• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

What's happening to the price of wood canoes?

Well put, Rippy. Seeing the "writing on the wall" is both a blessing and a curse. The blessing, I suppose, is the sense of urgency it can provoke. I vaguely remember what it felt like to be oblivious to the signs of imminent demise. That's one feature, and not too much else, that I envy in youth. They seem much less engaged in the conscious pondering of people and things disappearing. At least I think youth, and myself of course when I was younger, were less concerned about the temporary nature of things. I sense that being the last remaining practitioner of something, of anything, would have little to recommend it. Like the poor birds in "Last of the Curlews". A lonesome vista. On a happier note, tomorrow I'm taking out a 50's-era cedar and canvas Langford that hasn't gotten wet this year, and I'm going to paddle my local reservoir, rain or shine.

Rippy we are in the same boat you and I. I detest the button pusher mentality. I am also at the age where I have to scale back and divest myself of some projects and dreams.It is not a bad thing, just different. One project at a time is the new motto. So in reality I have like six on the go ...lol.

It would make me happy to find someone to pass the canoes on to and there may be some interest up north. I will have to see. Find em fix em love em.
As for not doing it one more time...we will see. I am a little too stubborn to give in just yet. Using Robin and YC as yardsticks I figure I can keep at it right to the end. Just a little slower. For me a hot tent weekend at the park is just as good as being out canoeing the wilds. It's all perspective.

Just to clarify, I still will plan a few trips. I have gave up on planning the results. The last few have become more leisure. Get to a spot, set up camp and vegetate. I used to be more focused on proving something or measuring up. Not so much anymore. I'm so happy to see Alan take these adventurous trips and I envy him for doing so. I started soloing to late and my body is in a slow decline so I'll have to settle for trip reports of epic adventures. But that's OK too.

Back on topic. I wouldn't be surprised to see WC canoes come back at into vogue at some point. Maybe it will be the next thing that replaces Lumber Sexuals. Can you picture men dressed in period Main Guide gear portaging canoes around Manhattan? Stranger things have happened. If lumber sexuals will pay $250 + for a painted handled axe, can you imagine what a WC canoe would bring. Canoe sexuals, you heard it here first.

I had no idea. I guess I don't get out much. I got a pair of LLBean Boots About 30 years ago and wore them hunting for about twenty years. It wasn't a thing then. My USA made Carhart coat lasted about as long. I bought another to replace it but I don't think I'll be able to wear this one out walking from the truck to the house in the winter.

My first fashion statement experience with LL Bean was at Bishop's University in Quebec. Many of my fellow students were from the New England states. Maybe I was overtly observant but the young ladies from New Hampshire were very casual and laid back and fun to talk to, the Mainers were casual and friendly too, but the Vermonters were prima donna preppie all the way, back off and don't touch the threads. Okay, maybe I should've been paying more attention to my studies. Anyway, I did notice the Bean boots. And Bean slacks. And Bean shirts. Man those Vermont girls were so cool. And way out of reach for a long hair like me. Whatever dude.
It's funny that times haven't changed. But I guess we shouldn't be so surprised. The blue jean history started with work clothing and ended with fashion statement. And of course let's not pretend that canvas duck coats aren't fashionable. I'm chuckling at the moment remembering the black rubber boots of my youth, with wool socks and their tops folded down to look swashbuckler, dashing and piratey. Man, we were cool. When are they coming back, eh? Ha!

Prices can be all over the place with the uninformed more likely to think their boat is worth way more than it is. I checked out and passed on a 20 foot stripper with a hole in the bow for 400 bucks and just saw the boat listed again for $1999.00 and it still had the hole in it.

Back