Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot Tent Sleeping with a Cot or on the Ground?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frontier surplus is selling surplus Cdn military down sleeping bags for a reasonable price. I have one and you cant beat it. Bulky but really gets the job done. Two piece Woods down bag,with a cloth liner, one fits inside the other. If you want to be warm, this is a good start. $170. They also sell just the single pieces for $70.

http://frontierfirearms.ca/

Christine

Comment

Make sure you also get the hood which goes with it.
      Real men travel by canoe

Comment

Lots of good info, thanks! I do have a 0F down bag and a MSS sleeping system so should be good to get started.

Comment

If we are in spring or fall car camp, then a cot is almost a given now, especially if the wife is travelling for all or part of the trip. Any travel by sled for us, the cot gets left behind (bulk, weight) and the sleep system for a typical 0F night is two CCF mats side by side, a poncho liner spread out over the top, 3" thermarest, then a Ridgerest pad on top...then the bag (we don't burn the stove after bedtime and sometimes I just end up in my own tipi shelter for privacy, noise, dogs, pee breaks, etc).

I would rather look forward to the hopefully comfy retreat of my shelter than dread the long chill of the nightime sleep. Your bag/sleeping system should always be good to at least -10 degrees less than your anticipated low temps. We typically add fleece or insulated pants, liner jacket, heavy balaclava, heat pacs...better to toss them from the bag at 3am than to wake up and shiver.

A really high end sleeping bag in severe conditions is much more than a luxury, giving you peace of mind for the what ifs, changing conditions, etc. I aspire to one, but so far it hasn't happened for me. The wife indicates, probably never...

(however) The initial wave of rejuvenating heat from your stove upon waking is reward far beyond the usual/normal when you are cold camping - it is life changing, career extending.... Having a little $10 digital thermometer in camp (and pics to prove it) can be alot of fun and bragging rights later on.

Comment

If I can carry it I always prefer a cot.
            -it's warmer off the floor
            -you can level it by shimming the legs
            -you can store stuff underneath
            -you have a siting place in your tent.
            -always use insulation under you-ensolite or self inflating pad

Comment

GreenFrog, I have an older Snowtrekker 8 x 12 Exp Crew tent that I now use as my "solo" tent. Here is a link to a video of it showing the interior space with 1 cot. You can easily fit another cot on the opposite long wall. Maybe even a third cot, lengthwise, in the middle but I would suspect that all the cots would be touching each other. I've easily slept 3 comfortably on the ground before and below is a pic of the set up for two on the ground (2 Syn Mat 7 air mattresses) with ample room on the outside walls for gear. The bottom left corner of the photo is the stove area (pic below) and the bottom right side is the prep/chef area (pic below). This might give you more of an idea of interior size and room you might need in your tent decision. In my opinion and for what you are describing how you intend to use it I'd go for the 9 x 11.5.

https://youtu.be/KeV1I-a8mOY?t=113

Last edited by Bioguide; 11-28-2016, 05:54 PM.
              My YouTube channel

Comment

Thanks Bioguide, that is very helpful.
                What is the reflective pad? A heat shield designed for a car window?
                After having it for awhile, are you glad that you put in the vinyl velcro door?
                Good luck hunting this weekend!

Comment

Originally posted by GreenFrog View Post
                  Thanks Bioguide, that is very helpful.
                  What is the reflective pad? A heat shield designed for a car window?
                  After having it for awhile, are you glad that you put in the vinyl velcro door?
                  Good luck hunting this weekend!
                  It is http://thermasleeper.com/shop and works well when sleeping to keep the cold that seeps in the back wall off your head although I don't use it much anymore. I've gone to wearing my Buff.

