• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Who's ready for spring, 2024?

Reaction score
My annual Father/Son canoe trip down they Neches River is in a few weeks. Can't wait to get on the water. Hoping to get on the water a lot more this year.

First Adirondack canoe race of the season "Round The Mountain" at Saranac Lake NY is coming on 11 May, sponsored by NFCT. Got to continue working out hard on my canoe paddle trainer machine. Even though this has been a far warmer than normal winter, the surface waters around here are still white and hard.

Last edited:
Went for my first paddle of the year a couple days ago.
Lake was totally devoid of Ice. Looks like I could have gotten out sooner, but it's been pretty windy lately.
Water is still pretty cold, so I stuck close to shore and at one end.
I've been exercising all winter, which helped a lot, I'm sure, but I still felt rusty.
I'm going to check the weather report and see when I might be able to go next.

Wait??? when did fall end??? we've had a couple of cold snaps, and a few snow squalls indicative of october/ november weather, but no real winter yet...

Maple sap buckets were hanging on the roadside trees the third week in February! What the heck is going on…..February for goodness sake.
Jim

Me. Pulled out some gear, will see my northern Wisconsin buddy at Canoecopia next weekend who can advise me on UP ice out, been carrying a canoe to be ready for portaging, been out on several day paddles on local river, ready to go with ice out 300 miles to the north.

Lakes are still frozen in my part of the Adirodacks. But on one of the rare recent sunny days, I got my telescopes out to test equpment and prepare them for the total solar eclipse passing over my location next month.
Canoe wise, I have a new Placidboat Shadow on order, which Joe promised would be completed by now. I am waiting for the sand and salt to be cleared from the roadways before I make the 3 hour road trip to pick it up.

Last edited:
I do most of my paddling in winter. This year shoulder trouble has kept me ashore since december.

Back