• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Why are wood canvas canoes so nice to paddle

Canoes designs have advanced significantly in design in the last 30 years let alone the last 100. This progression is especially true for solo canoes. There is an argument to be made about the difference that makes to most paddlers and what they value in a canoe.
That’s true, but the question was why are wood canvas canoes so nice to paddle. From what I see and read, “most paddlers”today are pretty much interested in weight, cost, efficiency(speed), name brand and least maintenance. Most paddlers have no interest in a 70 year old canoe that’s heavy, slower and can’t be left out in the back yard over the winter.

I take back my cocksure statements. After I left the keyboard and started critiquing my own statement I realized I was talking out of my rear end. Though in hind sight I do not take it back only because of all of your excellent responses.

Yes.

The Tom Mackenzie Loon Works Mistral is a 15' tripping canoe with 29" beam at gunwales and 26" at the waterline. They were all made mostly with Dacron rather than canvas to cut down on weight. Members here, Brightraven currently owns one and stevet used to own one. It is, of course, no longer in production and would have to be found used.

The 15-6 Stewart River Traveler, in current production, is less than 30" in all beam dimensions and can be made with Dacron, canvas, or a poly/canvas hybrid fabric. Stewart River also makes shorter solo canoes with narrow beams.

Jerry Stelmok at Island Falls makes the narrow Willow and Willow Wisp. Patrick Corry has one of these.
Since my Willow was mentioned in the nominal 30" beam discussion, three of my canoes measure as follows (all are 15' in length):

width of planking at gunwales/ width at 4" waterline

Island Falls Willow: 32.25" 26.75" This canoe is a dedicated solo
Homebuilt: 30" 26" Tandem; built by Denise Szekely- claimed to be a Jack's Special
Chestnut Chum: 31.5" 33.75" Tandem

Last edited:
My 15' reproduction Morris, of which there are abundant photos in this forum, is 30.5" beam at the gunwales, 33 max beam at the tumblehomed sides, and I'd estimate 32" at the waterline. It has a centralized solo seat.

I spent years building a lightweight fleet. All Kevlar or Carbon Fiber. I had no interest in Canoes over 50 pounds. Then, I bought my first W/C canoe. A Chestnut Prospector Garry from Dave Curtis. It is just over 80 pounds. During the first paddle I quickly realized the benefit of heavy canoes in the water. So quiet and stable. Smooth over waves and less prone to being pushed around by the wind. I sold all of my lightweight canoes almost immediately after that first paddle. Now my main paddling canoe is my Chestnut Ogilvy Grilse. 110 pounds with the close rib option. And my lightest is my Bob's Special . 58 pounds.

That Oglivy is a nice looking boat Sean, can you post a pic for the Chestnut fans?

There is something about big canoes. Whenever I bought a bigger boat for a specific purpose it became my favorite, even solo.

I had to have a light one though for tripping.

Thanks Al. Some shots from trips last Summer.

Attachments

• 20220730_200642.jpg
    20220730_200642.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220716_204523.jpg
    20220716_204523.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220730_144054.jpg
    20220730_144054.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 11
Does a 100 pound canoe behave significantly different than a 40 pound canoe with 60 pounds of gear?
It might have change the center of gravity, depending on the density of the gear. But I find that very light boats benefit from loading.

Very true Gamma!

Since most of my canoeing - till the past few years at least - are week or longer trips with many portages - not sure I could even do it with a 100 pound canoe. But I can see I'd feel the momentum and steadiness of wood and canvas canoe without gear.

I dunno, for me nothing is sacred, I have loved aluminium canoes, royalex canoes, fiberglass canoes, strippers and wood/canvas. I paddle mostly strippers now because I can't afford the outrageous prices for a flyweight solo...I would love one of those 30 pound things.

I still have one wood canvas, I usually get it out once a year, although this year it stayed in the garage. Canoe design does make a difference, and some canoes fill the niche better than others. I still prefer the Raven as a solo canoe, it fits my style, but for tandem I will take whatever is available.

I would like to get my hands on a wood canvas square stern, but I will still die happy if I don't.

I own a Chestnut Chum and a carbon fiber Hemlock Nessmuk. I used to own an OT Yankee, and have access to it and an OT Fifty-Pounder. I prefer the W/C because they're alive... and quiet. They flex with the water, are warmer to sit/kneel in/on when it's cold, and your paddle knock doesn't "boom" like on a non-wood hull.

They are only heavier, imho. I know little about hydrodynamics.

I agree with the common reasons posted such as they are quieter and the flex more, this is most definitely true. As a dedicated solo tripper, a little flex and being quiet are real important to me. I see more animals and enjoy how the canoe feels alive while on a trip.

I have a 15 foot prospector made by Headwaters Canoe, built on a Chestnut Ranger mold. I enjoy symmetrical designs with some rocker. So my canoe is very maneuverable which excels in narrow twisties when out exploring, or while fishing reefs and structure. My canoe has high stems which excels in shedding large waves, keeping water out especially when crossing larger bodies of water. My canoe has deep rounded bilges so when I used to kneel, it would snug up right there giving the canoe a good lean. It would steady up superbly and while offering a narrower profile on the water, would paddle faster with less effort. My dog would lay in the bilge curve as well we could make a good amount of miles easily in comfort.
My canoe is not as fast as modern boats ( not by much ) but as a solo tripper it does not really matter to me. Also, it offers me a great sense of predictability relative to large waves and high winds … maybe because it is a heavier canoe … it is not blown around with every whisper of wind. With a decent paddle stroke I can paddle in windy conditions with a great amount of control. Lastly, my old out of date designed prospector paddles even better with a tripping load. It does not get less maneuverable or feel loggy. Paddle effort remains the same, but my glide is enhanced. So when loaded and paddling in twisties or in large waves and wind the canoe feels secure, predictable … and with soft mild flex it feels alive to me. I can paddle quiet and make miles with minimal effort comfortably. My canoe is set up to be a pretty big solo so even though it is only 15 feet long I can trip a long time without needing resupply. Lastly, as Robin noted a while back, it is nice to look at.

I have a Nova Craft Pal, a NorthStar Polaris, and have owned others lIke a Penobscot etc. They are all really great boats and when set up as large solo trippers fit my needs very well. To that end they pale in every way with the exception of weight and slight speed advantage over my 15 prospector … plus I like looking at it so much more. My dog Jake, when on his travel pad, is happier in the Prospector on a trip as well. Maybe the sense of nostalgia is too great in me to truly remain objective, but these are my reasons why a wood canvas just “ feels “ better ( nicer ) to paddle, especially on a trip.

Bob.FTr6LLq.jpg

SOLOBOB1-280617-090754.jpgSOLOBOB1-200618-091440.jpgSOLOBOB1-200618-092019.jpg

Last edited:
I own a Chestnut Chum and a carbon fiber Hemlock Nessmuk. I used to own an OT Yankee, and have access to it and an OT Fifty-Pounder. I prefer the W/C because they're alive... and quiet. They flex with the water, are warmer to sit/kneel in/on when it's cold, and your paddle knock doesn't "boom" like on a non-wood hull.

They are only heavier, imho. I know little about hydrodynamics.
Seeker- how does the OT Yankee paddle in your opinion… I’m working on mine now… will be my first experience ever with a W/C canoe… thank you

Back