• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Yoke Pad - Aluminum Canoe

G

I have an older Alumacraft canoe and need to buy new yoak pads. I cannot find ones that will fit my canoe as the bolts are 2.75 inches apart and at an angle; all I can find are 3.5 inches and straight. Does anyone know of a source or will I need to make a pair?

Thanks.

Hi Mike and Greetings!

If you have the craft to build them yourself, that's the way I'd go. Anything that is store bought is only at best an approximation, you however are of some specific dimensions. Yokes are an area where test, adjust and fit can pay you back with a whole lot less pain. Not pleasure mind, but less pain.

Spend a little time looking at all the various yoke configurations; you may find some way making them that works better that what ever the lash up you had in the past.

Best Wishes, Rob

Here's some instructions I found on the net. I have 2 sets of home made yokes and they work well. Hope this helps

Step 1 - You need the following materials

• (2) 6 3/4" pieces of 2x4
  • (2) 1/4-inch 3 1/2" carriage bolts with wing nuts
  • (2) 1/4-inch wing nuts
  • (2) 3 3/4 inch long pieces of 1-inch wide 1/8" bar stock
  • (2) pieces of 14" x 20" vinyl
  • (2) pieces of 25" x 2" vinyl
  • Staple gun & staples
  • Scrap upholstery foam for padding
  • 3/16 Drill and drill bit
Step 2 - Drill 2 holes 2 1/8" apart on blocks. Insert carriage bolts and pound them in firmly. The friction alone will secure the bolts.
portpadsGIF2.GIF

Step 3 - Place rolled up upholstery foam on top. Use plenty for good padding. Secure with vinyl by stapling to the bottom as shown in the picture below.
portpadsGIF4.GIF

portagepads.jpg

Step 4 - Place a rolled up strip around the outside and staple in place as shown above.
Step 5 - Drill holes in the 3 3/4" bar stock pieces so they will slide over the carriage bolts. Secure the bar stock pieces with wing nuts.

Try using just one bolt. If it's tight you won't need the second one. And carry a wrench.

Back