• Happy National Paranormal Day! 🔮👻👽

basalt-innegra

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I will start soon the construction of a small boat for a polar expedition (www.rennespolenord.com).

This boat has to resist to the journey on the Arctic ice. To do that, I plan to use a material able to absorbe chocs and even large deformation: Basalt - Innegra composite.

I have read posts on different forums but I still miss important informations...

I understood this material also known as TuffStuff is common in canoe boat building also seek help from your community :)

Has anyone here built or knows how to buid a canoe of this kind?

Have a good day,

Vincent

There are some posts here, if you do a search. Bell or North star canoes built one a few years back for Will Steger. ?

I can't offer experience on a Polar Expedition build !

I'd be interested in what you find.

Good Luck ! By the way ? Welcome to the site !

Jim

I’ve built a couple canoes from it. It’s really easy to work with. For a layup schedule I would treat it like Kevlar. For performance, I think it’s stronger than Kevlar.

Hi Guys !

Easy to work with Mp214parks? I am glad to hear that !!! What do you mean by that?

My biggest fear is regarding the sanding... Is it possible to sand it easily? like glass or carbone?

As the boat is large, I will have to overlap layers along the hull and then smoothen the overlapings by sanding.... Do you think it is do able?

The layup schedule I am planning to use is 4 x 8oz for a total on 900gsm and 1,3mm. I am also looking at using "flexible" epoxy resin to allow large deformation in case of big crah!

Is this king of resin used in canoe building?

Cheers

Vincent

You will be way ahead if you get some peel ply tape to cover your overlap seams, pretty much eliminates the need to sand those seams.

Hi BCWCA66,

It will be the case, every layer is cured in vaccum bag with peel ply and drain.... You are true, ther might not need sanding, I might be too meticulous

This PDF has a nice comparison chart for various reinforcements. What resin are you thinking about using? I know West System G flex is a flexible type epoxy but I have not heard anyone use it to build a whole canoe. I think that would get expensive. I know most of the canoe manufactures in North America use vinylester resins some still use epoxy. Vinylester resin compared to epoxy resins is generally more UV light resistant and percentage of flexibility can be more easily manipulated. Using reinforcements like Innegra a flexible resin would allow you to gain the most benefit from the fabric. I have no idea what layup schedule you should use. You may want to call or email some canoe manufactures using Innega or Innegra manufacturer and ask what to use. The manufacturers of innegra and resins want success and they have a ton of data.

http://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/6effc2_b1b0fa18579948afaa55ac624b83a746.pdf

You will be way ahead if you get some peel ply tape to cover your overlap seams, pretty much eliminates the need to sand those seams.

Peel ply tape? As in peel ply ready cut in 2 or 3 inch wide rolls? Where can I buy that?

I have been looking for peel ply tape for years. Pre-cut rolls of narrow peel ply would make fiberglass tape or Dynel sleeve application so much easier.

The blue-ish release fabric isn’t fun to cut into long narrow strips. The white release treated peel ply fabric that looks much like fiberglass cloth is easier to cut that way, but a roll of narrow peel ply would be a godsend for shop boatwork.

Back