• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

wood gasifier stoves

Reaction score
After seeing GGTBod's wood stove in his recent trip videos, I had to get my hands on one. Free of any ads (by me, anyway) or affiliate links, here's a quicky writeup with some video and photos.

Bottom line: I like it enough that I'll probably use it for trips where I have the time to collect and prepare fuel for it. If it's been pissing rain out, or if I'm expecting it to, it might have to stay at home.

https://canoe.ninja/2016/12/22/cheap-chinese-wood-gasifier-stove/

Attachments

• photo5779.jpg
    photo5779.jpg
    365.3 KB · Views: 0
the first thing i noticed about using a woodgas stove all of the time is that it is amazing how many twigs and little chunks of wood are just lying around being completely ignored as firewood by other outdoors folk, i use my wash bowl as a collection vessel and keep topping it up as i use them, this sits under my tarp so i always have ample dry fuel after the first day, many times i have turned up to a camp area and totally lived for fuel on the spray chippings left behind by someone processing large amounts of wood with an axe in the area

Hahaha yes! In my test run in my backyard, I was picking up dried out acorns (living in the City of Oaks, I have them in abundance), twigs, and shards laying around my wood pile. I did shave some down with my Cold Steel Trail Hawk for this test run, too. Mostly just to satisfy my suspicion that the tomahawk should give way to an axe or hatchet.

EDIT: I really like the idea of using a wash bowl to collect biomass for the stove.

No Title

It's a beast on high. I would like to find it in a two burner for canoe camp cooking.

Attachments

• photo5792.jpg
    photo5792.jpg
    306.7 KB · Views: 0
This is a still taken from raw footage i have yet to edit

Wash bowl/wood bucket, always good to put items you've carried to more than one use

Rob,

I was fascinated with the stove you used in the Hitchens Pond videos and mentioned it to one of my sons. Guess what I got for Christmas... not as classy as yours but it will work.

I have had lost of twig stoves. the best burning was to Solo Stove, but it was heavy. Some burn perfect with a certain fuel and stink with other fuel. I have settled on a titanium Emberlite stove and am finally satisfied.
Turtle

I've been looking at the Lixada Portable Stainless Steel Gasifier Wood Stove.

Comparing the Lixada stove to a e.g. a Steel Scout and similar gasifier stoves. Gasifier stoves of this design may have some differences such as with the pot holder.

I've seen the Lixada for sale at various prices come with different pot holders. The Steel Scout uses five arm with it's pot holder. The Lixada I've looke at uses three to four arms for the pot holder.

The number of pot holder arms may make a difference with the stability of the stove.

Below is a link to a Lixada that uses four arms with it's pot holder.

https://www.amazon.com/Lixada-Portab...N%3DB01E8QWHTI

The Scout has a coal catcher on the bottom, which the Lixada doesn't have. If you plan to use a Lixada stove on other than the ground, you can fabricate a round piece metal flashing the same size as the bottom to catch coals, preventing burning of any surfaces such as a picnic table, etc.

http://www.silverfire.us/304-stainle...el-scout-stove

The Solo gasifier wood stove comes in four different sizes. I'd be interested in their largest version that accepts smaller logs (to use when car camping, etc.) however it weighs 20 lbs and the cost is more than I want to spend for a camping stove.

https://www.solostove.com/

The wood burning chamber is double wall construction. Air goes flows up through the double wall and works as a re-burner. Burning your collected fuel twice, creating a gasification from the air flow.

The Lixada, Scout and possibly others fit into a ~3 cup pot such as the (775 ml) MSR Stowaway pot. (775 millilitres = ~3.28 cups)

MSR Stowaway pots come in different sizes and have a lockable lid using the pot handle. Good to store items when the pot isn't being used.

9.5 oz./270 g (475ml); 13 oz./365 g (775ml); 15.5 oz./440 g (1100ml); 19.5 oz./550 g (1600ml)

s-l500.jpg

Last edited:
Rob,

I was fascinated with the stove you used in the Hitchens Pond videos and mentioned it to one of my sons. Guess what I got for Christmas... not as classy as yours but it will work.

Have you put it to any use yet? Your family sounds like mine, i am almost frightened to raise an eyebrow to anything i don't need that i see between mid nov and dec 20th or it will turn up as a present? Mine is as cheap as chips, i paid something like 12 bucks from china ebay, took 3 weeks to arrive but was better than paying 50 uk bucks for the uk selling branded version which is almost identical, i've had 3+ years use out of it so far and judging by the lack of wear and tear i'll easy get another 3 out of it, one of my best value for money kit buys ever i'd say

Have you put it to any use yet? Your family sounds like mine, i am almost frightened to raise an eyebrow to anything i don't need that i see between mid nov and dec 20th or it will turn up as a present? Mine is as cheap as chips, i paid something like 12 bucks from china ebay, took 3 weeks to arrive but was better than paying 50 uk bucks for the uk selling branded version which is almost identical, i've had 3+ years use out of it so far and judging by the lack of wear and tear i'll easy get another 3 out of it, one of my best value for money kit buys ever i'd say

Rob,
Haven't been able to try it yet, I had cervical spine surgery 12/19 and currently, my activities are pretty restricted. It's tough for my kids to buy for us since we have more than we need, What we think we want is more than they can afford (why we don't already have it).

Back