• Happy (Ancient) May Day! 🎀💈💃🏼🧺💐🍴

Cane or webbing?

Reaction score
The seats in this Allagash fiberglass canoe are pressed in cane. Both seats either need new cane or I could flip them over and install webbing. This canoe has the potential as an affordable entry level flatwater tripper, so I kinda figure webbing might be the way to go.
The seats are in this picture leaning against the wall, the bow seat is a slider which I'm refinishing the frame and will re-install

What would you do, cane or black webbing?

DSC00776.JPG

I have two canoes with cane seats and they don't hold up in a dry climate. The third was has webbing which is much more durable. On another post we have seen that web seats don't have to be black.

I guess I'd ask which requires less maintenance? If this is designed as an entry level tripper I think the less maintenance a person needs to do, while learning everything else that goes along with trips, might be attractive to the buyer. Just a thought but it might aid in the eventual sale of the canoe.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

I like the black webbing. Not only might it be easier and faster to do, but I think it would look good in this canoe.

Some canoes just cry out for cane seats - like my deluxe kevlar Malicite - and I would not consider replacing with anything less. In most other cases, I would prefer something more durable. I have done one replacement using web strap. It worked fine, but I was never really comfortable about using staples on a seat that would get wet often. Other methods of fastening would mean more work.

I really like the woven bootlace method that Nova Craft uses, and I think I will put that to use on another canoe at some point. Nice thing about that is it's cheap and easily repaired in the field. I have done a couple canoes with something like a Belgian chair weave, using dacron cord. Nice thing about that is it requires no grooves or holes in the seat frame. It does make a really nice seat, and is also not expensive or hard to find material. The downside is that it takes more time and a lot more cordage than the weave NC uses.

Last edited:
I can't stand cane. First it starts to sag, which means you're sitting on the frame, and then it finally breaks.

Polypropylene or polyester webbing won't stretch or break. I've got 30 year old canoes with webbing as good as new.

If the cane is splined and the spline is glued in, it can be very difficult to remove the spline and get the old caning out. One possibility for a replacement seat that looks similar to cane is Polyester cord (similar to boot lace cord). It can be woven like cane, but needs holes around the edge to weave through.

Webbing would be cheaper, easier and likely better for whomever purchases the boat. Most people wouldn't have a clue how to repair the cane down the road and would incur the expense of replacing the seats.

I have woven a few seat frames using synthetic snow shoe lacing.
It gives a very traditional look, is completely waterproof, requires no maintenance and is very comfortable to sit on...

IMG_0109_zpsmoqbjk92.jpg
PictureofBaileyschair201_zps299367f1.jpg
I too use the nylon Snowshoe cord ! 1/2" It's incredibly strong !
Be careful, NOT to string it tight, as when you soak it with varnish, it shrinks! Then it's like sitting on wood.

I have one seat with black webbing, and it's very comfortable, and I'm sure will outlast cane.

Last edited:
i've always added boot-lace when i replace seats, it seems functional, durable, and aesthetically neutral -- doesn't look too out of place in a tripping boat -- i've never much cared for the look of webbing, and its wetter in the wet -- that synthetic snowshoe lace looks excellent! i may have to look into that next time 'round.

I've always used a stiff type paracord to weave my seats, but the last few, including the one for my new solo, have been poly webbing. So much faster to make, and just as comfortable.

Thanks for the reply's, I have the black webbing but was on the fence about using it or cane. I'll go with the webbing. I removed the old cane yesterday, sanded the frames and slider frame, then coated them with varnish.
The old underside of the seat frames will now be the new topside of the seats with this black inch and a half webbing.

DSC00777.JPG

Good choice !

I'm leaning towards the webbing myself, on a future build.

Hoping to see some finished pictures.:D

Jim

That look great Robin! I really like the look of the snowshoe lacing on the seats from Jim!

Looks great with the parkayed bottom !
It would be nice if we could find that webbing in different colors !

Jim

Back