• Happy National Zipper Day (pat. 1913)! 🤐

Yet another tempting chair for the back country

Garage sale - cost $5 and weighs less than 2 lbs. Tough to find the ones with aluminum arm rests but they weigh the least.

That brings back a smile. We had those for years. Enough years that I replaced the webbing and clips on some of them; which at the time was a common hardware store repair kit.

My favorite, and the one I kept going for the longest, was a chaise lounge. It made a great bilgewater platform on the bottom of the canoe with early/suspect dry baggage, and I spent long portions of the night star gazing and meteor shower watching while reclined in that chair.

It’s hard to get a good sky view from a hammock strung between the trees.

That brings back a smile. We had those for years. Enough years that I replaced the webbing and clips on some of them; which at the time was a common hardware store repair kit.

My favorite, and the one I kept going for the longest, was a chaise lounge. It made a great bilgewater platform on the bottom of the canoe with early/suspect dry baggage, and I spent long portions of the night star gazing and meteor shower watching while reclined in that chair.

It’s hard to get a good sky view from a hammock strung between the trees.

I was able to still find webbing at my local ACE Hardware store so I'm hoping to keep it going for a long time. I too like that it is a great platform in the bottom of a canoe. People laugh at me all the way to the campsite and then they think they should get to sit in it????

That alum-web chair is a classic. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. My parents had several, and were dedicated to replacing the webbing when it wore out. (Big extended family backyard parties and picnics can do that.) Eventually they caught the rage (maybe in the 70's?) and macramed the chairs in some kind of soft wooly plastic fibre. The fibre is scratchy now; not good if you're wearing shorts. I have a couple chairs full of memories I can't bear to part with (ie No-one else in the family will take them off my hands - I've tried). I may have to source the old webbing and restore them right. Never thought of making them our tripping chairs. That would be cool. Thanks for the idea BWCA.

Compared to the ubiquitous Chinese-made folding camp chairs of today those things were amazingly durable.

The typical big-box camp chair might last a season or two. The first thing to go is always that too flimsy pop rivet that holds the front X frame together, right where all the weight and stress are focused. Especially if you are a big guy and sometime lever yourself out of the chair using the armrests.

Even replacing that pop rivet with a 3/16 or ¼ bolt, the stitching will soon fray and the cheesy plastic grommets in the fabric fall to pieces. Perhaps there is a reason they can build those in China, ship them to Long Beach, truck them to Maryland and still sell them for $7.99 with stuff bag.

I don’t remember any part of those old-school chairs failing catastrophically, even when one or two webbing straps aged out.

Well, I do. On one particular gentleman’s trip many moons ago. Friend Dave was in his usual late night sit & sip campfire state of insobriety. Lurching around behind the campfire circle he discovered a new trick. If he grabbed the backrest of one of those chairs and twisted it sideways just right the entire aluminum frame would pretzel into a twisted heap. He perfected his new trick on several chairs.

It was kinda funny at the time; we were all younger and not as chair dependant.

Dave felt bad about his destructive shenanigans and made amends by preparing a plate of ham & cheese sandwiches, which he wobbled around and served to each of us. Dave was a fine camp cook, and that sandwich prep took him a while.

He served each of us, grabbed another beer and a plate for himself and proceeded to sit down in his chair.

While he was busy with food prep we had Erector-set propped up a broken chair where he was sitting. He plopped into that seat and never paused for a second on his way to the ground. The impressive thing was that he didn’t spill a drop of beer, and still had his sandwich on his plate.

Maybe less impressive if you knew Dave. He could not only pass out in his chair while holding a beer in his hand, but you could take it from him and give it back, and his fingers would close around it. I don’t think that was a badge he earned on his way to becoming an Eagle Scout.

I've been using a Trek Ultra chair for the last three seasons. Works great, easy to set up and stretches out those lower back muscles after a day of paddling. I don't have a photo, but you can Google it. I think I bought mine from the manufacturer but you can also get them from Amazon.

Back