• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

ALPS Mountaineering Tent

Reaction score
Good afternoon,

Does anyone had any experience/knowledge with Alps Mountaineering tents? I don't need another tent but I see a 4 season (I am guessing "lite" 4 season) tent that is only $200, which might be worth buying as a loaner, back-up, or just to keep the miles off my more expensive tents when conditions don't warrant the higher end. Pretty good reviews. The model I am looking at is the Highland, but any info from any model would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Well, I have had the tent out on a couple of trips so far and I must admit I have been pleased with the results.

This is not as light as my NF and Marmot's, and the shock cords are not as beefy, but for it's intended purpose it works well. I believe the owner previously worked at Kelty.

The tent is roomy and has good sized dual vestibules. Set up is very straight forward. I ended up liking it as much as my other tents.

Durability, so far, is good. I used it on site 18 at Lows and had heavy non-stop wind and rain for 4 days. Came through it perfectly - not a drop of water. Footprint is available.

I probably won't need to purchase any more tents in this lifetime, however if I do, I would certainly give these a serious look.

I have the Alps Taurus 2 tent. I have used it a few time now and like it. It’s a 2 person tent and does have enough room inside for two people comfortable with each other. I like the vestibules and the doors on each side. Sets up easily and quickly.
174C24BA-509A-4775-A273-AF0FB117E3E2.jpeg

Well, I have had the tent out on a couple of trips so far and I must admit I have been pleased with the results.

This is not as light as my NF and Marmot's, and the shock cords are not as beefy, but for it's intended purpose it works well. I believe the owner previously worked at Kelty.

The tent is roomy and has good sized dual vestibules. Set up is very straight forward. I ended up liking it as much as my other tents.

Durability, so far, is good. I used it on site 18 at Lows and had heavy non-stop wind and rain for 4 days. Came through it perfectly - not a drop of water. Footprint is available.

I probably won't need to purchase any more tents in this lifetime, however if I do, I would certainly give these a serious look.
I have a Acropolis 4 - sounds very similar to yours - almost 5' high, symmetrical set-up & hugh vestibules. Wouldn't be a bad tent to bring canoe camping but I'm using it mostly for car camping. Very good construction. A 3 season tent that I got so I could give other tents a break and between point and on sale at REI, less than half price.

Thanks for posting, I just ordered the Acropolis 3 tent. Using REI dividend, 20% off their outlet and other sale made it under $200.
I have lightweight tent for portaging but wanted some type of inexpensive larger base camp tent for paddle trips and car camping. Will give it a few nights out in my yard and test it with some upcoming April showers.

Tent just arrived, set it up quickly before the rain hits hard tomorrow. It’s HUGE which I knew already. I’m used to the solo coffin type Big Agnes tents and small 2 person REI tents.
I wanted a 3 person for non portage trips and simple car camping. I’m going to use a small Maine Byer cot inside and have plenty of room left over. I probably could have gotten away with the 2 person but I wanted a little more head room.

Forgot to add pics, already being called by friends “The Marshmallow!”

Attachments

• 206F7C88-0C8F-4D69-9402-022A522F6A04.jpeg
    206F7C88-0C8F-4D69-9402-022A522F6A04.jpeg
    189.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 40AEEC24-8821-4941-BC9D-C00699F5EB36.jpeg
    40AEEC24-8821-4941-BC9D-C00699F5EB36.jpeg
    194.5 KB · Views: 11
Ha! My Acropolis is coming tomorrow but I bought the 4 person version and I'm worried that it might not be big enough!

Keep in mind that I've been solo tripping with a 9 x 9 floorless tent (know as "the pod"), was going to call the new one the "mini-pod" or perhaps the "puffball".

Basically the same as the 3 with 30% more floor space and an extra 9" of interior height (with my normal stoop I can almost stand up).

I have an old 9x9 Eureka which I love but that’s way to large for me when paddling solo. It is a pleasure when car camping. But old fiberglass poles that I’m a bit worried about.

Warning! Don’t you hate it when someone starts with that? User error!
The rain storm included over 30 mph winds 😩.
Guess you know that “ The marshmallow” went for a short ride. When I came home looking forward to seeing it dry inside it was tipped over and soaked. After 36 hours of hanging inside and drying out with close attention it looks to be ok. No broken or split poles.

