• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Winter blues carving

Reaction score
Loving all these threads about boats, knives and other gear being made by members. My projects haven't been so ambitious. Did get one of those Duluth Utensil rolls as a gift a few seasons ago. Haven't really brought it along on any trips, but started to fill it up with mostly homemade stuff to pass the winter blues. Made a kitchen set of sorts with some cherry offcuts - a spoon, a solo sized spatula, little camp fork and a spreader knife (never liked getting food on my real knife). Normally I just bring bring a crooked knife and pass time whittling some crude utensils on the trail, but figured I'd use this set when the mood for luxury set in.

Sometimes like to make birchbark containers out there too and found an awl useful for stitching these up with root cordage. Also have sharpener from a small broken piece of ceramic rod. I used to just put these in a sack but the awkward shape of the crooked knife handle would always be annoying when stuffing into the pack. With the tool roll, found that if the crooked knife was placed on the outermost pocket, it would project just little when rolled up but not that bad at all. As a bonus, one of the pockets perfectly fit a leather & Spanish cedar cigar case picked up on vacation. Now that the cigars will fit in there, there's more reason to take the roll.

Here's my "luxury" set waiting for the spring thaw...

Filled+Duluth+Roll+3_rs.jpg

Items are (left to right): crooked knife, awl, small ceramic rod sharpener, spreader, fork, spoon, spatula, cigar case, spoon knife

Filled+Duluth+Roll+2_rs.jpg

Items packed in

Filled+Duluth+Roll+1_rs.jpg

crooked knife handle just peeking through

Our daughter #2 has a keyboard cover, to protect it from spills. I really need one now, to deal with my drooling. Your cutlery carving is simply overwhelming. My wife has a spoon with a carved handle (not as nice as yours), that can only see use when she permits it. It's a special spoon in the drawer. I agree and comply. Hand crafted things are special. That's a cool idea for some very special tools. Thanks Murat.
ps How do you treat and protect the wood?

Thanks all.

Brad, I just use a little coconut oil on the wood. Seems to work well enough. Does the job as a leather conditioner too.

I get the ultralight titanium spork thing for weight savings, but can't stand that scraping sound of metal utensils with metal pots. Worse than fingernails scraping a chalkboard on my annoyance factor.

Back