• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

What to do with this label

Reaction score
I picked up a Prescott Canoe today and it has a partial label on the deck. I know I'll never find another. Would you sand it off because there's not enough to save and just save the pic, sand around it and recoat over it, or a 3rd option I haven't thought of.

My lab inspected it and said it was a Keep'ah

If you can find a decent picture of what it is supposed to look like you could have someone make you a new water slide decal like it was originally. I know others have done it.

You will have to sand the inwales and decks so not much chance of saving what is there, so take a photo and preserve the memory, or, cut out the rails and remove the deck and hang those on the wall.

I'm only guessing, but that deck looks like it might need to be replaced. Would you be able to draw a complete replica from the bits that are there? Then take the deck out and hang it in your garage, paint the new deck with the logo. Are you trying for authenticity, or will it be a paddler? I really like the looks of that hull. What are the dimensions?

Basic dimensions are 18'x36"x12" I haven't check the rocker or under the decks. All the planking has beveled side edges.

Right now I can't find any information on the Prescott Boat Company other then they were in business from 1941-52 in Brewer Maine. I just wrote their historical society to see if they had anything.

dang, that's a sweet canoe! Those dimensions are very similar to the EM White Guide canoe. Can't wait to see what you do with it!

Educate me, why most wood canvas canoes where/ are so shallow? 12" compare to the more common 14-15 inches of today's boats!

I found this post from the guy I got the canoe from over on WCHA.

I was lucky enough to pick up the Prescott canoe off the classifieds this past week. It looks like a very interesting canoe: 18' long and 36" wide with a depth of almost 18" below the decks. It has been worked on in the past so I don't know if these are the correct dimensions. It looks very wide and shallow at the middle and the in/out gunwales are at a steep angle going away from the rib tops. Does anyone have any info on this builder other than the info on the Maine Canoe Builders on this website." Presott canoe and boat company, Webster, Maine". Webster in just south of Old Town on the Penobscot river. I would like to get the proper dimensions so the restoration can begin! Thanks

I haven't had time to examine the center, and headed to Canada to drop off my step-daughter at College so it will be a few days to see if it was modified.

It will most likely sand the decks, hope to find a picture of the label to make a decal of, there really isn't enough to save.

Educate me, why most wood canvas canoes where/ are so shallow? 12" compare to the more common 14-15 inches of today's boats!

Dont think they really are but hull shape of those older boats tended to be more highly flared than current boats. Flare=waveshedding. Its very hard to get a lot of tuck in a wood canvas boat as then it won't come off the form.

My pre 1920 Robertson comes in at 13 inch depth. This was not a big water boat. Made for courting use on the Charles River in the Boston area.

The rest of the measurements are 17" from the top of the stew to the top of the bow deck, 18" on the stern.

Ribs are 5/16" x 2 1/8" wide and generally 2 1/8" apart with some irregularity.

No rocker

The only ribs that show any sign of cutting are 3 that were replaced, but I'll look closer when I take off the outers next month

Lacking "Mad Skills" with canoes, I'll try not to disappoint.

“Mad Skills” are abundant on this board.

That estimation is coming from someone on the shade-tree boat tinkering side, but having one site that includes self-designed hulls, wood & canvas rebuilds, strippers, from-scratch carbon fiber stuff, wannigans, Duluth pack refurbishments and everything in between keeps me looking.

I know there are boards dedicated to stripper and to WC canoes, but those quickly become too samesame to hold my attention.

I have zero interest in a WC boat, but if you post the rehab process I’ll be watching with interest.

Will do, but I'm using a shoe horn on my September calendar to get everything into to it. First trip to Canada taking my daughter to college done, second will be Killarney later in the month.

Last edited:
But the gear was much heavier, no? And people use to use there boat for work rather than pleasure(other than the pleasure craft that were made in those days)

before old ole' evinrude -- canoes was where it was at for pleasure-boating -- look at some of the old ACA or stoney-lake regatta photos...no gear beyond a girl, a pick-a-nick basket, a ukulele or maybe victrola... [h=1][/h]

This canoe is at most 70 years old. The gear weighed more, but I don't think people have changed that much, other then their waist lines. The Canoes were made in the shadow of Old Town Factory so they must have seen a market for a shallower canoe. I haven't been able to find any information about the company.

Back