• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

XY Paddles

What are you looking for in a paddle Frenchy19?

Good question! Honestly, I do not need a paddle. I really like my Zav, and I have a couple others that I bring along as backups. I also recently purchased a 280 cm Werner Cyprus kayak paddle that I plan on taking along on my Quetico Beaverhouse to Moose Lake trip this July.

That said, I am hankering for a straight blade paddle. I have not used one in the last 20 years or so, and last fall I enjoyed putzing around with a beaver tail a neighbor loaned me.

Do you ever paddle at Dan Cookes Thursday night sessions? With his wife so ill, I am not sure he will still be doing this.. The reason I suggest it is that Dan has quite a few paddles of the Sugar Island Shape ( similar to the Zavs)that you might want to try. Straight shaft.

I'd recommend Fox Worx too but they are in NY and no dealer network.

I'm another Grey Owl paddler. I really don't know if anyone buys paddles on-line like other purchases, but I wouldn't recommend it. Picking through the selection of paddles I was surprised at the differences in shafts and how they felt. No rejects, just slightly differing diameters, fat vs slim, round vs elliptical, etc. I am not an especially learned paddler so I handled them all of the correct size until I found one that felt just right to me. I'm considering having my wife try the same, retiring her current paddle to become a spare. I'm reaching for my animal tail Chieftain more and more, my Voyageur less often. No harm in having 2 spares is there?

Do you ever paddle at Dan Cookes Thursday night sessions? With his wife so ill, I am not sure he will still be doing this.. The reason I suggest it is that Dan has quite a few paddles of the Sugar Island Shape ( similar to the Zavs)that you might want to try. Straight shaft.

I'd recommend Fox Worx too but they are in NY and no dealer network.

He did not run the Thursday paddles last year, and I would be surprised if he will this year. But, one never knows. I will ask him when I see him in a couple weeks at the Midwest Mountaineering Expo.

Hi Frenchy. If I was after a nice beaver tail paddle I'd get a Shaw and Tenney Penobscot in spruce...just because I had a friend with this paddle and I put some time on it and really liked it. Spruce is a soft wood so the paddle is more prone to tip damage and dents than most other woods. But it's light with a great feel and nice flex. I'm sure there are other good beavertails out there as others have already mentioned.

If you want a Bell VooDoo I have a perfect one in 58 inches that I would sell you if you like. I'm a bit over six feet and it's a perfect fit. I have too many freestyle paddles and prefer smaller blades but the VooDoo is indeed quite a special paddle....quite light with a very fine edge, very powerful and excellent balance (not blade end heavy) even with the big blade. I was able to test paddle a whole stack of them and pick the best one.

Bonne chance with your search.

Just be aware that Sand T paddles are heavy( in relation to other choices out there)and thick and the shaft for bigger hands. U

The only softwood paddle I had where the shaft didn't break was a Clements. I still have it, it's a paddle with a lot of character, but a hugely thick shaft.

The only softwood paddle I had where the shaft didn't break was a Clements. I still have it, it's a paddle with a lot of character, but a hugely thick shaft.

Hey memaquay I'm curious, how did you break your softwood paddles? The only times I've worried about snapping a paddle are in big scary headwinds but I'm always solo and I think that may reduce the amount of bend I can put in a shaft versus a loaded tandem.

I wonder how folks avoid chewing up the tips on any traditional paddle. The attached shot shows the repaired and reinforced tip of my only beavertail.
image.jpeg

I've been told chewing on paddle tips is a filthy habit.

So is digging a latrine with one,
Yes there is a story there.

Bending Branches paddles are worth a look and should be easy to find. The Pearl II looks nice but its bent.. I have an Espresso ST which is ok.. not my favorite..its a little long in the shaft for a 54 inch paddle. I tried a Sunburst ST and hated it The Java ST seems to be the son of the Espresso ST. I haven't seen their beavertail.

Caleb Davis carefully saws a very small in-line slit in the tip end of his paddles and glues in a hardwood spline to prevent splitting and other damage. It is almost invisible and does not detract from making a thin edge all the way around the blade

Yes there are various ways of strengthening a tip

Gil Gilpatrick uses rope Dog paddle uses epoxy. I also have seen paddles wrapped with a thin strip so the end grain is not exposed

Caleb Davis carefully saws a very small in-line slit in the tip end of his paddles and glues in a hardwood spline to prevent splitting and other damage. It is almost invisible and does not detract from making a thin edge all the way around the blade

That is what I've been doing for years and on sitka spruce paddle, I usually use white ash and it is really tough and almost invisible. I can make the tip as thin as 3/16th

The only paddle i bought was a double from Grey Owl and they are awesome to deal with. Dropped by the factory (fortunately within easy driving distance) and they brought out a bunch for me to pick from and even offered to make a longer version than on the web site. I still use that paddle 4 years later and even though I make my own now, I would buy from them again in a heartbeat.

Brian

image.jpeg I've got a Grey Owl Chieftain that I like very much and they also snuck a piece of hardwood into the tip. Kudos to Grey Owl.

I have lots of favorites. I think my main one is my Quimby. 23 years ago it cost $400. It is like new. Yes its been paddled! I regard paddles as important as the boat. I don't think you can buy a Quimby anymore. I waited 9 months.
Others are by Dog Paddle ( two) and are a little cheaper. Quite light.

And into mass marketed paddles the Mitchells are really good. Bending Branches good. Grey Owl good. I have some four Grey Owl Freestyle paddles that are 20 years old. They are a veneer over solid but with reinforced tip. I bought Grey Owl Voyageur at MEC for twenty five bucks. Its thick but not too heavy and doesnt mind me dropping packs on it.

FYI, Campmor carries quality canoe paddles and, with the recurring 20% off coupon and free shipping, the prices are hard to beat. They have the BB Java 11 at net $120. Some Sanborns, and ZREs as well.

Back