• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

XY Paddles

Reaction score
My primary paddle is a ZRE Power Surge, and I really like it. That said, I am looking for a straight shaft to use as my backup, and I do miss the feel of wood in my hands. Curious if anyone here has any experience with XY Paddles. They are beautiful pieces, but I do not know anyone who uses one. Thanks in advance for all thoughts/suggestions.

I've heard of XY but never used one nor seen one. To me the two available models make no sense. A bent with a 30 inch blade is a deep deep water blade and they are very wide.. I wonder how the balance of the paddle is.. I'd be pooped with that much square inch area especially hit and switch. I have no idea of the weight of the paddle.

I know that some use the Power Surge by Zav ( it has a curve too) but is the blade on that that long?

A curved blade on a straight blade that you might do cross strokes with doesn't make much sense to me.. But maybe there is a Power Surge owner that can comment However from the Zav site they are a good foot shorter than the XYs

Yikes,,they are pretty but practical? I have a paddle with a 30 inch blade but the blade is four inches wide and the shaft 26 inches long.. Specifically for Canadian Style paddling where the blade never leaves the water

I wonder how feathering and recovery is with the XY out of the water. Curved blades are difficult to slice in the water.

No answers just more questions.

I've heard of XY but never used one nor seen one. To me the two available models make no sense. A bent with a 30 inch blade is a deep deep water blade and they are very wide.. I wonder how the balance of the paddle is.. I'd be pooped with that much square inch area especially hit and switch. I have no idea of the weight of the paddle.

I know that some use the Power Surge by Zav ( it has a curve too) but is the blade on that that long?

A curved blade on a straight blade that you might do cross strokes with doesn't make much sense to me.. But maybe there is a Power Surge owner that can comment However from the Zav site they are a good foot shorter than the XYs

Yikes,,they are pretty but practical? I have a paddle with a 30 inch blade but the blade is four inches wide and the shaft 26 inches long.. Specifically for Canadian Style paddling where the blade never leaves the water

I wonder how feathering and recovery is with the XY out of the water. Curved blades are difficult to slice in the water.

No answers just more questions.

Good points; exactly what I need to hear.

You might want to look into Foxworx Paddles. They're local to where I live and have a great reputation. It's a family business and they're very attentive to their customers so don't hesitate to contact them if you have any questions. Here's the link:

http://www.foxworxpaddle.com/straigh...e_paddles.html

Hope that help. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

PS - I realize this isn't what you were asking for but I figured it would give you another option.

I don't think Frenchy19 lacks paddles;) Just looking for feedback on a very small company. And at this rate we are weak on giving specific advice.. Is there anywhere there is a side profile of these paddles( I am interested in the grip)

I don't think Frenchy19 lacks paddles;) Just looking for feedback on a very small company. And at this rate we are weak on giving specific advice.. Is there anywhere there is a side profile of these paddles( I am interested in the grip)

If you click on this link you will see a thumbnail of a side view that you can click on.

You might want to look into Foxworx Paddles. They're local to where I live and have a great reputation. It's a family business and they're very attentive to their customers so don't hesitate to contact them if you have any questions. Here's the link:

http://www.foxworxpaddle.com/straigh...e_paddles.html

Hope that help. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

PS - I realize this isn't what you were asking for but I figured it would give you another option.

Thanks. After getting a quite from XY, I will be pursuing other options.

If you really want to touch wood then the foxworx Roka looks like an interesting option. It also has a symmetric grip which is nice.

I'm very happy using a straight shaft Zav.

The XY's are pretty but with no customer reviews plus the fact that they varnish their grips, I'd worry that they may be focused more on beauty than function.

If you really want to touch wood then the foxworx Roka looks like an interesting option. It also has a symmetric grip which is nice.

I'm very happy using a straight shaft Zav.

The XY's are pretty but with no customer reviews plus the fact that they varnish their grips, I'd worry that they may be focused more on beauty than function.

Good points; especially the varnished grip take.

You might consider straight shaft wood paddles by Caleb Davis.

http://tremolopaddles.wcha.org/treme...s/Welcome.html

If you take one of his paddle making classes (or go it on your own wth one of his DVD instructionals), you can learn to make and keep your own for approximately what he sells them for pre-made (which is actually a very reasonable price, either way) Unlike many others on the market, the blades on Caleb's paddles are finished to a thin knife-edge, making slicing type strokes very easy to do.

https://www.adirondack.net/event/pad...-davis-164539/

The Mitchell Surreal/Northstar Voodoo is a pretty awesome straight shaft. If you can find one it seems like the Mitchell branded one is a bit cheaper. Mine has paddled all over Northern Ontario and the BWCA, bounced off rocks in whitewater, been lost in whitewater (just once!), and is still going strong 10 yrs later.

It will cost more than the foxworx carbon. I used the foxworx carbon bentshafts as rentals for one year and based on that I would say the surreal is many times more durable.

Quinn

The Mitchell Surreal/Northstar Voodoo is a pretty awesome straight shaft. If you can find one it seems like the Mitchell branded one is a bit cheaper. Mine has paddled all over Northern Ontario and the BWCA, bounced off rocks in whitewater, been lost in whitewater (just once!), and is still going strong 10 yrs later.

It will cost more than the foxworx carbon. I used the foxworx carbon bentshafts as rentals for one year and based on that I would say the surreal is many times more durable.

Quinn

Thanks, Quinn. Now, if I could only find a local Mitchell dealer that carries the surreal.

Thanks, Quinn. Now, if I could only find a local Mitchell dealer that carries the surreal.

What are you looking for in a paddle Frenchy19?

I have the bent shaft version of the Surreal; the Leader. Its a decent tripping paddle but I disagree with the idea that its good for fast cadence as suggested by the Mitchell Website. I use it for Freestyle which is a low cadence high acceleration form of canoeing. I have the double bend and it is indeed easy on the hands.

Wish you were over this way. Canaan NH isn't that far.

I wonder if a paddling buddy of mine in Young America MN has one. He runs Brush Prairie Farm

You could try to take 2nd place in Northstar's T-shirt design contest! Then you'll get a free voodoo.

Attachments

• photo9305.jpg
    photo9305.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 1
Back