• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Wood canvas 14' Chestnut Fox (replica)

Reaction score
Getting there, trimmed excess canvas tonight, spruce gunnels will go on this week,

I bought the canoe like this. It was built by Schuyler Thomson over a weekend at a boat show.

DSC01215.JPG
Canvas stretched the night before,
GOPR2988.JPG
Hull dropped into the canvas envelope, weight added to get a good stretch and then the canvas is stapled at the rib tops. The canvas can be easily removed for future restorations.
G0163095_Moment.jpg

Getting ready to tack the canvas to the stems, the hardest part for a DIY'er imho
G0193098_Moment.jpg

applying home made canvas filler, it need 30 plus days to cure,
DSC01297.JPG

new shop, second coat of Interlux Brightside paint
IMG_1708.jpg

1/11/21- trimming the excess canvas , getting ready to install the gunnels
002.JPG
not the actual color, it's dark green like the Chum on the rack
003.JPG

That's looking great! I bet the Fox will be a joy to day paddle... I can't imagine it will accommodate your present outfit! What do you anticipate the weight to be when complete? I look forward to see how you complete her.

That's looking great! I bet the Fox will be a joy to day paddle... I can't imagine it will accommodate your present outfit! What do you anticipate the weight to be when complete? I look forward to see how you complete her.

Thanks,
Right now, with the spruce gunnel weight added in, it's 39 lbs. It has cedar decks and inwales (beefy wide but lightweight), but those inwales are too fragile to hang a seat from, imho. I might just throw a stuffed #3 Duluth Pack in there to knell back on.
It will be about 41-42 lbs with the stem bands.

I still have my little solo tent so it might make a good little tripper.

42 lbs.... that'll be very nice to trip with! Perfect little boat for nosing around the smaller ponds and creeks. Your shop is looking great with so many wood/canvas canoes in there. I'm more than a little envious!

I really like seeing old & new wood and canvas canoes being built, restored and used. Don't have any thing against other forms of canoes, but something about cedar & canvas grabs my eye and satisfies my soul.

42 lbs.... that'll be very nice to trip with! Perfect little boat for nosing around the smaller ponds and creeks. Your shop is looking great with so many wood/canvas canoes in there. I'm more than a little envious!

Thanks, if your ever in the area....

Looking great Robin. I'm sure you'll be anxious to get it out on the water once it becomes liquid again.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Thanks snapper, there is a nice flat water stream nearby, can't wait to explore.

I really like seeing old & new wood and canvas canoes being built, restored and used. Don't have any thing against other forms of canoes, but something about cedar & canvas grabs my eye and satisfies my soul.

Me too, I got hooked a while ago and was lucky to have a builder/restorer friend teach me a few things...and a wife who understands.

Me too, I got hooked a while ago and was lucky to have a builder/restorer friend teach me a few things...and a wife who understands.
The key part of this message is "and a wife who understands". Made me chuckle a bit. Great looking canoe Robin. When will you be adding on to your workshop? You are clearly running out of storage space.

Beautiful, Robin. Beautiful work, beautiful canoe.
Just my size!

Beautiful, Robin. Beautiful work, beautiful canoe.
Just my size!
Thanks, Erica, I wasn't sure if it would be too small for me, but if it was I knew I could find a home for it.
It turns out to be a good fit, not as stout as my other wood canvas canoes but very seaworthy with my outfit.
IMG_2729.jpg

Some of those lightweight components (cedar inwales, cedar decks, lighter ribs, and lighter weight canvas) are not really tough enough for tripping IMO, but at 44 lbs it's a pleasure to carry and I find that interior is pleasing to the eye when you ad a couple of leather and canvas packs.

Fox.PNG

Great pictures Robin … makes dreaming of tripping more intense for me. I would love to have a canoe similar to that one, light and large enough for myself and Jake.

Back