• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Steam Bending with Bag

Reaction score
I know I've posted about this before but this time I actually did it. Using the 4 mil bag system I was finally able to get the wood to bend to the cowling the Rob Roy, a nasty up sweep and twist at the bow. It's been a painful process with many unsuccessful attempts. I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer but I am stubborn so this was going to happen one way or the other.

On the advice of some here on this board I ended up using the 4 mil plastic sleeve method of steaming wood while on the boat. Here's the link:

http://www.core77.com/posts/35838/A-...-a-Plastic-Bag

Over the course of the summer I collected all the materials I needed. In the end I had to purchase a propane heater and 1500' of 4 mil sleeve (YES 1500') I did a test run with some left over ash and it turned out well so I had some hopes that what I had planned would work.

So here's what I did. I bought some poplar that I thought would bend easier on that nasty up sweep and bend in, cut it to 1/2" for the out wales and 5/8" for the inners. I chose poplar as it is considered a hardwood of types and thought it would bend easier then ash. It's a cowling so it's not a support system like a canoe. I set up my steaming system, a hogde pode of old garden hoses, ancient gas can, string, Gorrilla tape and several cans of liquid courage and by Golly it worked. In the meantime I bought some Talic Seahorse canoe/kayak stands which I really like. No more slamming my knee into a sawhorse, they fit nicely under the boat and weigh next to nothing.

I had to cut another piece of hose to reach the boat from the front of the canoe shed and then jury rigged it be level to the boat with a tip back to let the water drain out. Worked slick except for when the clamp let loose and the whole dang thing fell off. Word of experience, where thick gloves, steam is hot!!! Got it back on with an extra clamp to hold it place and sat back to watch water boil. After a half an hour the wood was bending nicely but I let it go for some more due to that damnable sweep at the bow. At the hour mark I decided to see how the bow end would bend, again nicely but somehow the plastic sleeve split. I had already got the clamps ready and quickly put them on. I ended up putting 24 clamps on as this is such a short run, 6'2". The new gunwale bent in as sweet as sweet can be.

Since I couldn't do the inner gunwale on the inside as far as steaming goes I used the outside and will have to transfer it later. Am hoping the bend will work. Now I have to steam three more pieces but from learning from my mistakes it will get easier. I added some pictures in no particular order of the set up.

I have two questions that maybe someone can answer. Now that I have one gunwale clamped on, the inner, how long should I wait before removing it and hoping the memory holds enough to move it to its place as the inwale? Question two, anyone need some 4 mil tube/sleeve? I have 1400+ feet of it! If you need some PM me. Easier to cut off what you need to mail it rather then buy FIFTEEN HUNDRED FEET! ;-)

Here's a YouTube video of the set up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2MMT...ature=youtu.be

Some days I feel like Red Green!

dougd

Not sure why the pics turned out sideways, not the way they were taken.

Attachments

• photo5467.jpg
    photo5467.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 3
  • photo5468.jpg
    photo5468.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 3
  • photo5469.jpg
    photo5469.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 3
  • photo5470.jpg
    photo5470.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 3
  • photo5471.jpg
    photo5471.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 3
  • photo5472.jpg
    photo5472.jpg
    175.6 KB · Views: 4
  • photo5473.jpg
    photo5473.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 4
  • photo5474.jpg
    photo5474.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 4
  • photo5475.jpg
    photo5475.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
In the end I had to purchase a propane heater and 1500' of 4 mil sleeve (YES 1500')

Question two, anyone need some 4 mil tube/sleeve? I have 1400+ feet of it! If you need some PM me. Easier to cut off what you need to mail it rather then buy FIFTEEN HUNDRED FEET! ;-)

1400 feet divided by say 10 feet of plastic sleeve per wale….are you sure you want to give that stuff away? You never know when you might want to steam another 35 or 40 Rob Roy gunwales.

That is a generous offer Doug. Folks who do traditional steam box bending and already have a steamer can and hose could give the steam-in-bag method a try without buying $60 worth of plastic sleeving.

Hey, congratulations Doug! I was just wondering how the Rob Roy was doing the other day. Good for you to stick with it and try a new method. Looks like it worked well. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Other than the tubing probably being easier to work with and less cobbled up is there a reason you couldn't just get a sheet of 4 or 6mil plastic drop cloth, cut it 12" wide, drape it over the gunwale, and clamp the bottom edge shut to make a bag?

Alan

Thanks Alan, I hadn't thought of using a drop cloth. Sometimes when I'm this far into a project I get tunnel vision plain and simple. The plastic sleeve works great though and heck, I have a lot of it to play with. Still learning this but it's the fartherest I've gotten to date. It is looking very promising. Only three more steaming sessions to go.

