• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Woodland Caribou Provincial Park "Gathering" 2013

Reaction score
I am planning on going to WCPP in mid-July. I will be there for a month. My travels will be off the canoe routes but will be in the area of Moose and Twin Lakes. Not the place for a gathering but if something develops I could pack light and meet up elsewhere.

Farmer and I will be entering WCPP at the Johnson entrance by July 28. We could be in at the campsite on Glenn we used for the first Solotripping Gathering in 2011 by Tuesday July 30 or come back by that way on Aug.7. I am thinking about coming down from Indian House using my bushwhack route through Domain. Those plans will depend on portage conditions.

Last edited:
Hi Marten,

I'm back and forth on WCPP this year, every time I fill up my gas tank here at home, I shudder to think about the long ride out and back burning $700 in gas.

Then I get to thinking about the park and what an opportunity to really experience wilderness as it was and I forget about the gas:confused:

If I do go, it will be for 2 weeks around that time and I'm not even sure of the area I will be in. No flights for me after my gas bill, so I was thinking of going in from the south for something different than Leano. But, right now, it's all up in the air.

Anybody want to share a ride from the east? Hey, it doesn't hurt to ask.

Does WCPP have mountains? I remember a lot of float plane photos from Harlan and it always looked like very flat terrain.

Here's some pictures from the Leano Lake entry area, not sure but I would say the park is pretty much the same all around,

Here's a campsite on Glenn Lake where the "gathering" has been in the past (the gathering was across the lake from this site)
Pretty flat off in the distance.

Cooking pancakes in a cold handle (solo)

Same campsite as above

Here's the sleeping area at this site, bed of moss, and there was grass growing in the fire pit so I assume reservations are not needed;) (kidding of course, no reservation camping here)

And another site where you get an idea of how low the terrain is,

The only firm part of our plan right now is returning to Red Lake from Opasquia P.P on Sat. July 27 and entering WCPP via a road access point on the 28th. Probably the Johnson entrance and doing a loop for about 10 days. It could include a bushwhack through Domain as we are going or coming to Indian House. I am not sure if the portages from Hatchet to Indian House have been cleared or if we would have to do it to get through the Oct. storm damage. Most major routes are open and this one may be too.

I'm putting together plans to head up to WCPP July 26th from Janesville, WI with a stopover in Duluth. Then up to Red Lake from there. I hope to have my son, Matthew, with and expect that Skip (Hogan) will join me in Duluth. It will be awesome to see everyone at the gathering this year. July 30th would be a good day to meet. The 7th may work out too though I will definitely be on my way out at that time.

Jazzman,

Have a great time at the gathering! I hope you and your son will have a ball-hoist one for me eh buddy, I sure wish I could go with you guys, the gathering event is always a marvelous time!! Tell Hogan howdy for me.

Bob

I'm putting together plans to head up to WCPP July 26th from Janesville, WI with a stopover in Duluth. Then up to Red Lake from there. I hope to have my son, Matthew, with and expect that Skip (Hogan) will join me in Duluth. It will be awesome to see everyone at the gathering this year. July 30th would be a good day to meet. The 7th may work out too though I will definitely be on my way out at that time.
We can certainly make July 30 work. Are you thinking our old site 1 mile from the east end of Glenn?

Plans for the "Third Annual WCPP Gathering" have been finalized. We will meet on the Glenn Lake campsite we used in 2011: WGS84 15N 389497 5641892 Lat Long 50.9181 94.5722-.http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php?ll=50.918591,-94.551924&t=s&z=15 Hogan, Farmer, Marten, Jazzman and son will be there for sure on July 29-30. Anyone else in the area is encouraged to stop in. It is a very spacious site with plenty of tent pads. In the past we have thrown together a buffet for meals made up of what each group has to offer.

Last edited:
Returned home from the WCPP Gathering yesterday. The weather was beautiful and my son got to spend time with Martin Kehoe learning about the area. Unfortunately, Hogan was not able to join us due to a number of issues needing his attention. We all missed having him up. Due to the October snow and winds, the park was not entirely open to unrestricted travel so it seemed a bit crowded to me. I had flashbacks to BWCAW campsite availability as our second and third nights out were plagued with searching for open sites due to canoeists being restricted to open routes. Other than that, the park didn't disappoint: 3 full-grown moose, 2 calves, eagles, whippoorwills, loons, beaver, otter, wolves, a bear, various rodents, pike and pickerel (walleyes for us midwesteners), blueberries and raspberries. BBQ ribs at Buster's in Vermillion Bay rounded out a great trip.

We had a great time too and came out Friday morning. We went in at Johnson Lake and down to Onnie and then west to Glenn. We went out the same route and the only paddlers were Jazzman and Matthew. We saw a couple delivered to the Optic Lake Outpost by plane but no boat traffic. Six days on the Gammon and we had it all to ourselves.

Back