• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

18' Chestnut Cruiser Leader is now a 16' Cruiser Kruger

Reaction score
Wow, the temps here in the northeast US hit almost 70 F. so I jumped on this canoe that I was gifted by a very generous friend.

It was an 18' Chestnut Cruiser, called a "Leader" back in the day. I can't lift an 18'er anymore, so I decided to remove 2 feet from the center and make it a 16' Cruiser (Kruger). Much to my surprise, it came out pretty good. It needed new inwales anyway, so this was a perfect time to make the move. I have been thinking a lot about how to do this and was really apprehensive about cutting up an original Chestnut and making something of a knockoff. I always wanted a 16' Chestnut Prospector but time is running out so this will be my close second.
It actually is only 32"s wide with some great Prospector ends, I will use it now for my canoe in deer hunts with the canvas tent/wood stove. I'm hoping it will be ready for an early ice out spring trip in April.

temporary inwales clamped in to hold it together for the move up on saw horses

I left the old plank to over lap and then trimmed and tacked it to hold the two halves of the canoe together

the bow stem is seriously curved, it really shook me up when I was trying to line up the two sections of the shortened canoe.It will need to be replaced after the new inwales are 3/4 installed. I have never done a stem replacement.

I like the high ends, I removed some original rocker as I only do flatwater anymore so I'm pretty happy with the results. Tomorrow I'll work on the inwales

Moose and Fella like it.

Last edited:
2 halves usually become $1200 bookshelves.

Nice work, definitely a daunting task. All you would need now is our Prospector Y-Stern.

You're a courageous man, Robin. I admire that. I'd be proud to deer hunt out of that boat.

Yes yes yes. I find 18 foot canoes to be a bit unwieldy. I can see where a 16 would be good for you with the extra cold weather loadout of gear. Like karin said, a 16 foot Y stern would kick it up a notch for you at some point. I do like the look of your new project though. People extend boats all the time, why cant you shorten one.

As for the stem,it's not too difficult. OR you could make that the stern, by flipping it around and using the front seat as the back solo style like all us cretins do up here.

You have way too much time on your hands my friend.

Christy

Isn't symmetry sweet? And that narrowish beam compliments the overall proportions perfectly.
I had to keep switching back and forth, back and forth, to confirm they're the same canoe.
Well, almost the same canoe, except now it's better.
Nice work.

2 halves usually become $1200 bookshelves.

Nice work, definitely a daunting task. All you would need now is our Prospector Y-Stern.

Yes I got the canoe apart and wondered if that would end up being their fate. Two 8 ft bookshevles would sell fast, but that's even more sacrilegious than altering an original Chestnut.

I think I'm a square stern guy,

DSC01313_zpsc8de2b1b.jpg

Wow, that's an ambitious plan, can't wait to see the finished results. That square stern sure would look nice puttering up and down Marshall lake.

Haha, I'm not planning on making a sq stern, just that I prefer the square over the Y stern.

Yea, Jig saws can make a lot of damage.

Totally blown away by the skills consistently shown on this site. You all make it look so easy. There's no way I'd have the confidence to take on this particular project. Nice job Robin! Can't wait to see the finished result.

Until next time...be well.

snapper

How many of these square sterns come through Schuyler's for restoring? Are they a rarity out there?

I have seen one in the shop, there are a couple out back on the racks last time I looked around.

Here's one (on the right)he has a form for.It requires the canvas to be taken to a seamstress to make a wide enough canvas to fit the hull. He calls it a canoe, but most folks who build it use small kickers or oars.

I never see any sq sterns on the water here, but I bet there's a few hanging in camps around the local lakes. In Maine, they are popular.

hxE7xJuInpjEDoVyLePUTTofJ-EtPZb08M_zB73hi_oeV-iR6TI506_mq0bARt6r12qtVjLVBlgKn_e4qqmk7U3KPjU1_LXkLOVnvfngPbvoTZiWYgIpwVs7cy930mI6lYNVn54m0GUAeZg8AqoeiasOUHpxY2VWVV2t2E8oxzVq0NFD1cSqTbi-cPymUMyZYlkqSzQBv1O0eYuhEx_zlReqUJh4tVZzOLUDr3gs8scAZwzQS2iGCnSHubsq0pKzEB0R6zYiRWtzs-de5D9BTA0jnm2hFySBluygP_G_Z8donUC6FSyK-29EClLrSrcwBLWxDMavTgU_UUpNs1b8VClsIGzJ4SkQHLTGlsDTpxOcGsQZkrsF3PDij2Dk0ZOwU8Am1BaSGchh-ggoX4tQphsm78ML60YISD6mZ99r1dy-7Rin9wtWnVs_ZnAC2zSAM2VL3VBCraVnFAi3kHXDGbA0Ze-I2sNoIIclIWY3spQlkGXkN0MzeTEq9QOALERA8ZZvVE4fxWjWhDcoTFfAJjB-rwf7IYref3hjBXfw-v1-5xbOUb7nm0_PVNNbJnmXHO4scShgDDzkZPQTb98iaTiE8JEvPVHWRW_ps5nV6FNr09_qNVrB=w640-h480-no

Thanks Robin.
I love those square and Y sterns. Speaking of wooden boats, I got to internet daydreaming the other day. Looked and found a nice little island with a couple cabins for sale. I'm gonna buy it just as soon as I win the lottery. The local marina has a 20 foot wooden beauty that'll look sweet drawn up to that dock. Only $150,000 and she's mine. Better buy two lottery tickets.
But a classic square stern would fit right in on any quiet lake IMO.

BTW Robin, I thought this was a family friendly forum? You dropped that 4- letter swear word in there. (oars) lol

Got the rest of the planking finished up today, the spot where the two halves joined are all finished and I'm happy with the results.Next, part of installing new inwales requires removing the planking around the top of the canoe attached to the old inwales so you have plenty of room for the new inwales. I saved the planking where possible.

I then used a chisel to separate the old inwales from the ribs.

I left the hull this way. My mentor Schuyler Thomson says "Those ribs have been like that for 50 years, they won't go anywhere without the inwales overnight", so I left it like this tonight.

Bravery is doing something others would step back away from. You're a Brave one Robin !
It looks great! You will have a special bond with this one !
I'd love to get in on a canvas filling session.
Need to find someone locally, I can plague !

Jim

Back