• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Re-canvassed Chestnut Playmate back in business

Reaction score
Spent a few months refurbishing a circa 1960 Chestnut Playmate. When I obtained the boat a few years back, the original canvas was heavily cracked. Managed to squeeze in 3 seasons of light usage by following some of the restoration advice of the pros on the forum. The canoe began leaking too much during a trip last fall so a new skin of canvas was needed going forward. Mike Elliot's restoration book, This Old Canoe, was a great resource.

Fortunately the woodwork was sound without any trace of rot in the stem or cracked ribs that needed replacing. Biggest pain was dealing with all the paint and varnish covering the screw heads of the stem bands and outwale fasteners. Each needed to be delicately cleaned with an tiny awl before attempting to remove. Like most Chestnuts of the era, gunnels were fastened with steel screws that were heavily corroded by now. Eventually managed to get all the bits off to reveal the woodwork. This one is all red cedar planking that wasn't faired well. Giant rasp marks were all over the place but hidden under the original #10 canvas. 60 years of sand and gunk were trapped between the canvas and the bottom of the hull. Still, the oiled cedar still looked great in spots.

DSCN3441_rs.jpg

Much time was spent cleaning the hull and fairing it as good as it was going to get. A few tacks re-clinched and some minor repairs of filling in the tack holes in the stem and along the sheerline. To lighten the boat a bit, the new skin would be #12 and would be filled with water-based formula used by some builders today. It apparently cures in about 30 hours instead of the 30 days of traditional oil based filler. Since I wanted to get this boat back on the water for the upcoming season, thought I'd give this stuff a whirl. Last summer, Pam Wedd of Bearwood canoes did a recanvassing demo at the WCHA assembly in Peterborough. She showed the upside down method of stretching the canvas as well as the application of this new filler. Thanks to her demo and tips, I improvised my own system in the backyard. Ended up using some hardwood pieces from my son's disassembled crib to make the necessary clamps and elevated risers on the sawhorses to raise the canoe extra high...

DSCN3478_rs.jpg

Also used a Y-strap typically used to secure the canoe to a car roof rack as an anchor on one end...

DSCN3480_rs.jpg

...with a heavy duty 2" wide ratchet strap to provide tension on the other...

DSCN3483_rs.jpg

Following Pam's guidance I used a staple gun to secure the canvas at each rib location also on the stems. Whole thing took about 6 hours working solo much of which is setup time and working the canvas with stretching pliers. A chemical preservative was brushed onto the raw canvas directly on the hull. The cotton fibers soaked up about 1/2 gallon of liquid and stank up the neighbourhood for a few days but this treatment shrank the weave after drying, tightening it up even more.

Multiple coats of the water based filler were applied on another sunny day. It is pretty forgiving stuff to apply, hardens to a nice layer and is very easy to clean up. The quick drying time was a bonus too. Only downside is that it is white so when working on natural canvas it can be a bit hard to see what areas need more filler if your lighting conditions aren't great. Here's a shot after the final coat of filler...

DSCN3488_rs.jpg

Thought I'd keep as close as possible to original so it was painted red. Next up the tedious work of priming + multiple color coats with plenty of sanding in between.

DSCN3491_rs.jpg

Ended up re-using the original stem bands after polishing them up. The original spliced oak outwales were in usable shape and were re-fastened with brass screws just to keep as many original parts as possible. All that stomping around a soggy spring yard did a number on the grass so the yard was a casualty of the whole process, but now the canoe is ready to rock for many more seasons.

DSCN3504_rs.jpg

The keel was not re-installed saving about 4 pounds. Switching to #12 canvas and water-based filler instead of #10 and oil-based filler saved another 5 pounds. It has been scaled at 59.5lbs. More weight could probably be shaved off in the future if I get rid of the stern seat since this boat will be used as a solo. Replacing the heavy oak outwales might help too. A friend in Ohio with the same canoe got it down to 49 pounds by replacing the oak decks and outwales, replacing the ash seats with cedar thwarts, completely eliminating the keel and using lighter #12 canvas.