Set it up this morning and did find a 1cm tear in tent screen where it joins towards the top. Tenacious tape on the shopping list.
I did use all of the tie out points this time.
Small gear loft gets attached which is nice, but then you can’t use the center loop to hang a light.
Simple fix. Raining again today so I’ll check out the seams. Talk soon.
Also added a carabiner in the middle for now, not to sure about their attachment. Tent is super roomy inside and I can stand hunched over a bit.
Inside height I think is 51”

Attachments

• DF22DBFC-E019-423C-B9E8-5AE294588698.jpeg
    DF22DBFC-E019-423C-B9E8-5AE294588698.jpeg
    284.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 9C726C30-73CF-448B-BD5B-91529CC59896.jpeg
    9C726C30-73CF-448B-BD5B-91529CC59896.jpeg
    273.2 KB · Views: 18
  • E6F441C8-B9C2-4552-9586-5C0A21DCB78F.jpeg
    E6F441C8-B9C2-4552-9586-5C0A21DCB78F.jpeg
    113.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
coldfeet, sorry that your new tent was damaged.

I also test and evaluate my tents prior to use. Understanding the tents capabilities is reassuring in the midst of a storm.

Last edited:
Johnny 5, always learning. I had the 4 corners staked down, 1 stake on each side and 1 stake at each vestibule. No gear was inside when it blew over. 3 of the fly buckles popped open. I wish I had a backyard cam to see what happened. Sleeping in it tonight because my wife is dog sitting. I’m not going to mention about her furry friend taking over my side. 😡

I’m hoping to take the tent on 2 canoe trips next 2 weeks. Be well

Slept out in yard last night. Usual toss and turn hearing the trucks on the highway about 1/2 mile away. 2 nature calls ( usual at 61 yo☹️) ( I’m able to stand hunched over in the tent and use a bottle). weird dream last night and here’s a football name. Kenny Stabler’s name came up in the dream 🤔
Low 40’s last night, nice and cool. My type of weather. Used LL Bean 20F 650 fill rectangular bag probably 8-10 yo now.
Plus large Exped megamat 10 which I got at rei garage sale this winter. That on top of short cot.
Trying to duplicate at home what I’m going to bring next week. The megamat is HUGE so that will get replaced with Neo mattress and wool blanket. I just hosed the tent down again and will check for leaks. I did find a soup spoon of water yesterday but that might have been because I couldn’t undo the toggle quickly when it started to rain That’s the only issue I have, the loops for the goggles could be a bit longer but then maybe it won’t work.
Will get back in 2 weeks after 2 trips.
Best to all.

It is not surprising especially given the profile of the tent that it didn't hold securely without being fully staked down if subjected to 30 MPH winds.
Even fully staked out 30 MPH wind may prove challenging. There are modifications and procedures that can help improve the wind capability of tents.

We are expecting high winds and storms this week and I am considering testing a tent.

Wind speed and effect

Attachments

• DSCN0763.JPG
    DSCN0763.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Be safe. Temps next week in NY ADK looks to be upper 20’s low 30’s. I’m contemplating taking my Snowtrekker tent. Oh just one more time and say bye bye to winter. Would be a tight squeeze with all the other stuff I take.
I might just put on my dry suit, swim and pull my canoe with gear. 😏

Slept out in yard last night.
Sure glad other grown men do this. Picked up a new MSR Hubba Hubba over the winter to replace my previous one (absconded with by my son) and needed to make sure there weren't defects, so set it up in the yard for the weekend for some rainy night sleep testing while my wife was out of town. Tent is just as good as my older one, and a bit lighter. Winning. Now if only I'd realized by son also absconded with my sleeping pad. :/

Clemency, I’m lucky that my daughter now lives in Denver and she has that weight limit when flying. If not, oh man! She has her eye on a cast iron pot and lid that I use once in a while.
Having 3 children she is the youngest and loves the outdoors. We went 2 summers ago Canoetripping in the Tetons. Think I wrote that TR a while back.

I like sleeping in the yard testing gear. Even after a trip, just for more outdoor time.

So, I have an idea for starting a new thread in the discussion. What gear have you given away to your child or others?
Talk soon.

I have a few friends with these and I owned one a few years ago. I feel like for the price they are the best tents on the market. You can spend more for lighter fabrics and poles but it appears to me that as the price goes up from Alps Mountaineering you get less weigh, and less durability and minimal if any functional difference. Granted I have no experience with the $600 up 2-4 person tents and specialty tents excluded.

I have an Acropolis 4 with the floor saver and have used it once on a 3 day canoe trip. I liked it. It replaced an Ascend 4-man tent (Bass Proshop brand). I camped through a severe hail storm and probably a tornado close by. It snapped one of the fiberglass polls and punched a hole in the rain fly. That was the scariest storm I've ever been through. When it stopped about 2:30 in the morning I discovered my brand new Minnesota 3 canoe was gone. I had staked it down about 50' from the water, but the wind took it. Thankfully, I had a friend there who had come with his john boat and we found it about a quarter mile down river caught in some tree limbs.

Back