• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

BMO Trip

Reaction score
The Hereford Zone along the Mason-Dixon Line
ALSG, Tom and I made a trip up to Blue Mountain Outfitters in Marysville PA today. I had e-mailed them a list of stuff I was looking for the day before:

Plastic or composite seat pans. Old Wenonah stuff, new Wenonah stuff, Mad River IQ stuff, etc. I need a seat pan, my friend DougD needs one as well. At least two.

Flange washers

Robert’s valves for float bag tubes.

Strap grommets and other doohickies from the lazy Susan bins.

Some chunks of minicel, pieces you have in scrap under the mysterious trap door would probably suffice.

Sumattas, preferable nylon.

I printed the list and presented it at the front counter. Sarah looked at it and asked “What’s a Sumatta”. I responded “I dunno, what’s Sumatta you?”. Mary, one of the BMO owners was also standing behind the counter and remarked “Dammit, I spent time Googling that last night”, and we all had a good laugh.

I Googled the made up word Sumattas when I got home. And the singular “Sumatta”. The closest Mary would have found on Google is this:

https://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Sumata

Oh. My. God.

ALSG got everything on his list. Tom didn’t have a list but still left with a new double bent Mitchell paddle and 30’ of good bungee cord.

I got everything on my list. Except a Sumata.

BMO is great people, canoe people who really know their stuff. We could have spent all day there and, even with lists in hand, did spend a couple hours.

We're in Ephrata, PA for the weekend visiting our youngest son and his family to celebrate his son's first birthday. Nancy threatened certian of my body parts if this trip became the 3rd (4th?) trip in a row to end with another canoe on the roof rack. As a consolation, I'm headed to Blue Mountain Outfitters this morning to see what other trouble I can get into.......

On the other hand, I'm dropping off a spare blacksmith's post vise that's working it's way to Weedsport, NY for another son who recently made a forge and took up knife making. Maybe a claim that I made room for more stuff when I gave the vise away will buy some measure of forgiveness in case I come back with a big heap of stuff.

Lance

If you have a trailer hitch you could leave with a beautiful used Clipper Mariner, complete with trailer and custom cover.

https://www.clippercanoes.com/products/mariner
Are you paying for it? If it's there I didn't see it. But if it's there and you pay for it I'll go back for it. :D

By the way, I mentioned your name..... they charged me double.

Umm... not really but we did agree that you were an interesting character. I got foot brace kits for the Spirit II and the Northwoods, some G-Flex and filler and a clamp on rod holder so not much, really. But now that I know where it is I'll likely stop again as it's only about 10 minutes out of the way when we visit the son in Ephrata and less than that when we head north to Auburn, NY where we used to live.

Lance

“Are you paying for it? If it's there I didn't see it. But if it's there and you pay for it I'll go back for it” :D

You must have parked in the big lot on the south side of the store. There’s a smaller parking lot on the north side with some other used canoes. The Clipper Mariner is under a carport on that side.

https://www.bluemountainoutfitters.net/news-blog/2022/04/spring-2022-newsletter/#war-canoe

$3500 is a helluva price for that Mariner with custom trailer and cover.

https://www.clippercanoes.com/products/mariner

A new one runs $8795 without storage cover or trailer, plus whatever it takes to get it from Abbotsford, BC to the east Coast.

“By the way, I mentioned your name..... they charged me double”

That’s odd. My kickback from folks I send their way is usually only 10%.

“I got foot brace kits for the Spirit II and the Northwoods, some G-Flex and filler and a clamp on rod holder so not much, really. But now that I know where it is I'll likely stop again”

Yeah, there’s a reason I bring a wish list when I visit BMO; beyond the boats and vast paddle selection it is a wonderland of outfitting and repair parts and pieces, and it’s hard to see it all on just one visit.

Back