• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

What's planned for the fall?

G

It's looking like we are going to do two more short trips sans canoe this year.

One overnight to Lake Lila with the dog at end of September and a 3 day trip to Hogtown (Lake George Wild Forest) in early October, again with the dog, no boat.

We decided fall makes for good hiking and the dog has been home all summer, so we need to give him a chance to go to the mountains.

Then soon enough, hopefully, it will be time to get out the skis and snowshoes! :cool:

I'm still trying to figure out the logistics to paddle the upper Hudson, from Newcomb to the Iron Bridge, or maybe even to the Indian confluence. And come Oct 1, there's some more of the former Finch lands and waters. We generally do a few day fall trip, might even do the Cedar (finally) now that I wouldn't need to slog upstream on the Rock, but rather loop on the lower, upper Hudson. Going tomorrow with the family to my buddy's club...Adirondack Live Steamers...a very cool live steam train circuit. Later, maintenance on the income properties, and then wait for snow. Stowe has some great deals this year, and I belong to the Schenectady Winter Sports Club, they have a ski house just down the road from Stowe. And then, hopefully, lots and lots of back country skiing.

Small game opens in 9 day and then October bring moose season. So any trips I do will be hunting related from here on out. Was thinking it's time to take the rack off the truck.

Going back to Algonquin next week for 6 days. Got a boat rented, but no itinerary yet. Poring over my maps!

October in the Adks with a canvas tent, canvas canoe and wood stove. 5 days will be about the limit the wife will put up with me away. No deer hunting trip this year, non res NY license just too much.

The WCHA is having a "get together" Nov. first thru Nov. third. We will meet around Friday noon at the Stephen C Foster state park in southern Georgia. There are cabins and camping sites available. OK so it is not Canada or the Adirondacks, but if you are on your way to Disney World it is an interesting weekend.

Like many of you all I am not exclusively in a canoe while in the outdoors. With a third of 2013 still left on the books, I plan on getting out quite a bit still. A few years ago I was still paddling in December. Doubt that will happen again anytime soon. I have a few backpacking trips already scheduled though.

Bow season (deer) starts two weeks from tomorrow (about a month), then primitive (a week), then regular gun (into January), then bow again (end of January), and it all overlaps squirrel season, which ends on the last day of February... so I'm booked til then!

This might be the first time in years I’ve not gotten away for a paddling trip. Work, life, and stuff, have all conspired to cancel canoeing for this year. I have no complaints though, as we’ve had good times and good news in our family over the past while. Still, I’d love to steal away from work for a few days, to point my compass north. We’ll see. Everyone’s plans out there sound good. Maybe I’ll tag along? I can’t hunt, can’t fish, and can’t cook. Hmmm, sounds like my resume’ needs work.

Is Toronto ever really considered "down here in the south"?
Haha. It is if you're from northwestern Ontario.
Though when I was a kid we referred to it as "down east."

The French River is our Mason-Dixon Line!

Is Toronto ever really considered "down here in the south"?
From here to Toronto is further than it is from Toronto to you. But this is a family friendly site and I won't say what people call Toronto. LOL Just kidding it is a excellent place...with way way way too many people and cars.

I’m still hesitant to call anything a “plan”. I’ve come to enjoy loose-ended options more than plans. I do have some ideas though.

I’m committed at home until the middle of September, but after that I want to head back north. I’m not sure where or how far, but I do love September in the North Country.

I had thought of heading west this fall, but it’s already into my favorite time of year on the east coast. October/November becomes an ideal time for the Carolinas. Maybe an Everglades trip in early 2014.

Closer to home I’ll take as much winter Assateague as I can fit into favorable weather forecasts. And launch forecasts; I’d like to be at paddled in and camped at Pope Bay to watch a rocket launch from Wallops Island.

I missed this one on Friday (wayyyy to early in the year to paddle into Assateague):

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2013/09/nasa-moon-rocket-launch-visible-tonight-93688.html

I long ago missed my chance at seeing a shuttle take off from the Ula May Wildlife Sanctuary just outside Cape Canaveral. We were minutes away on Rte 1 with boats racked and time to spare, tuned into Canaveral on the radio, when a fuel problem scrubbed the launch.

Watching a rocket launch from a canoe-close vantage point remains a bucket list thing. Unlike the shuttle launch it may not provide the startling visible shock wave, bending the marsh grass into an onrushing horizon line, but any type of launch is a less frequent opportunity and I’ll take what I can get.

Haha. It is if you're from northwestern Ontario.
Though when I was a kid we referred to it as "down east."

The French River is our Mason-Dixon Line!

Just poking a friendly jab. Toronto is south. Hi down there from Maine, north of you

The WCHA is having a "get together" Nov. first thru Nov. third. We will meet around Friday noon at the Stephen C Foster state park in southern Georgia. There are cabins and camping sites available. OK so it is not Canada or the Adirondacks, but if you are on your way to Disney World it is an interesting weekend.

Well, I won't be able to make it, but I hope you consider posting a trip report with some pictures of the canoes in attendance. Sounds like a nice time.

LOL I doubt any of us ever go to Disney World willingly but the Stephen Foster Park is wonderful for camping and cabining. Question about the alligators..is it hatching time for the littleuns or is it too early. One of my memories about paddling down there is seeing a very befuddled turtle riding the back of a gator in the lagoon. Turtles are dinner and this one must have been in quite a predicament..its log that it climbed onto somehow came with teeth.
Also are the cypress leaves down in November?

Back