Side one of the gunwale rebuild is done, now on to the other side. I'm very happy with the way this project is turning out and it'll look like new when I'm done. Not doing any of this before I'm pretty pleased with how well it all works. I'm actually liking steam bending with the new technique.

Here's the link to the latest write up, look for Nov 2 at the bottom if ya care to read it:

http://scooter-bangortoportland.blogspot.com/2016/06/the-satan-project.html

dougd

Very nice Doug. I think I'll try out the bag method on my next project. What do you plan to do for filling that gap at the front? Just a simple plate on top?

Mark

I'm thinking I'll fill the gap with a piece of wood G-Flexed in, sand the tip round and then top plate it. The deck will be larger then the original to hide the bolts. Still mulling it over though. If you need some of the bag stuff PM me and I can send you some, still have over 1400' of the stuff!

Last edited:
More on the steaming project and more of the Red Green setup. I don't how you others make it look so organized, nothing seems to work that well for me but heck I got it done. Write up is the same:

Scroll down to 11/8 if interested in reading it. Sadly I only have one more gunwale to do and then no more steaming, I kind of like doing this!

dougd

dogbrain, package is being sent out tomorrow. Will send a PM.

Dang, Doug, lookin' good! Now that you've got this figured out you'll have to go into business. You can be the go-to guy for PITA gunwale installations.

More on the steaming project and more of the Red Green setup. I don't how you others make it look so organized, nothing seems to work that well for me but heck I got it done.

I loved your last steam hose setup. Those people who keep everything tidy and organized with everything they need laid out before starting a project and then put it all away as soon as they're done make me sick. It's much more interesting to just dive into a project not quite knowing how you're going to finish it and root around in the middle of it looking for that one piece you need with sticky epoxy hands.

Alan

"Sadly I only have one more gunwale to do and then no more steaming, I kind of like doing this!"

Time to build wood canvas!

Cheers,

Fitz

Dang, Doug, lookin' good!
You can be the go-to guy for PITA gunwale installations.

I have followed Doug’s travails with this regunwaling closer than most, and have been responsible for suggesting some possibilities that didn’t work. As those suggestions failed to pan out I have continued to offer him a case of Bud Light, a pack of Pall Malls and $100 for the boat. I think he was close to taking me up on that offer at one point.

The Rob Roy “gunwale” is more of a wood cockpit coming than a canoe gunwale. The “gunwale” pieces are barely over 6 feet long, but they have a very complex bend, upwards & inwards & angled, all in the last 2 feet.

I recall Charlie Wilson saying that Bell disliked building the Rob Roy because “it took an extra day”.

I’d love to hear more about that “extra day”. Not that I’m counting, but I think Doug has been at it for 10 months now.

If I ever need something steam bent I’m going to Penacook NH. I know a guy with 1400 feet of plastic sheeting.

Today I cut and moved the in wale into place. It fought with a little which surprised me a little. Going to steam the last gunwale this weekend and get it into place. Still a lot of steps until completion but am finally enjoying working on this demon hull!

Alan, that is my MO, basically cob stuff together to make it work. Looks like a nightmare but I got it figured out in my pea brain! ;-) And yeah I'm always rootin' around looking for that one thing I need...Ummm, where the heck did I put that????

dougd

And yeah I'm always rootin' around looking for that one thing I need...Ummm, where the heck did I put that????

Doug, Xerox boxes and box tops make great Sharpie marked shop supply organizers.

You know you are welcome at my door anytime.

OK, McCrea, the snake picture is just a tad too much for this herpetophobiaist! If you want to get hit with a shovel in the head ask my old high school buddy about that after chasing me with a snake, true story!

Yesterday saw the last gunwale for the Rob Roy steamed, bent and clamped into place. By the end of the week it will be screwed and bolted into place for a while. Cold weather and yet another back injury is going to keep me from working too much on it although a deck and thwart build could be in the works. Geez, Alan builds a whole freaking canoe while I'm only managing a few gunwale bends! Makes me want to take up knitting or something and Alan would still build a boat faster then I could knit a scarf! Regardless, it's been a good time learning how to do this and I don't regret a minute of it.

dougd

Alan is darning the same as sewing? I got some socks....! More work done on the gunwales for the Rob Roy. Clamp free, screwed and bolted into the cowling but more work to be done. The project that keeps haunting ya!

Here's the write up, scroll down to 11/19.

Still have a lot of detail work to do, deck and thwart to be made. Even though this boat has been a chore to get back to where I want it it's been worth it. Been fun to keep the ol' gray matter spinning.

dougd

Back