• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

bent paddle length

Reaction score
So, I got a heck of a deal on a Zav bent shaft paddle, but I think it is too long for me. The guy I got it from is the same size as me, but he only used it once (according to his pitch) on a trip ten years ago that he was talked into by a friend. He did the trip and decided canoeing was not his thing, then put the paddle away and forgot about it for ten years (wealthy people do odd things). Anyway - I don't think I can rely on his judgement for paddle length. It's 52". I'm 5'-11" and usually use a 52" or 54" straight. Shouldn't I be shortening this to 50" or less?

Hi Steve - I'm 6'1" but with longer than normal arms and use a 50" bent shaft and 52" straight. According to those charts I should be using something much longer. A shorter paddle is a little more comfortable for me too since I have issues with one of my shoulders and don't like to lift over my head too much.

I'm just shy of 6'. When I am paddling bow in a big voyageur canoe, I use a 52" bent for long marathon paddles, such as the Yukon 1000 mile race. In another slimmer voyageur that is fitted differently I use a 51". My 5'10" stern paddler uses a 54" but he sits up high. Bow paddling in a C4 I have been paddling a lot lately, I find a 50" most comfortable and easier on my shoulders than a 51". When I paddle stern in a C2 I usually use a 51", depending on load. And finally when paddling a solo Placidboat Rapidfire I use a 49" with an elevated seat, but a 48" would not be too short.

An inch different length really does make a difference for me, especially when racing or paddling very long marathons. So you see you have to match paddle length to your paddling style, to the boat and loading, and to your position in the boat.

Wow Steve maybe you are really short torsoed or sit low in the boat. Usually folks use a bent 3-5 inches shorter than a straight, all other things being equal. 52 inches for a straight is too short for me. I am 5'5" and short torsoed. I use a 33 inch shaft length. That can translate into anything regarding overall length of paddle depending on blade shape. I can go to 32 and 34.. can tell the difference.. Is it a big deal.. probably not.

What shaft length is that Zav? That is all that matters. What shaft length do you use for a straight shaft paddle? It ought to be pretty much the same for a bent.

For most people in recreational paddling an inch or so does not matter much. I thought my 46 inch bent shaft would be too short for my husband with the Low Seat in the RapidFire. He is six feet. and all torso. Yet he was able to submerge the paddle all in the water.

It seems your mechanics have your grip hand never above your nose. ..thats good. You never want to get it up high!

I am about your height (or was) and a 52" bent shaft Zav would work well for me. But you favor a fairly short straight shaft paddle for your size so I suspect you might find the Zav a bit too long.

For what it is worth, I have used straight shaft paddles anywhere from 54" to 58" in length, depending on blade length, canoe seat height, etc. This assumes a "sugar island" blade shape or something approximating it (not long bladed otter or beaver tail paddles). My bent shafts have ranged from 48" to 54" in length, so typically 4-6" less in overall length. But I am often using bent shaft paddles for a different style of paddling, usually sit and switch solos with a fairly low seat. For sit and switch paddling you don't need as much paddle length to place the blade near the stems for correction and turning strokes and a shorter paddle makes it easier to swing it across the gunwales.

I'm 6'1" and all I use are Zav's. I mostly use bents but have a couple straights too. Pretty much all my paddling is in dedicated solo canoes.

When sitting I like a 54" straight. When kneeling I like a 56".

For bents I've used a 49" for years and it always felt good in my sleek and narrow solos. It's what I took on my 30 day trip last year and I started thinking it felt a little short in that somewhat wider boat with slightly higher seat. So I took my 52" bent, which was certainly too long for me, and shortened it to 50". Been paddling that one all year, at least until I lost it in the river the other night, and really liked the length a lot.

I think shorter is definitely better if you're paddling hit and switch with short strokes. If you're using the bent shaft similar to how you'd traditionally use a straight shaft, like J or Canadian strokes, with a slower cadence and less switching of sides longer probably isn't so bad. I've been slowing the last couple years and paddle my bents with something resembling a Canadian stroke much of the time. Longer is better for that.

You can heat the shaft/grip junction with a heat gun to remove the grip. First time I tried it it worked slick as snot. I've done a few more since then and they were a lot more difficult. Took more heat, more twisting, more cussing, and more worrying that I was going to ruin the grip. They all came although one of grips did start to collapse and developed a small tear near the shaft that was fine after adding a little epoxy.

