• Happy National Bean Counter Day! 🫘🔢🧮

18' Chestnut Cruiser Leader is now a 16' Cruiser Kruger

karin made one for her Mattawa and insulated it with foam....we call it the Canooler. Works pretty good if you fill it with frozen milk jugs. We have not used it in years though.....kind of offends our senses when we are in tripping light mode.

So 3 years later I'm getting back to this canoe. I got in a little funk for a while but that's all behind me now and I'm back in the shop. I finished up the planking, sanded the inside/outside of the hull and applied the second coat of varnish to the interior yesterday. I have the shop's wood stove roaring but it's taking it's sweet time to dry. I have the #10 canvas stretched in the barn and will drop the canoe in as soon a it's dry.

DSC01326.JPG

38D3CEC0-E0A3-4EAF-B984-F6879C1D5CEC.jpegApplied 2 coats of Interlux Pre Kote primer to the new canvas and a coat of mixed primer/Interlux paint, the final color should be close to wha it is now.
The white 14’ Fox (not a Chestnut factory Fox but a new canoe off the Fox lines) has a new lightweight #12 canvas and 2 coats of Pre Kote primer.

In the lake country, I can see the attraction of smaller, lighter boats. We don't portage hardly at all on big western rivers. Sometimes there is lining.
I have a Guide 18 and really like the boat. Recently I saw a Guide 20 and was tempted to go look at it even though it is several hundred miles away.

I anxiously await a paddle report Robin. My Cruiser (Kruger) has made it from Yellow Knife to Wakefield , and now sits in S.St Marie waiting for me as I wait for the borders to reopen. It is killing me. I really want to get your thoughts on how this paddles compared to your Pal.

She sure looks like a slender, canoe with a more rounded hull, I bet it is very efficient and a bit more tender than the Pal - likely faster too.

Sure is a nice looking canoe Robin. You really do nice work.

Bob.

Today I finished the canoe, been a long time, some of life’s “stuff” got in the way but it’s done. Well not completely, it needs another coat of paint and then the stem bands, too late to paint now so it will wait till spring.
I want to take it up north here in Maine soon loaded with my wall tent, wood stove, wannigan...or maybe just to a drive in campsite and enjoy, who knows.
Big shout out to Sweeper!
Thank You.

2D004FF9-F4EC-4724-BF7B-64E0CCAEB118.jpeg
6E2D537A-F168-489A-AF81-5431F43AF024.jpeg

Looks great so far. Noticed your new canoe wall is reversed, how’s that working for you?
PS. Took the Chum up to the ADK last weekend oh boy was it windy on Eagle Lake. Best wishes.

Hi Coldfeet,

Thanks, the shop is coming along, I'm thinking of going with a used pellet stove to heat it, we have two of them in the house and they heat well so all I have to do is get permission from herself. Easy peasy...:(
Good on you to get up to the ADK with the Chum, hope all is well.
I'm headed up to North Maine Woods Sunday for a few days with the wall tent and Cruiser, all packed already, even loaded the canoe to see how it fits. HaHa, lovin' the low profile.

IMG_1836.jpg

Dont feel bad about the delays Robin...my Langford has been four years so far and just when I thought I had it aced...life got in the way again.

Thanks for sharing. It really turned out beautifully.

Thanks for your generosity, Kevin. I wish it didn't take so long but it's a great canoe non the less, it's like it was made to fit my wall tent outfit, big plans for that canoe if they open the border this year.

Quite the accomplishment, shortening this canoe! Having seen the "breakup" of the original canoe when you turned her over in your driveway, it's all the more impressive. Boy, that final scene in your video cruising past the shoreline.... that says it all. Well done.

Back