• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Who's getting old?

Ha ha...When I saw the title of this thread, the first thing I thought was "me!".
We were talking at work today, I guess I'm not your average 58 year old. I went back country skiing this year a bunch of times. For those not in the know, that involves climbing up a mountain on skis, then skiing down. You have to be able to ski any terrain, any condition, oh, and be able to climb a couple thousand vertical feet before the downhill trip, and maybe a traverse to get in and out.
My best day was 4,800 feet of climbing, and 4 ft of powder skiing.
And I still ride a bicycle about 2,000 miles per year. When I'm in shape, I can average 20 mph for an hour, and I can climb hills like a mountain goat.
I also come up with these crazy ADK trips that everyone loves to complain about during, but brag about after.
My Darling Bride asks if I'll ever slow down...
In all truth, I do feel the years, but mostly due to reduced muscle mass and longer recoveries from injury. I just need more T!!
Other than that, I don't mind seeing the pages on the calendar flip.

If I can still BC ski, bicycle and paddle/carry ten years from now (albeit at a slower pace) that will be OK. I'm afraid to slow down, I might get tired!!

Thanks, Dave.

Oh, and I just had these insurance wrecks inspected after repairing them, waiting for the titles. The Jeep goes (for a fat profit, I hope) and the Bonnie stays.

DSC_1564.JPG

DSC_1558.JPG

Stripperguy, I don't think I could keep up with you just walking around the block!

At 64, I'm certifiably old and crazy. I ride my bike anywhere from 200 to 1,200 miles a year and go on two 10-day Boundary Waters trips a year (which aren't exactly physically demanding). Based on last year's stress test, I have the heart of a 40-year-old athlete (on the treadmill at 170 beats/min while chatting with the med tech), and the echocardiogram showed zero deposits anywhere in or near my heart. Got a family history of cancer, though.

Old? naah, I just look it. But I'm almost completely out of touch with today's culture. Is Smiley Cyrus a happy farm implement dealer? You know, that McCormick guy?

You son of a gun...

While you are celebrating your 58th birthday I'm battling a kidney stone at the ripe old age of 33 - something seems wrong here...

Anyway... Have a good one!

Last edited:
You son of a gun...

While you are celebrating your 58th birthday I'm battling a kidney stone at the ripe old age of 33 - something seems wrong here...

Hee hee. Never had one of those beauts but have had many many guys in the back of the ambulance with me promise to sell their souls for painkillers. No lithotripsy available?

Stripperguy, I don't think I could keep up with you just walking around the block!

At 64, I'm certifiably old and crazy. I ride my bike anywhere from 200 to 1,200 miles a year and go on two 10-day Boundary Waters trips a year (which aren't exactly physically demanding). Based on last year's stress test, I have the heart of a 40-year-old athlete (on the treadmill at 170 beats/min while chatting with the med tech), and the echocardiogram showed zero deposits anywhere in or near my heart. Got a family history of cancer, though.

Old? naah, I just look it. But I'm almost completely out of touch with today's culture. Is Smiley Cyrus a happy farm implement dealer? You know, that McCormick guy?

I work in an extremely advanced technical field, all of my peers and employees are nerds!! But I do keep in touch with some of the modern culture...even though I don't particularly care for the electronic intrusions (like this typing isn't??). I have never listened to pop music, always been a progressive rock guy. So I guess I don't know who this Guy Smiley is either.
Lucky me, no cancer history in my genes, but another little genetic gift that is actually easy to completely avoid.

Hey Stripperguy - Looks like we share a birthday if the 10th of April is your special day! If so, Happy Birthday!

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...Be well.

snapper

Well happy birthday to you too! And to my SIL, and his dad, and my secretaries husband, and my purchasing agent.
I suppose January is a good month for "doing the laundry"!

You son of a gun...

Thanks, Mike.
My BIL had his 1st stone around your age...relax, said BIL is 50 now and has only had 4 more since then!

dang! All I said was Happy Birthday and we now have a medical history show and tell! :)

Have another look at the subject line. :)

Seems to me (just speaking for myself) that there's a certain amount of "Hey, I'm not really old" going on.

Well I'm still in my twenties. I'll be 20-24 this year. Age is a state of mind. Feeling old is physiological condition.

Happy birthday to all those people on your list SG and everybody else.

My age varies by time of day and activities...
1st hour of the day, I'm a touch over 100!
By mid morning, I'm back to my usual 30 something.
On skis, I'm forever 25...
Under a canoe, with a full pack ------- who cares!? As long as I can still tromp along.

Age is something I can't keep up with.

It startles me to realize I will turn 57 this June, but as long as I'm still enjoying doing the same stuff I was doing at 40 and 25 (and 12) how can I complain? Sure I take it a little slower, but I also know how to do it easier and savor it a little more.

Back