• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

What stove for Hot Tent

heading out hunting-sorry no pics. After several days the area around my stove is melted to the ground, but stove is fine.
Turtle

We tie in everything when traveling, other than if we are on a small calm lake. Also I cary the stove in a Cordura bag, so if it ever get loose, it would take a wile before it sink to the bottom!!

Course at that time of year (to use and need the wood stove) you are going to be extra careful, cautious about picking your route and staying closer to shore...but stuff happens.

From a fellow I traveled with once...he tied all his large items w a nice long length of pack cord and on the end was either a tennis ball, empty smallish jug of bleach, container w an easy to tie to handle, etc...in the event of an upset, the items would sink to the bottom but you would have the cord and a float to hopefully retrieve them by the time you got yourself situated in the boat again.
Cords were generally about 35' so he musta had a thought about the depth of the water he generally travelled in. He also showed me the trick of a small cord on the end of a drybag pushed up into the ends of a touring kayak, that way, you'd not have to wrassle with hatches, or kneel at the end of the day, just pull the cord and out comes the bag.

A piece of quarter inch ply covered on one side with aluminum flashing makes a great stove base. Cut it a few inches longer and wider that the stove. You can use aluminum foil tape to make hinges if you need it to fit within a specific size such a the width of your toboggan. The aluminum reflects almost all the radiant heat and stays quite cold. The ply is very light but maybe AG would like to make us a carbon/kevlar with foam core version!

You can get that stove much closer in to the side of the tent which would keep the doorway clearer.

A canvas tarp works well on the floor, non-slip but heavy. I like the idea of the mesh.

If I were to take the stove for a paddling trip, I would probably use the sundowner. This would be mainly for winter camping and hopefully an ice out gathering in the spring with Robin and company. Hint Hint.

If you guys get an ADK trip going this winter I'm in. Or, your welcome to come to northwest Ct. at 1200' elev we almost always have good snow Jan-March and about 2000 ac of stealth camping out my back door lots of parking.

Ice out trip for sure in the ADK's

Coldfeet is trying to plan a trip, possibly in CT., early December. Snapper and Southcove seem to be in on conversation as well, they are posting on Wintertrekking, I registered but have not been accepted there so I cannot post. I guess they know me too well. ;) We will have to get them planning here too

Last edited:
I have used two different stoves to heat my AO 12. I have a two dog steel stove which does a very good job and holds a fire for over 6 hours if dampered properly. The other stove I use is a Nu-Way single burner propane. It also does a fantastic job. For a canoeing stove I would not want to carry the propane tank for the NuWay and the two dog is heavy. I would probably opt for a Four Dog ti version but they are real spendy...

To second what Canotrouge just mentioned...having a boxy stove makes cooking a lot easier since you can place more than one pot/pan on the top surface at a time. I haven't seen a round body stove yet that doesn't look like it would be difficult to cook on. At the very least it pretty much limits what you can do so if you're not on a solo trip, group cooking could be challenging.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

No Title

agreed a flat top is needed for sure. My stove has a baffle inside, plus I added a side shelf to get the pans directly off of the hottest part of the cook top. I also lengthened the legs on this stove from 8 to 12 inches. This puts the top surface at 24 inches in height. Works very well for me with the chair I am using.

Attachments

• photo5775.jpg
    photo5775.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 0
I tried to find the 39$ sheepherder stove I have on the internet. I found similar shaped stoves, but they were 175$ or so. Should have bought extras and saved them. Mine is perfect for me.
Turtle

hey,,, new to this forum.. I have the 4-dog stove for a 12x14,,, A kni-co Alaskan jr and 4-dog UL TI1 stove. for my Hammock Smokehouse outfitter.. They are all great stoves...

Thank you for all the input, I happened to go with the Kni-Co Alaskan.
Welcome Smokehouse.
I really wanted the 3 dog from Four Dog stoves, but he would not be shipping till January when I inquired.
It almost seems like we need a separate hot tent thread here.

Smokehouse I am seriously pondering the 4-dog UL T1 for canoe tripping due to it's light weight. How well/long does it hold a fire and without a seal on the front door can you still control it fairly well? Does your stove have the baffle and if so do you recommend it as well?

how handy is the water tank? When I bought my 4-dog I also ordered it with the stainless steel side water tank, but have never used it. I found it easier to just keep a tea pot sitting on the stove for hot water needs. Does anyone else use a water tank on their stove?

Last edited:
Several of my winter camping buddies either bought water tanks with their stoves of made stoves with them. None of them like them. Only good for hot wash water to take a bath and who does that at camp? A warming shelf next to the stovetop and a couple of teapots you can reposition to regulate heat gives you plenty of hot to boiling water if you have a sheetmetal stove.
Turtle

Several of my winter camping buddies either bought water tanks with their stoves of made stoves with them. None of them like them. Only good for hot wash water to take a bath and who does that at camp? A warming shelf next to the stovetop and a couple of teapots you can reposition to regulate heat gives you plenty of hot to boiling water if you have a sheetmetal stove.
Turtle

Yep.....that is pretty much what I figured out as well. Mine has never had a drop of water in it...

Smokehouse I am seriously pondering the 4-dog UL T1 for canoe tripping due to it's light weight. How well/long does it hold a fire and without a seal on the front door can you still control it fairly well? Does your stove have the baffle and if so do you recommend it as well?

The 4-dog ul1 I have has no baffle. I had him add sleeves on both side of stove so if I wanted I could add my side shelf from Kni-co stove and the 2 gal water tank... The main reason I even bought the water tank was to help shield heat while I was in the hammock and give alittle hot water...But I agree with others... much better to put a pot on top... The ul1 with no baffle, pipe and spark arrestor weighs 10 lbs. I can get 4 hours burn time before I need to add wood... I normally use the bob saw to cut wood which is the best I've found... To me,,, this stove is the best of the best... I have alittle video of it I did while backpacking... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMinWa6AHuQ

But I do like my kni-co stove also... normally I use the kni-co in my canvas Smokehouse outfitter,,, and ul1 in my sil Smokehouse...
I do alot of backpacking trips, but plan to use this on some canoe expedition trips this Winter, early Spring... Yes,,, I'm far enough south our rivers don't total freeze up most of the time.

Back