• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Adirondack new member

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Upstate NY paddler in the Adirondack mountains. I have kayaks and a small solo canoe and paddled off and on for 40 years.
We have a place on Lake Champlain and for the last 15 years did the big boat thing - need one on that lake sometimes.
Decided to sell the 27' as we didn't use it as much and with the gas prices probably going crazy soon, I'm glad we did!

As I am getting older the kayaks are getting tighter and heavier so I started to look at lightweight canoes.

We have Hornbeck boats nearby and I plan on going to see them this spring. Sorry I didn't do it sooner as Pete Hornbeck passed away in December and everyone spoke very highly of him.

I also have an interest in Swift canoes and impressed by the many models and options they offer.

With the pandemic last year I expect when I decide I might have to wait as many are behind in production. Looking for used ones is also limited in these higher end boats - lots of Grumman and Old Towns out there.

So I look forward to learning more about the newer designs and products out in the market from fellow paddlers as I rejoin the sport after letting them collect dust for a while.

Thanks for letting me join and I hope everyone is doing well during these stressful times. Can't wait for spring and some solitude on the water.

Welcome from other side of Adirondacks. You're right that canoe production is stretched. I've been shopping solo canoes and if I had to choose today - gun to head - I'd go with Hornbeck. New Tricks over Classic but close call.

Thanks Bill

I emailed Josh and will set up an appointment to check them out. Love the idea of a light boat!

Hope to cross paths with you on the water.

Welcome to the group, it’s nice here.
I also have a lifetime behind me in the ADK’s, paddling hiking camping skiing there forever.
I would recommend that you build your own boat, rather than spend three times as much on a production boat. A simple stitch and glue hull could hold you over until you further refine and define your individual paddling preferences.
Theres plenty of us experienced builders here to virtually mentor you should you so desire.

Upstate NY paddler in the Adirondack mountains. I have kayaks and a small solo canoe and paddled off and on for 40 years.
We have a place on Lake Champlain and for the last 15 years did the big boat thing - need one on that lake sometimes.

As I am getting older the kayaks are getting tighter and heavier so I started to look at lightweight canoes.

So I look forward to learning more about the newer designs and products out in the market from fellow paddlers as I rejoin the sport after letting them collect dust for a while.

Veloce, welcome to the board. There are a lot of very knowledgeable and helpful contributors here.

Living upstate you are in proximity to number of canoe companies that build fine, lightweight craft, and there may be more solo canoe designs available today than ever before in paddling history, enough that selecting the right one for your purposes can become daunting. My kith and kin are all from the Rouses Point area, and my grandfathers home, still in the family, is on the shores of Lake Champlain.

Owning kayaks and a small solo canoe you have a leg up one some folks looking to buy a new canoe, with an idea of what you like and dislike when it comes to (light) weight and ease of entry/exit.

If part or most of your intention is to paddle from your place on Champlain I’m sure you know that can be a big, wave scary lake at times, and a lightweight, easy access/egress decked canoe, like a Rob Roy style design, might make most sense, though less so for Adirondack pond-hopping trips.

NorthStar Rob Roy

https://northstarcanoes.com/canoe/rob-roy/

Slipstream Rob Roy

http://www.slipstreamwatercraft.com/...ob_Roy_12.html

The Savage River Loon, while not called a Rob Roy, is essentially the same concept taken to extremes.

https://www.savageriver.com/canoes/loon

There are a lot of manufacturers currently making a variety of lightweight solo open canoes, and others making Rob Roy style boats from 12 to 15 feet, including plans to make your own and even stitch & glue kits. I’m not pushing the Rob Roy design, I just find them great little solos in open water wind and moderate wave.

Thanks guys for the welcome

Stripperguy: I was just watching Jason Eke building his solo wilderness stripper - he did an awesome job and maybe someday I'll tackle that as I do woodworking - although never a boat.

Mike: thanks for the links, I'll check them out. Going to try the Hornbeck's as they are close and have a great reputation. We are in Westport on the NY side. Spent a year in Champlain as I was the CM on the new health center up there. Loved driving over to Rouse's Point and I'll be back up that way later this summer.

I don't do much out on the lake as you mentioned it can get rough. I do hug the shoreline early in the morning with the kayak but prefer the smaller flat water. We have several nearby and lots not far away.

I'm looking for the lightweight for loading on the car/truck and maybe some short portages. I need to get in shape so hopefully the paddling will help.

I have a 10' fiberglass boat stored up with the kayaks - not even sure what the brand is. It is light but tipsy so I'll pull that out soon and take a look at what I might be able to do to stabilize it. I'm thinking moving the seat lower or getting one of the units that sits on the floor to lower the center of gravity. Will update soon when I take it out of the attic. Haven't used it in a while as we were using the kayaks and 27'.

Sun is getting higher, days longer and soon ice out so we can get them wet!

Don't overlook placid boats. Longer and thus not quiite as portable as a Hornbeck for remote woods travel (I have both), but still very lightweight and much more of a longer range paddleable canoe. You alsoget a range of selectable seat heights. https://placidboatworks.com

Welcome from Michigan. I have two Swift solo's myself. Keewaydin 14 for my daughter or a friend to use and Prospector 14 for when I trip with my dog. Can't say enough good things about their boats.

