy, not trying to be picky here, must informative (to the best of my knowledge that is). Both the Mosin and the Lee-Enfield are regularly bought/sold on Canadian websites and can be shipped via Canada Post. Both rifles mentioned are bolt-action, not auto-loading. Neither have ever been considered "assault" rifles. Assault weapons back then were short barreled auto-loading with semi or full auto firing capabilities. The shortened 20 inch or so barreled cavalry carbines of the M-N and the L-E were used by paratroopers and carried in vehicles like armored cars.
All/All assault weapons are banned/prohibited in Canada, by my thinking for darn good reasons. The Canadian definition of an "assault" weapon is either a fully automatic weapon or a semi-auto that can be adapted to auto fire. FWIW, I own Mosin and Lee-Enfield and their immediate auto loading (not auto firing) replacement successors and there is nothing more fun to shoot than the Communist era SKS semi-auto. A military surplus or clone $200 SKS is starting to get popular as a deer gun but awfully light for moose. Military surplus 7.62x39 SKS ammo can be bought by the 1,400 round wooden crate for around 3 cents per round. To me, it would be the ideal canoe deer gun.
Cheers Ted

Ted, where are you getting SKS ammo for 3 cents a round? I just ordered a case of 1440 from Canadaammo for 209.00 and thought I was doing very well.

4.3 cents per round is a really good price right now. I bought four 1440 round crates about 2 years ago and only have a crate and a half left so I'm getting anxious.
I've been keeping my eye open for another good deal and, at the way I go through x39s, I keep hoping.
Pretty soon I'll have to bite the bullet and buy another 4 cases as I figure the prices will just keep climbing as North America jumps on the SKS bandwagon.
Right now the best that I can find is $200 for a crate of 1320 Romanian corrosives at SFRC. I've been shooting Yugo corrosives with absolutely no issues and am a tad worried about switching to Romanian. If I can get crates of Yugos at 4 - 4.5 cents a round, I'll jump at the chance and spend a little extra for something that's done me well. A real hoot to shoot.
I have two and my fav is the 1950 Russian Tula. It's almost as much fun to shoot as my 1810 flintlock musket.

edit: Rats, I just went to the Canadaammo website. Your deal is gone. Even their 1220 $250 crate is out of stock.

Last edited:
Hi Shearwater, You're absolutely right; I was making a limping joke based on both guns extensive war record. If that's what your armed with and your doing your very best to kill those other fellows over there, to my weak noodle that sounds like assault to me. But that's not the definition current today. Not at all.

Along with the ban on that type of assault rifle, I suspect that your Canada has some sort of mental health system that's able to identify and treat people who might become shooters of school children. I'd hope so anyway. That's my real fear; this concentrating on the gun and not what contributed to making someone a killer. Is it just two days ago some kid took a pump shotgun to school, shot a poor girl and then himself. So working off the logic of ban the gun; shall we ban pump shotguns? I'm sorry, but this unasked question of "Where are all these killer kids coming from?" cries out for an answer. And that answer isn't as simple as banning this gun or that one.

Sorry for the rant folks,

Rob

I had no intention of getting into 2A argument on this board. Im talking canoes, guns and how they might be used together. Not that I don't enjoy a good 2A debate I'm not looking for it here (too many Canadians, East coasters and Left Coasters LOL) I would probably be banned in short order.

Its probably instructive for each to tell us about their backgrounds and what the purpose of the camp/canoe gun is to avoid some silly uninitended jibes. I have some knowledge but its best for that to come from each person themself.

Back