• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Your canoe trip plans, hopes, dreams for 2022

They are some of my very favorite day paddling areas, especially ones that are like flooded forests, where you can slalom around through the trees.

View attachment 129898

Looks like fun!! I attended an archery shoot in Calvary GA this past Saturday. I happened to have the Encounter strapped to the roof rack and thought real hard about taking a detour into the flood plain of the Ochlockonee River to paddle amongst the flooded trees, but there is no cell service there and that wasn’t part of the plan when I left my wife for the day. I thought better of it and just headed home.

Lower Madawaska warm up end of April.

Nettogami River repeat end of May.

And I’ve got some time off end of August, no plan yet.

A few shorter canoe trips here and there throughout the paddling season.

A post ice out pre bug in mid-May weekender. Wish us luck. 3 out of 5 foolhardy fellows have signed on. What could possibly go wrong?
September is calling. She is always her sirens song singing. I'll see if I listen this year. Always a splendid month to go tripping.

As I said on another thread I’m all in on a trip to the BWCA in September. Got our permits on Wednesday entry point #26 I think at Wood Lake. Any route suggestions? Just three of us, high school friends that hadn’t paddled together in 50 years. What could go wrong? All experienced outdoor people just haven’t done a trip since.
Jim
Side note, the number of allotted permits are down from last year and they are going fast if you are thinking of a trip.

don't push too hard! my weight limit for close to a year was only 20lbs so I wouldn't pull the wires and glue holding my sternum together, and so I could let my chest muscles heal. I, found that trips that year were pretty well all flatwater, short, (distance not time) and portage- free, I also added a half dozen cold packs for my chest muscles and sternum and switched to an ottertail for 95% of my paddling because most of my other paddles were high-volume ones that put too much strain on my chest.
Here's to hoping your convalescence period is short and pain free...
Sorry, just saw your post. Surgery and recovery went well, thank you. First trip was in July for 7 days - lake, no carries other than the put-in/take-out. After that, 5 more trips (no significant carries), all were in the ADKs. Fortunately, no problems with anything. In October, my cardiologist cleared me to do anything I wanted, including backpacking. Since I'm retired, next season I plan to start canoe trips after ice-out and get more trips in, some with longer carries (I'll use the Hornbeck for them). I'm trying to do more conditioning during the off-season. Besides the gym where I do the treadmill, circuit and rowing machine, I've been doing some AARP weight training and Tai Chi classes. I just got the book, Power to the Paddle to help with conditioning. Thanks again.

Swamp canoeing is very intriguing, but it makes for some difficult camping.
Everything is wet, the ground is muddy, the water can come up at any time and the country is full of reptiles and insects.
That's how I remember canoeing in Maryland as a kid. Snakes were hanging in the trees and shrubs and swimming in the water.
We got rained on all the time. Now I live in Nevada.

I will be having open heart surgery next month or February at the latest. I am hoping the surgery goes well, I have a quick, full recovery so I can get back to canoe camping in the Adirondacks as soon as possible. I plan to retire in June and want to take many more extended trips than I have been able to while working.
Will be thinking of you… you got this!

Well, I guess my 2022 paddling season is officially over - the Sawyer Autumn Mist is in the shop until May and the Hornbeck has been cleaned, protected, oiled and stored. The Hornbeck will probably be the first one back in the water; I'll be picking up the Sawyer in early May on the way up to the ADKs.

Attachments

• 20221128_123606.jpg
    20221128_123606.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20221128_123632.jpg
    20221128_123632.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20221128_123757.jpg
    20221128_123757.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Just finished my last serious white water trip. At 73, there is little left to prove. I might try some guided raft trips and let someone else do most of the work. I would like to do a flat water trip on Roosevelt Lake, WA behind Grand Coullee Dam. The Lake is 182 miles long.

Back