Was worried that I don't have a dedicated indoor shop but this whole process worked pretty well. All you really need is some creative anchoring methods for the canvassing and multiple days of good weather outside. You can re-purpose things for the the oversized clamps and don't need expensive speciality tools.

Nice work Murat. Did you have to do any interior finish work? Tell us all more about this water based filler you used. I have another canoe waiting in the wings and would like to experiment with a different filler.

mark

Well done Murat, looks fantastic!
"All that stomping around a soggy spring yard did a number on the grass so the yard was a casualty of the whole process, but now the canoe is ready to rock for many more seasons."
Sooo, the result of which is less time mowing the lawn and more time paddling the canoe. Win - win.

Thanks for the compliments so far everyone. It's been water tested now and all's good. No leaks! I'll post pics in another thread.

Dogbrain: Luckily no interior work was needed. The original owner took real nice care of the boat and certainly stored it properly off the ground. Didn't want to mess with the darkened patina of the original varnish so the interior wasn't stripped.

The filler used in question is this stuff...

chil-seal-cp-50a-mv1.jpg

...a water-based sludge also known as pipe lagging compound. Apparently, it is normally utilised to treat the canvas insulation for industrial pipe and duct work in buildings as a water-proof & fire resistant alternative to asbestos. Turns out, this lagging compound makes a functional canvas filler for canoes. The cost per gallon is also about half for pre-made oil-based + silica filler. I ended using about 3/4's of the tub. Because there is no silica in the formula, the lagging compound doesn't sand to a highly polished finish, just a smooth hardened surface. You can apply with a brush, scraper or roller. I used a 6 inch foam roller to spread it out thinly and then smoothed out just by hand rubbing. It sets pretty quickly so you need to work the canoe in short sections rather than applying on the whole boat in one shot.

Here's an online video of a builder in B.C. applying similar compound he calls '"mastic" with a plastic spreader.

Overall, I found it pretty forgiving though you need to be vigilant about leaving ridges because that will require more effort sanding down later. Found that using traditional oil filler needed fewer coats to fill the weave so it involved less initial application time, but of course then you need to wait a month before proceeding to painting. If you also want a highly polished, mirror like finish then oil-based is the way to go, but for a functional boat, I like the lagging compound. and would use it again.

Nice job on the canvasing, and thanks for the information on your experience using that filler. Using # 12 canvas is a good way to save weight, but I found it to be a little fragile for a tripping canoe. But then I probably dragged the loaded Chestnut Pal over a beaver dam one too many times and running the Noire River didn't help either. I make my own filler from "This Old Canoe" book.

*If I could find a Chestnut Fox in need of restoration I'd be a happy man. Your's is really nice. Thanks for posting your work, excellent.

*found this one in Gravehurst, On., 1945, new canvas for $800 cdn, not sure if it's a Playmate though, those are different decks and I don't know if they changed over the years.

%24_59.JPG

Last edited:
Nice job on the repairs. I dont use #12 any more because I found the weave a bit too tight to take the traditional filler well. It also does not really save you much weight.. Wood is where you save weight.
I also left the Linseed Oil out of my last filler to see if it would dry faster...it did, in about a week. But it cracked as it did not have the pliability that the Linseed oil apparently gives it. Lesson learned. Sand and use more paint to cover and seal.

Robin those look like Tremblay decks but the seat hangers are wrong for a Tremblay so yeah it is likely b*st*rdised. Btw...I paddled one of the 14 foot tremblays that I repaired and they are sweet little boats, if heavy.

Thanks for sharing your experience with that filler Murat. Its hard to find that stuff around here, but it looks like i might be able to get some in seattle when i visit there next time. If not, I may make my way up to Victoria and visit Rod at Orca boats to get some of the stuff he sells. Either way I'm always in to trying something new to see how it works. Keep us updated with more pictures of that beautiful canoe on the water, and on how the canvas filler performs once you've spent some time with it in the water.

Mark

Back