• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Wilderness Artist in a wood canvas canoe

Reaction score
Came across this new video by French Canadian Artist Rejean Roy. It's a little showcase of how he gets his inspiration from his wilderness journeys in a wood canvas canoe. Loads of great footage...wanigans, baker tent, duluth packs. Can't seem to embed the video so here's the link. Pretty inspirational stuff...

http://vimeo.com/77808345

WOW ... I forgot how much I miss the wilderness. That video hit home in a big way. Thanks for the link ... powerful.

Bob.

I liked it too, just the way I like to canoe trip. I guess he didn't have the tent in the canoe during filming, pretty bulky tent for only one pack, but not trying to nit pick. I too miss being out there.

Thanks for the link, I see he has a few other videos that look interesting, but it's like dessert, I try to stretch out the enjoyment and will wait a few days to view the next one. (long winter ahead, gotta plan wisely)

Neat. He put a lot of work into that video to be able to share his experience with others.

He did a nice job of getting the feeling across.

Thanks for sharing the link.

Looks like he's a great teacher, too. On his vimeo channel, there is a cute video of the history of his village, all done in cut-paper animation by his students. At the end are images of the students making the animation. Looks like a lot of fun.

Love the sky blue paint job on the canoe, too. Good find, Murat.

I took another look and have some thoughts and questions.

On my first view I missed the second pack in his canoe, so I stand corrected, he might have carried that tent in his second pack along with all his gear and didn't "stage" a trip like I kind of hinted at.
Lifting that canoe with a Duluth pack on his back was pretty neat, all I can say is enjoy it while you can.:(

I wonder if he did all the camera work by himself, alot of work and doubling back, but the final product was excellent imo.

Has anyone ever seen a coffee maker like that, where the coffee just poured itself out into his cup? And I guess that was a firebox he was using for his fire, anyone ever use one? I have never seen one out there and was wondering about it's weight and what real advantage it has over a fire pit. I understand the "forest fire" angle, not wanting to start a fire in the duff, but humping that thing around could get tiresome. Is it a traditional thing, fire boxes?

I really enjoyed that, Bill Mason lives on in some folks.

Robin, the coffee maker is one of those backcountry expresso makers. Guess that's one of his luxury items. Here's one from MEC up here in Canada...

http://www.mec.ca/product/5006-001/gsi-stainless-steel-espresso-maker/

As far as fireboxes...don't know if they are very traditional. I've been reading loads of older 1890s-1930s camping books online and have yet to see one. Maybe it was Bill Mason himself who popularized it in his Song of the Paddle Book? There are plans for one in there. I can see the appeal if you are tripping with a campfire Baker tent. After all, you want the fire in front of the tent, but setting up the tent in front of a prexisting campfire ring isn't always an option. Plus the appeal of the Baker tent is to set it up with the best view since it is so open and that isn't always the best spot for a fire either. His tent spot in the video has tree roots right in front - not really the best location for a traditional fire location. I guess the firebox helps to contain a safer fire and lets you enjoy the whole point of lugging around a heavy baker tent.

Wondering if he was trying to channel Tom Thomson too with his "dove grey/blue" coloured canoe. Definitely see the obvious Canadiana - Group of 7 influence in his artwork.

Thanks Murat V,

I use the same coffee cup, the expresso maker had me stumped. It was nice the way he included the coffee into the trip though, I was there with him.

Excellent explanation about the firebox. Back in the day, I tripped a few times with Mike Hurley who used a Campfire tent and sometimes the set up of the tent compared to the fire-ring was off. A firebox would have really fit in. But, it would have required another pair of backs on the ports, man his outfit was heavy....but fun and great memories.
Thanks Again for the link, really what I love about the open canoe and tripping in Canada.

Back