• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

Canoe Atlas of the Little North: Who did all the sketches?

Jonathan, welcome to site membership! Feel free to ask any questions and to post messages, photos and videos, and to start threads, in our many forums. Please read Welcome to CanoeTripping and Site Rules! Also, please add your location to your profile, which will cause it to show under your avatar, as this is a geographic sport. Many of the site's technical features are explained in Features: Help and How-To Running Thread. We look forward to your participation in our canoe community.

Congrats on your book. I don't have it, so I'm curious as to what kind of canoe(s) do you have and what are some of the places you've paddled in the north.

Wow, great to hear from you! I ran the high school OutersClub in Geraldton for a couple of decades, and the program has been going since the late 1960's. We have quite a bit of older documentation of routes south of the Ogoki river down to Lake Superior. After I picked up your book, I was quite amazed at your documentation of our routes, everything was pretty much exactly the same. Of course we struggle to keep many of these routes open, but I often find myself looking through your maps when planning to cut a new/old route. Nice to have you aboard!

I finally bought the book earlier this year. Yes, the drawings and maps are great. Most of the maps have so much information on them that I have to photograph them and put them on a computer to enlarge the image just to see the detail. Thank you.

Mark

I have the book also and first became aware of it when I saw a copy at Uncle Phil Cotton’s house prior to a Wabakimi Project trip maybe 10 years ago. A very impressive effort and welcome to the forum.

thanks for the warm welcomes; please take the atlas as a slice in time with on going ecological /human processes always altering the landscape. Some routes will remain cleared (for example the Norway Houses to Gods Lake Narrows route was well used when I went over it in the early 2000s as the recreational group for youth from Gods Lake Narrows made the trip twice year to visit relatives so all the trails were open-not a single fallen tree! and there was plenty of blue cord on the trees for the taking.. Absent significant hot burns those trails should be in the ground no matter what.

Thanks to our Similar Threads feature, I reminded myself that we have a video lecture by Jonathan Berger on our site, which he gave at White Rose Canoe (a member here) in February 2023 and which is now on YouTube. Jonathan's lecture begins at 35:30 of this two speaker video.

Back