• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Stove pipe question for you hot tent users

Reaction score
In your opinion, how far should your stove pipe project out from the tent?

I'm planning to have the stove jack out the door (like Robin's setup) and not straight up the roof. The 8.5 feet of nesting pipes that came with the knico trekker stove seem pretty long if venting out sideways.

Pipe should be as vertical as possible and ideally the top should be up as high as the ridge line for the best draw. A vertical pipe is also less susceptible to gusts of wind blowing back down the pipe, filling your tent with smoke (oh how we laughed!)

I vent mine out the roof and the pipe is less than 3 feet above the canvas and there is no screen or spark arrester. The tent has been set up for about 10 or 11 months over the past three years and I probably have two fires a week average and I only got two or three burn holes. In all that time I've only had the wind blow down the pipe one time.

I've two canvas tents w side wall stove jacks, plus my Snowtrekker... so side venting is just fine with me. I keep the same Kni-co pipe length that came with both stoves (one is 4" diameter, one is 5" and have used the std top cap w a round of hardware cloth inside to catch any sparks (just as often set up on dry grass in the late fall or early spring). I throw up the tripod sticks and have also used a wire ring off the sidewall as an option to support the pipe.

Probably a straight shot up is best, but I found the more important element (for my usage) is setting up the tent with the door and stove side away from the prevailing wind, same as I would w a roof vent. I have also experimented somewhat with bringing the stove more to the center of the floor, where it and the pipe certainly radiate more heat into the tent than closer to the side wall and door.

If you frequently camp where rain or an icy mixture is common, I have found the side wall/door jack option to also work nicely.

Wall tents were traditionally rigged with an external frame cut from live poles on site. Placing the stove jack in the end wall (front or back) allows the stove pipe to be angled upwards and fastened to the end of the Ridgewood, a very secure set up. Taking the pole through the roof would have been difficult as they only had stove jacks made from metal sheet. These do not seal against the pipe so let water/ snow run down the pipe. Older tents also used a fly so locating the pipe in the roof would have further complicated things.

We had the wind switch directions three times out camping at the weekend, adding a T on the end can help prevent down drafts.

I'm pretty sure that I could use some more pipe on my set up, we plan on using the tent and stove next week when the grandkids from Maine visit and I'll pick up some more pipe for a test..

As mine is now, my stovepipes are only 11" long, I have 3 lengths and an angle pipe. My stove is only 11" wide, 12" deep and 8" high, so I don't have much more room to store many more pipes inside the stove for travel. I nest the 3 straight pieces and I have an angle piece, so they fill up the stove
I noticed some darkening of my interior canvas while I was drying the tent out at home last month, no doubt I get some smoke back into the tent on occasion. My stove has been altered so much that is has some leaks, and I do use my tent mostly around open water campsites spring and fall where it's susceptible to varying winds, the tent door always faces the water.
And I have no burn holes in over 50 nights.
I don't winter camp much anymore so I'm not too worried about the smoke.

Back