Alan

I've done a few more since then and they were a lot more difficult. Took more heat, more twisting, more cussing, and more worrying that I was going to ruin the grip.

If by chance yours has the plastic grip I don't think you'll be able to remove it without ruining the grip. I sure wasn't able to anyway.

Alan

Sit on a chair, with your back "straight" looking straight a head, have some one measure from the top of the chair seat, to the tip of your nose, the bridge of your nose or to your eyes, these are the 3 most common length in racing paddles, depending on the boat you are using, Jensen 18 stock, V-pro, no gear and regular weight paddlers(140 to 180#) you would usually want the shortest of the 3, tripping style canoe, like the WWII, you might want a bit longer, and if you race a regular rec canoe a bit longer than that!!

But of course it all depends on preference. What I do, after I cut the grip to a certain length, I tape it with electrical tape and go for a spin and adjust accordingly... And yes if you find it is to short, you can make it longer, not by 2 inches, but by at least 1/2 inche and sometime 3/4....

And yes if you find it is to short, you can make it longer, not by 2 inches, but by at least 1/2 inche and sometime 3/4....

I lengthened a Zav by 3" once.
I was lucky that a piece of 1" aluminum tube used as a mandrel made a carbon tube the same outside diameter as the shaft. I was also lucky that a 3/4" aluminum tube used as a mandrel made a smaller carbon tube that fit perfectly inside the original shaft as well as the larger tube I'd made. The smaller piece gave strength to the butt joint and the longer one lengthened the shaft. The grip fit inside of it perfectly. Then a short piece of carbon sleeve over the whole thing to make it all one. I was pretty shocked when I didn't ruin the paddle, grip, or both in the process. ;)

Alan

I use a different technique when I need to get longer than 3/4 inches, but it all work!
:D

I'll add to the confusion. I'm fairly tall from my rump up, and comfortable with 50"-53" bent blade.

Buy it if you don't like, a 52" is probably the most common size, and would have great resale ! Hint !

Ho and forgot to say, it also depends on your cadence, when I was racing I was using a 7 1/4 wide( or around that) Levass Paddle, at a stroke rate averaging 65/minute. you just can't do that with a long paddle w/o destroying your shoulders!

Well, curse my memory. I got out the measuring tape and checked my paddles, and the one I use the most is 56" with a 36" shaft. That favorite paddle that I broke is 54" - but it was my favorite mainly because it weighed 20 oz - as opposed to a full two pounds for my other. I was liking it even though it seemed a bit short at times. Shaft length on the Zav is the same as my 56" straight and my favorite ottertail. Anyway - according to that BB chart, the 52" Zav should work for me and my 30" seat to nose measurement. I guess I just need to go out and paddle with it a while and decide.

I wasn't intending to have a Zav as my first bent to experiment with - but I have learned that when a deal appears, it is sometimes best to grab it and ask questions later. Maybe I'm a sucker, but $150 for a "like new" Power Surge Light seemed too good to pass.

Thanks for all the input. And Alan - thanks for the heat gun tip. Carbon grip on this one. If I have an inkling that it's too long after using it some, I'll do the surgery. If I go a little too far, my wife will still be able to use it - and I start looking again. ;)

Turns out the length is okay. Probably could stand to be an inch or two shorter, but I'm going to live with it like it is for now. Bad news is my wood paddles now feel like lead.

Didn't have time to get into detail since I paddled until now. I did five miles on the local lake this last Sunday. Didn't break any speed records, but did some fast paddling with short strokes sit & switch and some lazy J stroke. Overall, I think I'm going to be okay with the 52" length. Neatest thing about it is how tired I wasn't when I was done. I know that five miles doesn't sound like all that much, but don't forget - I'm more of a poler than a paddler.

I think shorter is definitely better if you're paddling hit and switch with short strokes. If you're using the bent shaft similar to how you'd traditionally use a straight shaft, like J or Canadian strokes, with a slower cadence and less switching of sides longer probably isn't so bad. I've been slowing the last couple years and paddle my bents with something resembling a Canadian stroke much of the time. Longer is better for that.

Yeah....I see that now.

Bad news. After this revelation, I felt a little guilty with my wife hefting a 36 oz double in her Chessie. I just had to go buy her a carbon double - 24 oz. She hasn't used it yet or the Zav (which she will surely try, next time we go tandem). Once she does, I bet she will need a shorter carbon single. These bargains can get expensive.

Back