• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

17' Chestnut Prospector

This may be my favorite hull design of all the boats I have paddled. Both composite and wood/canvas. And I have paddled and owned most of the top contenders over the years. You can't go wrong here. Good luck and enjoy.

That looks outstanding.

I know the feeling of finding the correct 'sell'. A couple of weeks ago my wife asked what my next project would be... meaning canoe project. Last Sunday I spent 13 hours in my truck picking up a 'project'. It's a (claimed) pre-fire Chestnut Bob Special which needs "a little work"- so far I count 12 ribs, 40' of planking, 10 rib tips, both inwales and outwales, 2 stem repairs, 2 seats rebuilt & caned, canvas....- so yeah, a little work! Pictures to follow of the project

Last edited:
It looks like a nice boat, is it ready to paddle?
According to the seller, yes, pristine, but we'll see. I was late to the sale, but the previous buyer from the mid-west backed out.
This may be my favorite hull design of all the boats I have paddled. Both composite and wood/canvas. And I have paddled and owned most of the top contenders over the years. You can't go wrong here. Good luck and enjoy.
Thanks, My wood canvas canoe mentor says the 17' Prospector was the best canoe ever made, he was an experienced canoe tripper, down river national champ, and restored over 1500 canoes. I'm hoping this works out.

Well, I ended up getting the canoe, and it’s in such great shape even my wife liked it. It’s a 1970’s vintage, it has at least one splice on an inwale and both gunnels, but they are solid. Using less than perfect wood at the end of the Chestnut Canoe Company era was pretty much sop. While the varnish could use some attention, the paint and canvas as like new. The bottom line, I have seen a lot of Chestnuts and for today’s prices $1650 is a pretty good deal.

55BA3300-62D9-486D-91AC-D8AF39BAFAE4.jpegB29CBED8-FF34-45F0-9C4E-0B8116A76B6F.jpeg95165EA4-C14F-40FD-82E8-B8DCB2DFCD91.jpeg2897AA3B-3625-45BA-881E-AB764298A2A0.jpeg6FC6D936-54F6-4E05-B660-CFB01DF3F912.jpeg

That looks outstanding.

I know the feeling of finding the correct 'sell'. A couple of weeks my wife asked what my next project would be... meaning canoe project. Last Sunday I spent 13 hours in my truck picking up a 'project'. It's a (claimed) pre-fire Chestnut Bob Special which needs "a little work"- so far I count 12 ribs, 40' of planking, 10 rib tips, both inwales and outwales, 2 stem repairs, 2 seats rebuilt & caned, canvas....- so yeah, a little work! Pictures to follow of the project
Sounds like a real life Ship of Theseus problem!

Super nice! Wondering about the carrying yoke, was it an add on? Every chestnut I carried had a straight thwart.

When I bring new guns home, my wife never knows, because she has no idea what I already own. Works for canoes too!

love the slatted seats... You must have been able to lift it somehow...
The guy I bought it from and a neighborhood kid got it on my truck racks. At home, I slid it off the back with one end on the ground and got it on my shoulders. I was able to carry it easily on level ground but with damaged hamstrings, uphill would be impossible. I was able to gently lay it down on the grass. Definitely need to plan ahead with this boat.
Super nice! Wondering about the carrying yoke, was it an add on? Every chestnut I carried had a straight thwart.

When I bring new guns home, my wife never knows, because she has no idea what I already own. Works for canoes too!
I don't know where that came from, but it's gonna go. Looks like something for oxen, it's at least 2 1/2" thick. I like a stock thwart, with my diy pads.
I never knew Prospectors came with a keel. Did they all?
I didn't either, I assume it was a special order or added with the new canvas. I watched this canoe on Marketplace for a year and always thought if they dropped the price I would hold my nose regarding that keel and buy it. I don't know if I'll ever restore this canoe but if I do, the keel stays off.

I believe all Prospectors were fitted with keels. Mine has one, but is much wider and flatter than this one. The keel here looks like the one on my Bob's special. I was watching this canoe for a while as well. Good pick up.

I believe some Chestnuts did come with a carry yoke like this from the factory. Kettle River canoes makes reproduction yokes that look similar to this.

Robin, I may be interest in that yoke if you have no use for it. Thanks!

Back