It's an entirely different and open experience using the vinyl door. A must have in my opinion. This was my view in the mornings, while preparing coffee/breakfast (standing room only), before the door:

This is the view with the vinyl door (sitting in a lounge position):

Last edited by Bioguide; 11-28-2016, 06:49 PM.
                  My YouTube channel

Comment

GreenFrog - To your original question about cots vs. sleeping on the ground. I think part of your decision will hinge on how are you planning on getting your gear into the backcountry. If all you have is a pulk, there's just not as much room for gear. Now, if you can use a 10' toboggan, you have a more options as to what you can carry. For myself, I still use a pulk most of the time but even if I move up to a toboggan, I really don't like cots (have never found one to be comfortable) so I'll stick with sleeping on the ground. With all my previous years of cold camping, including nights down into the -30 F in the Catskills, I've figured out how to stay comfortable so I'll stick with that. As for having a place to sit, my old Therma-Rest chair kit allows me to have a power recliner right there in the woods so I can sit close to the stove if need be.

That's all for now. Take care, best of luck in dialing your system and until next time...be well.

snapper

Comment

A cot's like a hammock... you need some sort of insulation under you. If I had the room to take a hot tent and cot, I'd find a way to fit two closed cell foam pads, or one and an air mattress, in there.
                      Take a course in good water and air; and in the eternal youth of Nature you may renew your own. Go quietly, alone; no harm will befall you. John Muir

Comment

Just got back from the Winter camp Out shake out at Robin's. I wanted to use the cot so I got this cargo net at home Depot to secure a sleeping bag underneath. I used one down bag from the Canadian Military Sleep System, it held the entire bag in contact with the bottom of the cot with minimal compression of the down.
                        It was just around freezing the first night and I was comfortable with no cold feeling underneath. Sleeping inside the other bag of the system, I was just comfortable. In the middle of the night I woke up and decided to add a second down bag to the mix, I was then really warm.
                        The second night was several degrees below freezing, I was inside the two bags and was very comfortably warm. I woke up to see the stars at 5am and when I went back to the tent, I decided to use the Exped Mattress on top of the cot. All I can sat is WOW, this setup is most comfortable. I cannot wait to try it in single digits this winter. Pictures of the cot to follow sometime soon. I would certainly find room for at least one cot, the storage underneath is handy and you have a nice bench for 3 or 4 to sit.
                        Visit The Home Depot to buy Keeper ZipNet Camo Adjustable Cargo Net 3141
                        Last edited by bcelect; 12-04-2016, 09:58 PM.
                        Real men travel by canoe

Comment

Originally posted by bcelect View Post
                          I decided to use the Exped Mattress on top of the cot. All I can sat is WOW, this setup is most comfortable. I cannot wait to try it in single digits this winter. Pictures of the cot to follow sometime soon. I would certainly find room for at least one cot, the storage underneath is handy and you have a nice bench for 3 or 4 to sit.
                          That sounds like my exact set up - and your experience is why I use it!!

When using the cot in sofa mode, I slide my exped off and roll up the sleeping bag or the insulation gets crushed. Use a Closed cell pad or reflectix for the guests!

Comment

As I have gotten older I have started to like cots. I have a big heavy one for long truck trips, and a small collapsable one that weighs under 2 pounds for canoe trips.
                            Air circulated underneath, so you need a really good insulating pad underneath your sleeping bag. Pay attention to R values. We have temp below freezing all year in the mountains.
                            Add an ensolite pad on top of your backpacking pad for cold conditions.

I have used a wall tent with a stove for about 40 years. I have lived in it for a month at a time running tree planting crews. When it snowed, it was the popular place to be.
                            Just remember that there is nothing warmer than a tent with the stove going, and nothing colder than a tent when the stove is cold.
                            Forester

Comment

Originally posted by ppine View Post
                              and a small collapsable one that weighs under 2 pounds for canoe trips.
                              Where did you get it? Most of the collapsable cots I've looked at are +8#'s.
                              ...better to be up the creek without a paddle than not be on the water at all!!!

Comment

Market place on Facebook has a bunch of used cots.

Comment

Working...
                                X