• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

What's planned for the fall?

9/28-10/3 Adirondacks Whitney Wilderness area paddle trip; hope to get some birds eye views of the lakes with some color this time. Then roll straight into overnight in Dolly Sods WV 10/5-10/6. Whitewater paddling and hopefully snowshoeing will prevail through the remainder of the year as well as some deep winter overnight paddles.

Cheers,

Barry

Trip with the high school kids next weekend, canoe moose hunting in October, that's probably about all I'll be able to squeeze in this fall.

9/28-10/3 Adirondacks Whitney Wilderness area paddle trip; hope to get some birds eye views of the lakes with some color this time. Then roll straight into overnight in Dolly Sods WV 10/5-10/6. Whitewater paddling and hopefully snowshoeing will prevail through the remainder of the year as well as some deep winter overnight paddles.

Cheers,

Barry

Barry,

We are going to be at Lila that weekend, just for an overnight. I assume you'll be passing through?

We were going to take the dog and just hike in but sadly our dog was hit by a car last Friday and was very badly injured. We had to put him to sleep.

Soooo... it looks as though we are going to bring our little dog and the boat, provided the little dog lives that long!

l'oiseau, Truly sorry to hear about your dog. When my dog moves on I'll probably take some epic trip in her honor. I just asked for vacation today and have to sit down with a map. I did the Whitney loop in May and this time I am taking it slow and easy and getting on some of the hikes myself. I'm easy to spot, I'll be in a deep red wooden canoe with a copper colored Chesapeake guiding me along. Barry

Unexpected trips

I’m heading to NW Pennsylvania to paddle-in and think about a recently departed friend.

It could take a while.

Sorry to hear that Mike. Those types of trips are the worst.

I have a friend who is battling with lung cancer. I was hopeful at first but I fear one of those is coming my way soon.

Sorry to hear that Mike. Those types of trips are the worst.

L’oiseau, I hope not. And I expect not. My friend had 60+ years of living a man’s life to the full; plus he had mad skills and kissed no one’s arse ever. I hope to honor him with happiness and quietude, and maybe a little raucous behavior late at night around the fire.

A few mutual friends may paddle in by while I’m there. It’s a place we shared a trip or two on, and I expect to tear up a bit when I’m into my cups and stories are being told. He deserves nothing less.

Last edited:
I'm getting my canvas tent and stove ready now for a few days in the Little Tupper Lake or Low's, (NY ADKs) area for later October. Would be nice to meet some others in there, I'll post the dates later as my plans or others plans develop.

BTW, anybody in southern Quebec or Ontario is closer too this area than I am, would be good to meet some of you or renew old acquaintances.

Cold campers welcome, I'll share my heated tent till lights out.

That’s a fitting way to honour a friend’s memory, Mike.
I don’t doubt he’ll be sharing that trip with you.
That’s a generous invite Robin. Stuff got in the way of all our trips this year, so a late season paddle surrounded by autumn colours sounds nice. Take care all,
Brad

That’s a fitting way to honour a friend’s memory, Mike.
I don’t doubt he’ll be sharing that trip with you.
Brad

Not to get all mystical, but five of us were sitting around the campfire on Friday night, telling tales of our departed friend, when a bolide flashed bright enough for us to turn and watch it streak across the SW horizon.

Sept 27, 2013 Bolide:
http://lunarmeteoritehunters.blogspot.com/2013/09/breaking-news-oh-mi-ont-pa-il-wv-ky-tn.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+LatestWorldwideMeteor%2FmeteoriteNews+(Latest+Worldwide+Meteor%2FMeteorite+News)

Not to get all mystical, but five of us were sitting around the campfire on Friday night, telling tales of our departed friend, when a bolide flashed bright enough for us to turn and watch it streak across the SW horizon.

Sept 27, 2013 Bolide:
http://lunarmeteoritehunters.blogspot.com/2013/09/breaking-news-oh-mi-ont-pa-il-wv-ky-tn.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+LatestWorldwideMeteor%2FmeteoriteNews+(Latest+Worldwide+Meteor%2FMeteorite+News)

You guys were lucky to share that moment, all of you. That's a good part of what friendship is about, sharing the moments. I'm glad you were able to do that.

Back