• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Antique Multi Tool

Reaction score
I was watching a Youtube video about wall tents and the guy pulls out a antique "multi tool" to make some stakes, handy little tool with a bunch of tools stuffed in the hollow handle, a saw, screw driver, tack puller, drill bit, awl, a chisel or two. ( the cap unscrews and the tools stuff inside)

So I found one on eBay for a reasonable price and ordered it. I hope to make some modifications, like ad a phillips screwdriver tool, a Robertson driver bit,(Chestnut canoes use Robertson square head screws), maybe modify a sawsall blade to fit and a smaller drill bit. I like the tack puller it comes with, and a chisel will be nice too.

As my "tripping style" evolves, I will find myself with more time in camp and tools like this will come in handy to work on my outfit.

s-l1600.jpg

I’ve got several of them too. One is in my truck all the time. I should probably unload a couple if anyone is interested. Some I have I bought without tools with the idea of making a set as needed. Never got around to it though and doubt I will, time to clear out some excess.
Jim

I've got a half dozen of them strategically placed around the house. A great tool and I've had good luck finding them cheap

Talk about a flashback!!
When I was a kid, my parents kept a multitool in the tool drawer in their kitchen
All brass hollow handle with screwdriver tips and even a screw on hammer head

I was in the shop this afternoon and had 3 of these Multi Tools there. Here's one to look for, I think it's a Greenley tool but the markings are worn off.
P1270123.JPG
The difference with this tool is it has a double jawed chuck like a Brace
P1270120.JPG
It will take 1/4" bits
P1270124.JPG
And Jig Saw blades, I tested it on a White Oak wine barrel stave. 'Cut Good', and on a Pull Stroke
P1270125.JPG
I'll bounce these pics off an old tool forum and see if I can find a manufacturer.

That's what I'm hoping to make with mine, the little saw blade is nice, as is the phillips head. I hope mine is compatible.

So I drove down to the local Old Tool store and found another Millers Falls tool handle, the one I had had a couple of cracks in it and some pieces of the male threads broken out.
P1270128.JPG
I pulled a couple of the attachments out and added several more. I ended up with a #1, 2 & 3 Phillips bits, a couple of flat tips, and a T25. A large flat tip, a punch, 1/4" drill bit, a Chisel, and a Gouge. I also put in 3 jigsaw blades, one for metal, clean-cut wood, and speed-cut wood.

P1270126.JPG
Thanks for the idea Robin, I've never a fan of Multi-Tools but I like this one.

Attachments

• P1270128.JPG
    P1270128.JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 0
That's great, Thanks for adding the pics cause it just helped me figure out some issues I was having, what to keep, what to add. Mine came yesterday, I already added the small jig saw blade but I will probably improve that and ad the metal cutting blade.

I was working in a home this past week and was asked by this old family friend if I would do a few favours for her. "No such things as favours between friends" I told her. Just put the kettle on and point me the way to the problem. There were just a few small DIY things to put to right and her mind put to rest. But the last was a doozy. "I haven't been able to face Ron's tools since he passed two years ago." The pain still burned deep. We faced it together. I did confide in her that I felt both at home and awkward rooting through another's tools. A bucket of assorted old screw drivers, maybe a dozen or more. No thank you, I won't help myself. I have a full bucket just like this at home. Wallpaper liner by the roll. Old dried up primer sealer by the can. Nuts, bolts, nails and screws by the jar. I sorted things out into 3 piles. Pile A was a collection of things she'd possibly need some day. You never know when you might like to hang a picture, replace a leaky washer, touch up that hallway wall. Pile B was junk, although still useful but not so useful to an aging widow. I said this was the pile nosey family could sort through if they came to "help" (themselves). They shall not touch pile A. Pile C was trash. Guiltless garbage. Let it go. And then I came across an item that looked exactly like Robin's antique multi tool. Well almost exactly. It didn't have the adjustable nut, the 4" flat head screw driver tip was fastened securely in the chrome end. The handle was a nicely turned knob of wood. She wondered aloud if Ron's dad left him that. I said in that case it belongs in a higher place than pile A; in your kitchen handy junk drawer. You do have one of those I asked her. "Oh dear! Yes I do! We need to tackle that next I suppose." I suggested that might be another project for another time and another pot of tea.

Back