• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Winter campout MA Feb 4-5 2017

I could be there the same time, well closer towards 9 am. There is an office where we buy permits, 69 Blue Hill Rd. No booze allowed so plan accordingly...haha

I hope you all have a great time. While the location would be ideal for me, work calls on Saturday afternoon (a snowshoe trek), Saturday evening (a story telling program) and again on Sunday afternoon (we're playing snow snakes)! Have a great time and take plenty of photos. Look forward to your collective trip report.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

I see the area by Benedict Pond, looks nice. The AT trail is right near there also at the SE section of the pond. I'm looking forward to going.

Thinking of taking my old Morsan and punching a hole through the canvas and attaching roof vents. Or just schlep the big one and set it up.

ok, I finally spoke to Adam I think he is the supervisor. Cost $14 per site state resident. $16 per site out of state. You can have 2-3 people and tents at each site so the cost gets divided up between that many. Wood costs $5 per bundle. They drive around the campground 2-3 times a day to collect the fee (cash, check, credit card) I believe he said that. Sites 7,8,9,10,11,12 are good, think the other ones are down a bit by the pond which is a bit icy like Robin noted before. Microspikes, yak traks are the footwear suggested. The AT is 1/2 mile away from site or 1/4 m mile from lot, nice walk up to the ridge, snowshoes overkill as of now. They do get busy now that it's getting colder and less mush out there. Also site #7 is behind the saw horses, don't drive past that or your not going to get your car back up the hill. You can camp there but leave the car up on top. What else? I'm hoping to get up there Friday night but will probably leave here early Saturday and meet up between 8-9.
Sweeper - sorry your not able to make it.
JoeO?

I think am going to try and get up to the whites this weekend and bring the snow shoes and hit lonesome lake

Last edited:
We Brad (aka southcove) David (aka coldfeet) and I had a good time hot tent camping overnight at Beartown State Forest in Mass. We stayed a drive in site and enjoyed hanging around our tents and cooking good eats. Nice to get out for a while.

Coldfeet's DIY hot tent, his new Snowtrekker is on it's way so this might be it's last trip with him(?)

Sorry about the picture quality but the food quality is top shelf, coldfeet cooking some hot chilli

My tent behind a lot of gear...car camping luxury.

Brad in front of his Snowtreeker tent,

Snowtreeker interior,

Brads stove,

My stove,

That's hot!

David thinks the Bagel on the left is deflated and this is Tom Brady's work...we where in Mass!

"See See, It's Bradys fault" said David

3 Happy Campers,

Cool trip. It's always nice when the sun is out in winter. I take it the Brady bagel wasn't the MVP on your weekend? lol

Great time! Like I told southcove, better to bust my arse setting up for one day and night and breathing the fresh cool air and enjoying being with others that have the same interest than just waiting and waiting and waiting to put together consecutive days. We live in such a high fast pace world than I don't mind doing that because I would still be in a rush doing other things instead. And once again I got to hear the "sounds" of the ice expanding when southcove and I were admiring the stars while standing on the ice that night. So cool. ADK trip in two weeks. Be well all.
PS, the "Flagle" did taste delicious but southcove's brownies got my vote for the MVP!

Awesome looking trip. I showed my corporals at work and they are all suitably impressed with you three.

As soon as I start talking about winter camping though the sound of people around me putting their foot down is deafening. I guess that is supposed to tell me something...lol. Mehhhh never mind them...Coldfeet can bundle up his old tent when the snowtrekker arrives and send it to me on the sly.

Christy

Really nice seeing all that winter gear being used. Sure looks warm and toasty.

Robin, about that pic with the view of your hot fire through the stovepipe. Does your stovejack modification with the bolted metal sheets get very hot too? Would you get burned if you touched the metal sheet with a bare hand or is the heat transfer from pipe to sheet minimal? Wondering for a future project.

Robin, about that pic with the view of your hot fire through the stovepipe. Does your stovejack modification with the bolted metal sheets get very hot too? Would you get burned if you touched the metal sheet with a bare hand or is the heat transfer from pipe to sheet minimal? Wondering for a future project.

Hi Murat,
I have never touch the metal sheet when the fire gets that hot and the flames come out the end. I will give it a try the next time...haha

I'm not too worried about it because of two reasons.

1. I have that fireproof jack underneath so the canvas is safe.

2. When it gets that hot, I always have the door open. If the tent goes up in flames I can make a quick exit and promptly order a new Snowtrekker tent like a lot of others around here!.;)

Back