• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Swiss Army Knife: Blade and Tools Preferences?

For info. up here in Canada, and in many other parts of the world, we can fly with knives that have blades less than 6cm long. I like my little SAK Classic. I use the scissors for all sorts of tasks from cutting tape to trimming toenails. I usually have another bigger knife along and a Leatherman in the repair kit.

After carrying a single blade Gerber as my daily knife for 40 years I recently switched to a SA Tinker and am very happy. I bought it for carving and like it for that but never thought it would replace the Gerber as my everyday knife. Even though it is thicker than the Gerber all of the edges are round and it is just as comfortable as the Gerber and it doesn't leave a ware mark on my jeans. In addition to never being without a knife I get use out of the screwdrivers, bottle opener and awl. The only thing it's missing is the scissors which are a good tool for trimming nose hair.

Like others, I have a pretty well equipped one in my tripping repair kit along with a Leatherman.

I use to carry a SA with me for years. Use the awl once but never ever the corkscrew! After 9/11 I pulled it out at work, schools, and was strictly spoken to about that so now I don't have one with me. For out on the rivers I have the knife on my vest, a leatherman, a folding knife in my pocket. In my kitchen pack I have a filet knife that I keep very sharp for cutting meats, cheese or whatever. I have thought about a sheath knife but after catching one during a drag over on a limb and almost falling in I ditched it. Having several knifes on a trip in my minds eye is a good thing!

re: blades and flying
We all now know what evil can accomplish with few and simple means. That is why I don't kick up a fuss at border crossings and airports. My inconvenience is a mere trifle compared to what we're trying to achieve. But I do understand the frustrations. Made to leave travelling liquids behind at the gate. No shampoosoapaftershave... Once even a cup of coffee. Really? Proving it was harmless by drinking some made no difference. Stupid me. And yes, an EDC too once. crapshitshit...stupid me. At Fort Erie I missed the extra yellow line and stop sign, AKs drawn and our eyes as big as pie plates (Travelling girl soccer players in the back seats)...stupid me. I'm not a frequent traveller but have gotten in the habit of leaving home with empty pockets. And I think twice about bothering to wear a belt. But this is just blab to say we've all been there, and it's a hard hard painful place to go back to. The good old days. But if this is a brave new world, then I for one want to be a part of it. Clear eyes, clean mind, pure heart. It's worth a try. And I'll start to wear a belt again. Fellow travellers will thank me.

My wife scooped a handy little pocket companion left over from a fundraiser. A ratchet driver socket set. It comes along on canoe trips. Many socket and screwdriver tip selections in a handy small case. Just in case. A choice of 2 multi tools are also pocketed away, one of which has a tiny flashlight. Genius! Two folders travel with us on canoe trips, but never any SAKs. They've almost become redundant to us. But I'm always open to change, and will keep my eyes open to the SA possibilities.

I use to carry a SA with me for years. Use the awl once but never ever the corkscrew! After 9/11 I pulled it out at work, schools, and was strictly spoken to about that so now I don't have one with me. For out on the rivers I have the knife on my vest, a leatherman, a folding knife in my pocket. In my kitchen pack I have a filet knife that I keep very sharp for cutting meats, cheese or whatever. I have thought about a sheath knife but after catching one during a drag over on a limb and almost falling in I ditched it. Having several knifes on a trip in my minds eye is a good thing!

It's a shame you can't carry a knife anymore, I'd feel naked without one. They have a saying in Scandinavia, "A man without a knife is a man without a life"

I also wear a neck knife that doubles as a secure and convenient place to hold my reading glasses. Whenever someone comments negatively about it I politely explain that it is a tool and not a weapon. Then I end with,(while raising my voice)"and I swear I'm gonna slash the next person who says anything about it" It's always gotten a laugh.

Made to leave travelling liquids behind at the gate. No shampoosoapaftershave... Once even a cup of coffee. Really? Proving it was harmless by drinking some made no difference. Stupid me. And yes, an EDC too once. crapshitshit...stupid me.
At Fort Erie I missed the extra yellow line and stop sign, AKs drawn and our eyes as big as pie plates

My dear departed father may have been the only person to be stopped not once but twice at Atlanta Hartsfield for having a handgun in his carry on. Ed packed a handgun like most folks put on underwear, but he was getting old and forgetful.

However, he had ID’s to prove he was a Deputy Sheriff in a half a dozen Georgia Counties, and the private phone numbers for various Georgia police chiefs, as well as GA Senator and Congressmen friends. “Just tell Newt it’s Mac, and that the poker game is still on at my place for Friday”

Good thing they never searched him and found the (real, State issued) driver’s licenses, each bearing different names, from Tennessee, Alabama and South Carolina.

Ed preferred fast cars (I got his tuned Le Mans up to almost 140 mph). Towards the end of his well compensated work life he settled on a big-engine Mercedes that would cruise comfortably at 100mph.

On long drives Ed would pick up hitchhikers with the admonition “Can you drive? Good, drive this. Go fast!” and nap in the passenger seat with a hand cannon held in his lap for motivation. Never had a problem.

That “Greatest Generation” were some bold men, and may never come our way again.

Back