Don't overlook placid boats. Longer and thus not quiite as portable as a Hornbeck for remote woods travel (I have both), but still very lightweight and much more of a longer range paddleable canoe. You alsoget a range of selectable seat heights. https://placidboatworks.com

Yknpdl: Yes! I was just checking out their site last night. Some nice boats and a short drive over from Westport so I will definately be taking a look soon. Thanks for the heads up

Welcome from Michigan. I have two Swift solo's myself. Keewaydin 14 for my daughter or a friend to use and Prospector 14 for when I trip with my dog. Can't say enough good things about their boats.

dschult2: Thanks for the welcome. Our son, dil and grandkids are in Grosse Point so we'll be heading out your way in May.

Hoping the border is open by then as I was thinking of a side trip up to their store. Been watching the youtubes and they have a wide selection of boats and options. They are pricey and not sure of availability but I really like the seat height adjustability on some of them

I thought the Prospector 14 would be my first choice as we have large Lab that I want to take with me. The Keewaydin looked good to. Not sure if they have a demo pond to try them out as that is the best way.

Lots to consider!

Take a ride to Saranac Lake or Tupper Lake or Old Forge or Saratoga Springs. All have Swift dealers and while each may not have everything you ought to be able to get an idea.of their boats. And can order one. Swift makes many cross border crossings each year with a humongous trailer.
As vaccinations in Canada are not rolling out quickly I suspect that the border will remain closed until fall.

The Swift Prospector and Keewaydin are fine canoes having tried both. I liked them a lot. The Kee a little more efficient and the Prospector a little more stable. And the dual height seat is nice. I'm leaning towards Hornbeck - New Tricks if I feel comfortable or Classic for a little more stability. The Hornbecks are significantly lighter - mid 20s vs mid 30s - and significantly less expensive - low to mid $2000s vs mid $3000s. (Carbon everything brought list price to around $5500! and saved just 2-3 pounds) But, I have not paddled a Hornbeck and am not certain I'm suited to a pack style canoe. That said, weight and price are important to me.

The Swift Prospector and Keewaydin are fine canoes having tried both. I liked them a lot. The Kee a little more efficient and the Prospector a little more stable. And the dual height seat is nice. I'm leaning towards Hornbeck - New Tricks if I feel comfortable or Classic for a little more stability. The Hornbecks are significantly lighter - mid 20s vs mid 30s - and significantly less expensive - low to mid $2000s vs mid $3000s. (Carbon everything brought list price to around $5500! and saved just 2-3 pounds) But, I have not paddled a Hornbeck and am not certain I'm suited to a pack style canoe. That said, weight and price are important to me.

Bill - agree. The Hornbeck's are less expensive and a point to consider for sure. Looking at the Swift they are running about $4K depending on options so not sure I want to go that expensive. I may be looking at 2 boats before getting done as we have a large dog that will come along with myself and my wife. Rather than a large 16'-17' I think I would rather have 2 smaller ones. One should be able to handle paddler and 100# dog and the other might be a solo that I could use when heading out alone.

I'm looking forward to setting up an appointment and trying the Hornbeck this spring which I think is the best way to determine. Also want to look at the Placid and Swift as dealers in the area should have them. All we need now is ice-out and some sun!

Take a ride to Saranac Lake or Tupper Lake or Old Forge or Saratoga Springs. All have Swift dealers and while each may not have everything you ought to be able to get an idea.of their boats. And can order one. Swift makes many cross border crossings each year with a humongous trailer.
As vaccinations in Canada are not rolling out quickly I suspect that the border will remain closed until fall.

Yes, going to MtnMan in Saratoga soon to see what they have in stock and check out ordering. I think they have demo boats there as well. I see on the website they have several left over at both the Saratoga and Old Forge stores that I might check out.

Bill - agree. The Hornbeck's are less expensive and a point to consider for sure. Looking at the Swift they are running about $4K depending on options so not sure I want to go that expensive. I may be looking at 2 boats before getting done as we have a large dog that will come along with myself and my wife. Rather than a large 16'-17' I think I would rather have 2 smaller ones. One should be able to handle paddler and 100# dog and the other might be a solo that I could use when heading out alone.

I'm looking forward to setting up an appointment and trying the Hornbeck this spring which I think is the best way to determine. Also want to look at the Placid and Swift as dealers in the area should have them. All we need now is ice-out and some sun!

Placid doesn't have a dealer network..As soon as their pond opens up go to Placid to try some out. May be not good fit with you AND the dawg but only trying will tell you.

As I think about it, I have a wood strip solo boat, a J Winters designed Kite, that I rarely use.
You’re certainly welcome to try it out to see if that sort of hull suits you. It’s a comfortable, maneuverable, seaworthy hull that’s not the fastest, but fast enough.
let me know if you’d like to try it out, I’m in the town of Colonie in the capital district.

Placid doesn't have a dealer network..As soon as their pond opens up go to Placid to try some out. May be not good fit with you AND the dawg but only trying will tell you.

Yellowcanoe - yes, plan on that in a couple weeks to see what they have. I'll contact them first. I want to look at several brands before deciding and best to try then on the water to confirm. Thx

Welcome from the Cooperstown area. If you're ever interested in paddling the upper sections of the Susquehanna River, let me know. I'd be happy to show you around in your new canoe.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Hey Snapper - thanks for the offer. Might just have to take you up on that later in the year!

Back