• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

25oz ww paddle....

Reaction score
So here is something I've been working on and offer a few years lol, an hollow shaft ww canoe paddle. This is more of a try than a production thing, like a prototype hahaha... I was hopping for a bit stiffer shaft, but it is what it is... I have 2 others to finish with different shaft size that might be a bit different!!

The shaft constructions is birds mouth lamination, made out of sitka spruce, the blade is a mixte of red cedar and sitka spruce, Dynel cord for the edging and 2.5 layers of biaxial S-glass on both faces! Dynel sleeve for the lower half of the shaft....

My wife is teaching this weekend and have the paddle with her for a trial run. It is a bit longer than she likes it, but just for trial it should be alright!!

Attachments

• photo7065.jpg
    photo7065.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo7066.jpg
    photo7066.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 1
My wife is teaching this weekend and have the paddle with her for a trial run. It is a bit longer than she likes it, but just for trial it should be alright!!

Sure, send the missus out with experimental shafts.

I won’t even get into the “longer than she likes” but not as stiff innuendo.

How did you make the transition from birdsmoutj to the flat blade? Did you leave a plug on the blade and then insert the "plug" into the hollow shaft?

(I'm trying not to laugh too hard at Mike's reply)

How did you make the transition from birdsmoutj to the flat blade? Did you leave a plug on the blade and then insert the "plug" into the hollow shaft?

(I'm trying not to laugh too hard at Mike's reply)

As for the connection of the shaft(hollow) to the blade, there is a 6-7" scarf joint, and the blade part has a tenon in the center of the scarf joint. a bit time consuming, but make for a real tough joint... The problem I think is in between the T grip and where the Dynel sleeve end on the shaft, this part seems to see a lot of stress since it is the only non reinforced bit!

What would do the tric, would be to replace the Dynel sleeve by a full length carbon fibre one and done! It would be lighter yet cause the dynel really like epoxy....

Sure, send the missus out with experimental shafts.

I won’t even get into the “longer than she likes” but not as stiff innuendo.

As for Mike's reply, I thought I'd reply to that lol... But look like it never made the cut...

I'm still laughing at it!! I didn't have a clue of what I wrote could be turned so easily into that.... Lost in translation lol

She can overcome those deficiencies with correction strokes.
That's as far as I'm taking this.

I remember this bird's mouth lam suggestion awhile back, interesting to see it finished. I guess there's a limit to the shaft circumference; too small and the biting lam edges become insignificant? Are the glued lam constructs really stronger than a solid shaft?

Last edited:
She can overcome those deficiencies with correction strokes.
That's as far as I'm taking this.

I remember this bird's mouth lam suggestion awhile back, interesting to see it finished. I guess there's a limit to the shaft circumference; too small and the biting lam edges become insignificant? Are the glued lam constructs really stronger than a solid shaft?

hahaha...

As for the paddle shaft, I think the glue lam are/can be stronger if done properly or can be a problem if not done properly... I have other crazy ideas to try...

The hollow core with strength idea reminds me of bamboo. Light and strong.
Let us know how it works out.

Last edited:
Back